Northern California Babies
Options

Toddler wanders into Walmart parking lot at 2 am

https://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/baycitynews/archive/2011/03/31/child31.DTL&tsp=1

So police find a toddler wandering a Walmart parking lot, clothed only in a diaper and t-shirt, at 3 am.  Can't find parents. I read this at 5 am and assumed the worst.

But instead, I heard on the radio this AM, that his mother woke to find him missing at 6 am and called 911.  They live across the street and he apparently got up in the middle of the night and went for a stroll.  He's okay and back home with his parents. Who I bet are spending the day installing some crazy locks on doors at their house.

It is one of my parenting nightmares, and I'm so thankful that my kid stays in bed when he wakes up.

What do my nesties think?

Re: Toddler wanders into Walmart parking lot at 2 am

• Options

Thanks for the update, I read the article this morning and was absolutely shocked.

I have to imagine there is more to the story.  This can't be the first time the kid was able to unlock the doors (if the doors were even locked), makes me wonder why precautions weren't taken before (i.e. a chain on the door, etc.).

My kids know how to unlock our doors, so every door that leads to the front yard has a chain on it that is out of their reach.  Common sense I would think.

• Options

I have run into many toddlers who have somehow managed to escape without anyone knowing. Once was on very, very busy Mission St. in Daly City. I called 911, but I think the parents found him beofre the police came. 

I also remember one time when my mom & I came home and saw the doctor-next-door's toddler son in the middle of the cul-de-sac dragging a ski pole in circles. As we got closer we noticed we had left our garage door open, and hey, that's our ski pole! So, this little boy had gotten out of his house,made his way to our house, and found something to play with in the middle of the street - all without anyone noticing. 

I think the transition between being not-so-mobile to being really talented at opening doors and getting out takes some parents by surprise. I guess it's just one of those things you need to prepare for way before you think you'll need to. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sadly it happens all too often.  We have the child locks on our doors and our alarm beeps when anyone goes outside.  After a scare with my niece right after we moved in, we turned on those annoying beeps. (She was hiding in our bathroom and no one could find her and she wouldn't answer when being called).   We also had a neighbor who's two year old was ALWAYS out in the front yard by himself.  She claims he was an escape artist but really?  After the first 5 times, wouldn't you install child locks on the garage door, the front door and the door to the backyard?  Or at least lock your gate?  Yeah - I have my judgey pants on.
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

imageSweetieP:
    Yeah - I have my judgey pants on.

I would too.

• Options
    I think it happens.  When I was 5 my mom went to take a nap or something and said for me to watch my little brother.  I watched cartoons instead and he walked out of the house and fell asleep on some neighbor's porch.  (Don't know why my mom put me in charge of a baby at 5, but that's a different story.)
  • Options
    Frightening.  We have an escape artist who scales gates and knows how to break child locks off doors.  So we have inside key locks on all doors.  While the parents might be "innocent" I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have thought ahead and prevented this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hmm... It's so hard to speculate and judge without knowing the details. Maybe this kid is obsessed with opening the front door and tries it every night, so the parents put a lock (chain) out of kiddo's reach.

Maybe on that one night, the routine/schedule changed and for that ONE time, they forgot to lock the top lock. Everyone makes mistakes... Who knows? 

- Rene
  • Options

I can see it happening.  Andrew first learned how to open our front door with standard child lock on it at 13 months oldSurprise.  Thank god my brother was sitting right there and saw him do it.  We promptly went out and added additional locks way up high and my parents did the same at their houses.  Andrew also was/is one to get up and wander around.  I found him one morning at 4am in the kitchen, he had gotten the cheese out of the fridge, pulled up a stool to the counter and was sitting on the stool with a Tillamook block of cheese sitting on the counter and he was bent over eating it like a little rat.  I think he was about 2 when that happened.

I certainly wasn't prepared for him to figure out how to open locked doors so early on and felt totally confident with the safety measures we had so I can only be thankful that he didn't do it in the middle of the night or super early in the morning.

• Options

imageSweetieP:
    Sadly it happens all too often.  We have the child locks on our doors and our alarm beeps when anyone goes outside.  After a scare with my niece right after we moved in, we turned on those annoying beeps. (She was hiding in our bathroom and no one could find her and she wouldn't answer when being called).   We also had a neighbor who's two year old was ALWAYS out in the front yard by himself.  She claims he was an escape artist but really?  After the first 5 times, wouldn't you install child locks on the garage door, the front door and the door to the backyard?  Or at least lock your gate?  Yeah - I have my judgey pants on.

I would totally judge too.  It should only take one time for any parent to expand their safety measures and if that fails to then you keep going.  I know there are some kids who really are unstoppable but for those kids I love the idea of the noise chimes like you have.

