August 2011 Moms

Radiation in milk?

Have any of you heard of this? From the Japan nuclear fallout situation... I heard today that small amounts of radiation are showing up in milk along the east coast. I don't know any more information than that, so I'm not sure it's true. I don't mean to get anyone worried either.... I just love milk, but now I'm like... hm?? Should I be worried?
Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Radiation in milk?

• I live in Western Washington and it was on the news this morning that radiation turned up in milk in Spokane. It didn't know it turned up on the east coast too. It's supposed to be far below the harmful limit though...not to say I wasn't worried by it...but I think we're okay :) 

Ugg...we don't need more things to worry our preggo minds over!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • On the east coast? Across the country from Japan? I wouldn't think the 2 are connected.

If you are worried, drink local milk for a while.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok I did a little more research.... and I guess it was found in Spokane, Washington, but the level is 5000x BELOW the unsafe amount..... so they're saying it's fine to keep drinking milk... thank goodness lol

• imageQuincysBerry:

I live in Western Washington and it was on the news this morning that radiation turned up in milk in Spokane. It didn't know it turned up on the east coast too. It's supposed to be far below the harmful limit though...not to say I wasn't worried by it...but I think we're okay :) 

Thank goodness! I love milk:) I haven't read anything about the east coast.... so I'm wondering if that was just a "telephone" rumor thing.

• imageSarahPLiz:

On the east coast? Across the country from Japan? I wouldn't think the 2 are connected.

If you are worried, drink local milk for a while.  

The two actually are connected but as the OP said, the amounts are so minute, they said it's fine.  On the news, they showed a graphic and said that you would actually get more radiation eating a banana (prior to the nuclear issues) than you would drinking the milk and breathing the air post nuclear accident.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMichellie7:
    imageQuincysBerry:

I live in Western Washington and it was on the news this morning that radiation turned up in milk in Spokane. It didn't know it turned up on the east coast too. It's supposed to be far below the harmful limit though...not to say I wasn't worried by it...but I think we're okay :) 

Thank goodness! I love milk:) I haven't read anything about the east coast.... so I'm wondering if that was just a "telephone" rumor thing.

I know, I love milk too! I go through a gallon by myself in about 3 days lol Embarrassed

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was thinking that too... I imagine we get lots of "radiation" everyday with different foods and just walking outside (or even inside)
  • The EPA said the radiation levels were still far below what is considered safe even for children and infants, so I think we're okay to keep drinking milk. They did mention that they planned to monitor milk more closely now though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"