2nd Trimester

dental repairs while pregnant?

ok long story short- i had 2 baby teeth that never came out and there are no adult teeth underneath. random- i know.

So a couple years ago when I had my wisdom teeth out I had one of the baby teeth pulled and an implant put it. I decided to wait on the second one because the dentist said it had a little more time before it would come out. It also has a filling it is, which is going bad because its so old.

ANYWAY so today I was eating chips and a HUGE chunk of my tooth chipped off. It doesnt hurt or anything, but now im freaking out that im going to have to deal with this. Has anyone had any dental work done while pregnant? I cant get to the dentist until next week to have it checked out, and she said most likely they will use lidicain * to numb the area.

HELP!

Re: dental repairs while pregnant?

• Yep with my first pregnancy I have a cavity filled and with my second I had my first root canal.  The dentist made me get a note from my ob first though.  My ob had no problem with it but did give a note about what they could and couldn't use to numb me.  good luck!
    Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • Yeah unfortunately life doesn't stop simply because you're preggers. You should be fine. Best of luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Funny, I have the same thing - two baby teeth because the adult ones never came in and pushed them out. I chipped one last summer and ended up getting an implant in that one, finishing just before getting pregnant. But I was trying at that point and had discussed undergoing the procedure while pregnant. It's not optimal, but it's possible. They may take the tooth out and not put the implant in until after you deliver since it's pretty major oral surgery. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • In the past two weeks I've had 2 root canals and still have to go back to have them put the crowns on. Its possible just not the greatest situation. They told me the best trimester to get any done was the second because thats when you are the most comfortable.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMellissa R:
    In the past two weeks I've had 2 root canals and still have to go back to have them put the crowns on. Its possible just not the greatest situation. They told me the best trimester to get any done was the second because thats when you are the most comfortable.

Me too.  Just had the 2nd crown put on today.  I've had so many dental issues with this pregnancy.

• I used to work as a dentist before DD came along.  If you start to experience pain before your appointment, please call your dentist.  They may be willing to come in early or stay late to accomodate your schedule.  Dental work is safe during pregnancy.  You will most likely need an x-ray of the area.  They can double shield you (2 lead aprons).  If your dentist uses digital x-rays, the radiation is a lot lower than traditional film x-rays.

Most dentists use 2% lido with 1/100,000 epinephrine (36 mg lido, .018 mg epi per carpule of anesthetic) for most procedures.  If blood pressure is an issue at all, they can use a different anesthetic without epinephrine (plain mepivicaine).  You may need to have the tooth extracted now so that it does not become infected during your pregnancy.  If it is a small chip and nerve is not exposed, the dentist may just choose to smooth it for you. 

Extractions during pregnancy are safe.  I would prefer to extract teeth on pregnant patients during 2nd trimester.  Unfortunately, emergencies can happen at any time during a pregnancy.  I remember having to extract a badly infected tooth on a patient that was near term.  She had been referred to a dermatologist for what her OB thought was a skin abscess.  It was coming from one of her teeth.  She did fine during the extraction.  I kept her sitting up during the procedure and she never felt a thing.  Your case should be much easier since you are not infected or symptomatic. 

Remember that dental work should never hurt if you are properly anesthetized and not infected.  If you are uncomfortable at all during the procedure, let your dentist know.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Another dentist chiming in here.  I absolutely agree with rainlily.  Very good advice.  2nd trimester is best for treatment.  Anything elective or cosmetic should wait.   And if you are feeling anything that does not feel right during a procedure, let the dentist know! 

Everyone is going to floss and brush before you go to bed, right?

• imagecyboeing:

Another dentist chiming in here.  I absolutely agree with rainlily.  Very good advice.  2nd trimester is best for treatment.  Anything elective or cosmetic should wait.   And if you are feeling anything that does not feel right during a procedure, let the dentist know! 

Everyone is going to floss and brush before you go to bed, right?

i did a little online research and figure out that it was the enamel broke off and the dentin is exposed. I have a pretty bad headache now, which im assuming is from the issue. Is this something that could be fixed with cement filler? thanks for the dental help!! :)

• I was told that my dentist would not do work during the first trimester unless absolutely necessary.  I have been in more than once during my second trimester... crown, filling, root canal, and I am going back in two weeks for another crown prep. I told my dentist that I am pregnant and they changed the novocain that they use and I too had the double shield when they needed to do x-rays.  I would definitely have the work done instead of having the chance of infection and/or pain.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"