Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Riding Toys...DS not getting it

How old was your LO when they figured out how to make a riding toy move?  My DS just isn't getting it.  He tries to use his upper body rather than his legs.   Anyone have any tricks for helping LO figure it out?

Thanks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Riding Toys...DS not getting it

• We don't have too many of them but I would say maybe 16 months or so. But again, they weren't exposed to too many. They still definitely do not at all get the concept of moving their cozy coupes themselves (at 19 months) when we take the floorboard out. 
  • He is still really young! Give him some time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • He needs a lot more time... My son is almost 17 months and he just now "gets it" but still prefers being pushed, rather than riding himself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My LO is 17 1/2 months and he is just getting it in the past few weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She got hers for her first birthday and knew right away how to do it, even though she had never been on a riding toy before.  No idea why!  She can move a cozy coupe forward but still prefers to move it around the house backward.  She actually was more into it when she was 12-14 months, mostly before she started walking without holding onto something.  Now that she can run she prefers to run around the house and doesn't use it as often.
  • Don't worry - DS just started getting into his a couple months ago.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think every kid is different and will pick it up in their own time but my LO was riding his Super Mopi (this is the best toy we EVER bought) by himself shortly after his first birthday and now he is a pro. It is light enough that he can pick it up and move it so I think that helps, it did take him a little while to get used to it since it requires some balancing on the wheels. He now has a two wheel balance bike but he is not so sure about getting on it yet.
  • Thanks for the reassurance.  I'll give him more time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just this week and he actually can only go backwards. Don't worry too much about it, he will get it eventually!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Liam has had riding toys since before he was one and he is just now understanding how to make them go forward. For the longest time he just went backwards. He would rather push them than ride. Just give it some time, he will figure it out.
  • Ophelia JUST figured it out.  She's been full time walking for almost 5 months and just Tuesday or Wednesday we went over to a friends for a play date and they have a Flintstones style car (the kind you do with your feet) and Ophelia played with it tons.  Today we went back over there and voila, she could make the bug rider go, the car go, and yesterday at a play date she rode a little scooter thing perfectly.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• DS finally figured out how to move it and steer at about 15 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"