Cloth Diapering

Rule breaking

I researched the h*ll out of CD'ing before we started. I've always followed the rules based on the best practice posted by manufacturers. I never, ever wash my microfiber/synthetics with my cottons/natural fibers. I pre-wash/rinse, and extra rinse at the end of my wash cycle. I use CD safe detergent. I never use regular rash cream. My covers have never seen the inside of a dryer.

I'm getting tired of this strict regime. Today, I'm washing my synthetics with my nautral fibers because I read that the world will not stop turning if I do this.

So, do you break the "rules"?

[Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Rule breaking

• I will confess I've washed my fleece liners (with diaper cream on them) with other diapers. All the time. And occasionally a CD makes it into the dryer, and I don't freak out.
  • I always wash all of it together, I sometimes dry the pockets, we use to use a CD safe detergent, now we use tide.  I didn't properly prep my hemp inserts (because I didn't know better) and we used rash cream (desitin) once.  I've never stripped or had absorbency issues, but we did have an ammonia problem once (hence the tide use now). 
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I always wash all my diapers together, regardless of material.

I DO use a CD safe detergent and rash cream, and always will.

A couple of my diapers take a long time to dry, so if they aren't dry by the time all the others on the rack are; I will toss them in the dryer for a bit so I can stuff and put them all away at the same time.

As for wash routine, I do the pre-rinse and 2 rinses at the end..but not because they are 'rules' but because that's how they get clean.. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers
  • All my diapers get washed together. I don't have enough of either one kind to do a whole load and I'm not going to waste the resources to do half-loads of diapers every week.

And I dry my BG Elementals, because I don't have a big enough stash to wait for them to dry on their own in my humid climate. 

• GBCKGBCK member

I wash everything together.

w/ whatever 'free and clear' soap we have.

and sometimes we dry, sometime we line dry.

And...nothing has gone wrong yet.

• Once natural fibers are prepped, I wash everything together.  I mostly line dry then do a fluff on low, but I see no harm in putting PUL in the dryer on low sometimes (esp. with my AIOs).

I am careful about rash cream and detergent, but largely bc DS has sensitive skin.  Even on our regular clothes, we usually use "5 star" CD detergent or sometimes All F&C, but baby gets gentle stuff.

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

• I wash everything together. I use Tide powder. I usually dry everything (including PUL - gasp) in the dryer on medium heat.  I would dry outside more (I occassionally do now) but I do diaper laundry at night as I work during the day. This summer (since I am a teacher) I will line dry more, but only becuase I can not because I should.  I do pre rinse and double rinse after but because (as pp said) that is how the diapers get clean, not becasue I have to. hth. :)
  • I wash synthetic with natural with baby clothes.  I use not the greatest detergent (A&H Sensitive).  I throw pockets in the dryer all the time (usually on low while I do one last rinse with Ecover).

The only rules I think I haven't broken are using dryer sheets and prepping naturals and synthetics together (which honestly is how I interpreted that - you need to prep natural fabrics separately, but once prepped you're fine to wash them together).

No problems so far.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Apparently I missed the part where you are supposed to separate natural and synthetics. I had no clue until about a month ago. I prepped naturals and synthetics together. I haven't had any repelling yet.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"