Baby Showers
Options

Is this as dumb as I think it is?

I could go on and on about how "interesting" my shower might be because of how the friend who is hosting (and refused all offers of help) is making it.  But....... I would like to ask if I am the only one who thinks this idea is really dumb.

She called tonight and asked how I felt about playing games.  I told her that while I've never been to a shower without them, I personally don't go to showers for the games.  She said she was going to do some pretty basic word scrambles, etc. and the prizes would be a pear and a can of peas.  Yep, you read that right, a fruit and a can of veggies are her idea of a good prize.  Her rational is that I'm having twins.  I tried to nicely tell her - absolutely not, this was not even funny, and I doubt any of the guests would think so either.  I am going to be so embarressed if she tries to go through with this.  I feel like I need to go out and buy decent prizes just in case.  WWYD?

Re: Is this as dumb as I think it is?

• Options
    I know zilch about baby showers, but I can tell you that's weird.
  • Options
    That's....really odd. And that's putting it nicely.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It would be cute to make her own gift bags and get little pea in a pod stickers or something... but NOT a can of peas. No pears either. Does she have kids or ever been to a shower? Maybe you just need to be straight up and tell her you dont like that idea. A pair of movie tickets would be nice. She could go with the pair theme in that way.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I see where she is coming from but it is a bit weird.  Maybe if she wanted to use those as "gag" prizes but then have a "pair" of something else (pair of lottery tickets, pair of bloomers - corsage with 2 flowers, pair of anything "nice") for the REAL prize.  If she insists on doing this I'd just make sure the favors are very nice.  lol
  • Options

That is very odd, I would be very surprised to say the least to receive that and I'm not even sure I would put it together with the twins thing.

I would suggest things that may work better. Almond joys come with two in the pack, so maybe that would work.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Unless you had drawn the connection I would not have gotten the 'twin' thing. I think her idea is incredibly odd.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ok that's odd and it's even more odd that she got the veggies wrong.  I believe the saying is "they go together like peas and carrots or peanut butter and jelly", not peas and pears, just an FYI.  I have seen cute onesies for twins playing off the peas and carrots thing, but to give a prize at a shower that is basically fruits and veggies is kind of dumb.
    TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • Options
    I see what she's saying, but IMO that's weird and tacky.
  • Options

imageYellow_Daisy:
    Ok that's odd and it's even more odd that she got the veggies wrong.  I believe the saying is "they go together like peas and carrots or peanut butter and jelly", not peas and pears, just an FYI.  I have seen cute onesies for twins playing off the peas and carrots thing, but to give a prize at a shower that is basically fruits and veggies is kind of dumb.

While I agree the veggie concept is stupid I don't think this is what she was going for. I think she went for Peas because of Two peas in a pod and i think she went for Pear as a play off of pair (as in two).  

• Options
    imageSkibunny07:

imageYellow_Daisy:

While I agree the veggie concept is stupid I don't think this is what she was going for. I think she went for Peas because of Two peas in a pod and i think she went for Pear as a play off of pair (as in two).  

LOL!  Then I never would have gotten it as a guest ;-).

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • Options
    Because you explained it, I can see what she is trying to do.  But the peas and pear are confusing and I don't think people will understand.  As a PP said, there has got to be a cuter prize idea that still plays up the twin aspect. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"