Working Moms
Options

Going Part-time

What would your dream schedule be if you only had to work 20-25 hours a week?

4 hrs, 5 days a week?
2 full days, 1 half?
4 days with fridays off?

Something else? I have a part-time job opportunity this week and I want to be prepared when asked. Currently, I work full-time.

This would be a VERY good change for me - exactly what I want. 

FYI: may DD in case a co-worker is on here.

PortraitBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Going Part-time

• Options
    2 1/2.  I look for a p/t position, but I'd only take it if it were 3-4 days a week.  If I have to get up and get me and DD ready in the morning, I might as well just stay.  Plus, all the activities I'd be interested in doing w/ her are in the morning.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Options

One PT job I work Monday, Wednesday, Friday.  Mondays are 1-5, Wednesday 9-5 and Friday 9-1.  I fill in some other hours from home.  The changing hours work well with this company because they are a 7 day a week operation and are open until 11pm.

The other job I work Tuesday and Thursday.  Tuesdays are from home and Thursdays are 1pm-8pm in the office.  I add in some hours during the evening on non-work days.  The hours work for this one because I am conducting investigations so I set up meeting times and don't really need to be available to anyone.  

I am about to drop one of these PT gigs so I have been thinking about the perfect schedule.  I'm working around preschool drop off and pick up so that influences things a bit. I am leaning toward working the bulk of my hours on Tuesday and Thursday (10 hour days) so I have five days when I don't have to go in to the office.  That's what I'm thinking about today anyway!

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I currently work part time - 3 full days per week. I'd personally go with the 2.5 days. It will likely be less expensive for childcare. Plus I'm more productive if I have a longer stretch of time at work. I also like having the 2 full weekdays at home with the kids and it minimizes the commute time and the number of days I have to get everyone ready and out the door.

My second choice (of your options) would be 4 days with Fridays off. I don't think I'd want to do 5 days of 4 hours each. 

• Options

imagemegann831:
    2 1/2.  I look for a p/t position, but I'd only take it if it were 3-4 days a week.  If I have to get up and get me and DD ready in the morning, I might as well just stay.  Plus, all the activities I'd be interested in doing w/ her are in the morning.

This exactly.  I currently work pt...3 days per week (M-W-F) and I elected to do this over 5 partial days.  For d/c it makes it much simpler as well, rather than taking DS and picking him up at lunch time.  I think that would be disruptive for both of our schedules.  I love working 3 days, every other day.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I work 20 hrs a week.  Mon and Tuesday I work 7 hrs and on Thuirsday I work 6 hrs.  I didn't have a say in the schedule, but so far (I've been there a month) I like it.

• Options

4 days , 5-6 hours/day.

I worked PT, 24 hours/week strarted at 3 full days but switched to four shorter days. So much better for the family and not having to rush, etc. I also had time to run to the gym or the store before picking up dd.  It was also better for work becasue it was hard to book meetings, and respond to questions when I was out of the office two days every week.

Child care costed more, but it was worth it for quality of life, IMO.

• Options
    2 full days, 1 half would be ideal for me. I work 3 days/week and love it. I'd have a hard time working shorter hours and actually leaving on time. I love having the full days off to do activities with my DD and not feel like I'm rushing to get to work or something.
  • Options
    I'd do 2 1/2.  At my work the only option for P/T is 2 10 hour days/ week which I have contemplated switching to (probably not until we have a 2nd LO though).  I like the idea of having full days off with LO instead of a couple 1/2 days
  • Options

I'm in the minority here, but I'd choose 4-5 days short days. I work that schedule now (usually about 17 hours spread over 5 days) and love it. It's easier from a work perspective since I get to see coworkers daily. I think being gone a few days would mean I'd come in to a big workload.  I also think it's easier for me and the kids because we have a routine in the morning. I go in later-usually 9 or 10 so I don't have to rush in the morning, but I'm home by 1 everyday.  I get a cup of coffee in the morning and get to enjoy lunch in peace. The days that I get to stay home all day, I'm not nearly as productive around the house/with the kids. I just want to lay in my pjs all day.  :)   

It's easy for me to work this schedule, since DH goes in late 1 day midweek/is off 1 day midweek and my parents take care of the kids the other 3 days so we dont do daycare. If you're doing a traditional daycare, you might look into whether they will do 4 hour days or not.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I work 24 hours a week. I do 2, 8 hour days in the office and I work the other 8 hours at home throughout the week (naps and nighttime). Personally, I have a crappy commute so the less days in the office the better. Also, I love not having to do dropoff.
  • Options
    I can see the merits of all of the proposed schedules but I would definitely pick the 2.5 days. I work FT but I work an altered schedule so that I have off on Fridays. Having whole days off, IMO, is so great for being able to schedule appointments, not having to spend gas money when we don't go anywhere, and no having to worry about drop-off/pick-up and getting ready for daycare the night before. And as pp's said, you can plan outings during the week without worrying about having to be at work for part of the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would work 2 full days and a half day!  Good luck!
  • Options
    I currently work 3 9-hour days T,W,Th (27 hours total per week).  This is pretty ideal for me, but if I were to change, I'd work 3 shorter days.
  • Options

I would def go with 2 1/2 days. The less days to get everyone ready and out the door, the better! I currently work FT but next week is my last week of FT; then I'm cutting back to 3 days/week. (Mon, Tues, & Thurs)

My dream schedule would actually be 2 days a week, but my employer wouldn't have gone for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"