• Options
    I was throwing up in the bathroom and my kids got out. Luckily my across the street neighbor was them and ran over since he knew it wasnt like me to let them out alone. Things happen and I always tend to assume they are good and normal parents and that things happen...
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I agree toddlers can suddenly learn new skills, get out, and things happen, but the street between that Walmart and the condos/apartments across the street is BIG...6 lanes plus turn lanes and a center grass medium - wide.  We're talking a 3 year old walking 2 plus blocks to get to the Walmart parking lot, in the dark, alone, and he evidently doesn't know to stay on the sidewalk?
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    CelynCelyn member
    Yep, there's always a first time for the door to open.  We didn't know Ryan (at age 2) could open our front door (which has an annoyingly shaped knob that no baby-proof cover fits) until he made his way outside "looking for us" at 6am.  All outside doors got a chain that day.
  • Options

imageMystery2B:
    I agree toddlers can suddenly learn new skills, get out, and things happen, but the street between that Walmart and the condos/apartments across the street is BIG...6 lanes plus turn lanes and a center grass medium - wide.  We're talking a 3 year old walking 2 plus blocks to get to the Walmart parking lot, in the dark, alone, and he evidently doesn't know to stay on the sidewalk?
      Exactly - that's a HUGE intersection....a huge parking lot....huge everything.  Not good.   And when I said I childproofed the doors, they just have the locks up high that they can't get to.  Even now they're useful so that Ryan doesn't open the front door every time the doorbell rings.  I have found my son in the backyard - but my gate is locked.  And now that he can reach the lock, he knows that life will be over as he knows it if he EVER goes into the front yard without asking me first.

Kids are smart - and they figure things out.  So the very first time your kid ends up in the first yard, it should be a learning moment as a parent.  Then you do the responsible thing, and you child-proof your doors so that it doesn't happen again.  You never know if your child will wander outside, eat a poisonous plant, wander down the street, get abducted, etc.   And of course it can happen the first time too...I'm just a judge-y person and that's okay with me.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

So here's what I want to know:

If it was such a big street and parking lot and 2 blocks. How MANY people saw this TODDLER and didn't do anything before someone finally did?!?! :( 

- Rene
  • Options
    imageNCSW:

If it was such a big street and parking lot and 2 blocks. How MANY people saw this TODDLER and didn't do anything before someone finally did?!?! :( 

I KNOW - I was thinking the same thing!!!!
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageNCSW:

probably b/c it was the middle of the night and few people if any saw him. i think the walmart in pleasanton is NOT a 24 hr one.

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    imageNCSW:

This.

When I taught in Indiana I had an autistic class (kids are notorious for being escape artists and runners) anyway I had a student that was non-verbal and used to get out of his mom's house all the time despite many efforts made by her. The only thing that made him stay or return once he did get out was this loud sound that only mom could turn off (he was sensitive to sound)... anyway I was out of town and one day he got off school grounds and around the corner across a very busy street. There was a Dairy Queen that he went to on the way around the corner and they didn't try to stop him at all. He went to a gas station where they gave him food to keep him there until they found him. I was very curious about the ppl at the Dairy Queen, how do you let a kid go unattended knowing there is a school less than 100 yards away!!! HELLO!!

• Options

My husband and I are were watching TV one night when I hear yelling (over the Soprano's too) because we had our door open/screen shut. I ran outside and found a toddler in the middle of the road crying and yelling for his Mom, in the dark, right around the bend of my street that tons of people sped on-I got him out of the road, had my husband call 911 and got him a sweater and sat him on my car while trying to get info from him.

The cops were able to find the home, and apparently his Mom had left for Walmart and his grandfather was watching him and the other kids in the home-He just wandered out the front door with nobody noticing to run after his Mom's car. I'm so glad I had my door open and heard him!

Kids are sneaky, and I would hope that if had done it before that they would have installed chain locks, but this may have been the first time because he was upset his Mom had left.

• Options
    I was on my way to work last July at 7:30 in the morning and found a 3 year old boy about to cross an 8 lane expressway (if you are familiar with San Jose, it was Capital express way and 101) by himself. I immediately pulled over and got him to come with me so that I could call the police and figure out where he lived. Just as I had my phone out a police car pulled up. Apparently a construction worker woking in the shopping center called the police but didn't bother stopping the child. I stayed with him for an hour before anyone noticed he was gone while police were making announcements to the nearby neighborhoods. Mom seemed worried but never once hugged the child when he was returned to her. I ended up leaving but there was an article written in the newspaper and said there was no foul play or neglegence found, but I'm not sure about that. I know that toddlers wander off and parents are not always at fault but this Mom didn't seem as concerned as I would have been.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"