Babies: 9 - 12 Months

If You Listen to NPR in the Afternoon (vent)

Do you think Terry Gross is utterly sophomoric? I love the guests and the variety but she makes me want to crawl out of my skin. If my students said "ummm" and "like" as much as she does, I'd fail them on their oral comm projects. (interrupting) "So um um um this book is, like, your autobiography, I guess. Right?" RUFKM?! This is a professional? The bottom line for me was when Jay-Z sounded more polished than she did. Anyone with me, here?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***

Re: If You Listen to NPR in the Afternoon (vent)

• Agreed.  Although, you should hear the local morning guy here - sometimes I question his literacy!
  • I dunno. She has a good voice for radio and I often like the questions she asks. She does say "umm" often, but it doesn't bother me much.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I love Terry Gross. I know she uses a bunch of fillers, but she sounds so conversational. I get really enGrossed (har har) in her interviews. 
  • I don't mind Terry Gross, but there is one lady here whose voice is so shaky sounding it drives me insane! I always think that she must have been someone great in broadcasting once for them to still allow her on radio. Don't get me wrong, I love older people (I used to be a rec aid in assisted living) but seriously I cannot listen to this woman. I am going to see if I can find her name. 
  • Well I figured I'd bs in the minority since she's been broadcasting for decades. Ugh. She just irritates me. I think it's because she makes me jealous that she can say ummmm on National Public Radio and I couldn't say it in Mrs. Sowers' 6th grade English class. LOL
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • imagececeandme222:
    I don't mind Terry Gross, but there is one lady here whose voice is so shaky sounding it drives me insane! I always think that she must have been someone great in broadcasting once for them to still allow her on radio. Don't get me wrong, I love older people (I used to be a rec aid in assisted living) but seriously I cannot listen to this woman. I am going to see if I can find her name. 

You must be talking about Diane Rehm.  She is older (like 72, I think) but I also believe she has some sort of neurological voice disorder. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I love Terry Gross. I think she asks awesome interview questions. I don't even hear the fillers anymore.  

I don't know if Diane Rehm (sp?) is still on, but her voice bugged me a lot.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • imagejamiedsgirl:

imagececeandme222:
    I don't mind Terry Gross, but there is one lady here whose voice is so shaky sounding it drives me insane! I always think that she must have been someone great in broadcasting once for them to still allow her on radio. Don't get me wrong, I love older people (I used to be a rec aid in assisted living) but seriously I cannot listen to this woman. I am going to see if I can find her name. 

You must be talking about Diane Rehm.  She is older (like 72, I think) but I also believe she has some sort of neurological voice disorder. 

YES that is her. She really kills me, I feel bad that she has a disorder and all but I cannot listen to her.

I will agree that at times Terry Gross does sound unenthusiastic about what she is talking about, so maybe she is really distracted by something and compensates with the umms? 

• I cannot believe this many bumpies listen to NPR.   I don't listen to her b/c I'm not in my car until 4pm CST, so I get Melissa Block, Robert Segal and Meeeeeechelle Norris. 

• I really can't listen to her for that long. I also hate the way she says "ffrresh air"

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imagejlthompson19:

I cannot believe this many bumpies listen to NPR.   I don't listen to her b/c I'm not in my car until 4pm CST, so I get Melissa Block, Robert Segal and Meeeeeechelle Norris. 

LOL @ Meeeeeeechelle.  I was so confused when I started listening to her.  I searched on the internet for some sort of explanation for her name, but couldn't find anything. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I love Terry Gross!

And what do you mean by JayZ sounds more polished? He's an incredibly smart man and a very savvy businessman.  Why wouldn't he sound polished? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I never get to listen to Fresh Air, but I love the Diane Rehm show!

I am also officially in love with the name Lakshmi Singh. Every time I hear her, I wonder if DH would be down with naming a baby girl Lakshmi. And I want boy #2 to be Ira, like Ira Glass, hehehe.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• DH hates her for that reason.  He complains every time I have her on the show.  I don't mind Diane Reems, but I know a lot of people that do.  I think she is very intelligent, and asks great questions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejlthompson19:

I cannot believe this many bumpies listen to NPR.   I don't listen to her b/c I'm not in my car until 4pm CST, so I get Melissa Block, Robert Segal and Meeeeeechelle Norris. 

LOL
  • imagebroomy:

I never get to listen to Fresh Air, but I love the Diane Rehm show!

I am also officially in love with the name Lakshmi Singh. Every time I hear her, I wonder if DH would be down with naming a baby girl Lakshmi. And I want boy #2 to be Ira, like Ira Glass, hehehe.

Yes! And I love Doualy Xaykaothao (Doo-wa-ha-lee Sigh-cow-tau)  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"