Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Unpopular Opinion Thursday

Post yours now!

Here's mine:  I feel sorry for 2 year olds whose parents expect them to act like adults, and then get mad when they don't.  DH and I ran into a friend at the mall on Saturday - their LO is 2 and a half.  He was at the mall with his dad, and was trying to have a good time with DS (running around, chasing, laughing, playing pretend, etc.)  Every time this poor kid touched anything or started running, his dad would scream things like "I told you not to do that!  Now stop!" - he was SO mad!  I'm thinking (hoping) that our friend was just having a bad day, but even on my worst of days, I try to pull it together if friends are around, right?  DH and I were very taken aback and honestly, a little concerned.  Granted, we are pretty laid back with DS, but I just can't stop thinking about it - it made me feel SO bad for their little boy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thursday

• Options

I can't for the life of me understand wanting to pull funding for public radio.  How many people who support this actuall listen to NPR?  Liberally biased?  Get real.  Not in comparison to any other news I've heard, anywhere, except maybe the local news with its stories about cats and highway repair.  (PS - is this an unpopular opinion?  I hope not!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    (I hope this isn't an UO, but...) I can't believe all the states that want to cut funding and pay for teachers/schools and nurses/hospitals. The people who educate your children and take care of your sick behind should be the best paid and most appreciated...not the most dumped on!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagefignewt74:

Post yours now!

Here's mine:  I feel sorry for 2 year olds whose parents expect them to act like adults, and then get mad when they don't.  DH and I ran into a friend at the mall on Saturday - their LO is 2 and a half.  He was at the mall with his dad, and was trying to have a good time with DS (running around, chasing, laughing, playing pretend, etc.)  Every time this poor kid touched anything or started running, his dad would scream things like "I told you not to do that!  Now stop!" - he was SO mad!  I'm thinking (hoping) that our friend was just having a bad day, but even on my worst of days, I try to pull it together if friends are around, right?  DH and I were very taken aback and honestly, a little concerned.  Granted, we are pretty laid back with DS, but I just can't stop thinking about it - it made me feel SO bad for their little boy.

I agree!  Since reading Happiest Toddler on the Block, I have reminded myself that toddlers have the social skills of a caveman and that while it is our job to teach them these skills you can't expect them not to want to explore their environment.  I get so annoyed with a friend on fb who constantly complains about behaviors her toddler exhibits which are actually age appropriate.

BTW I am not saying that I don't get frustrated and occasionally lose my patience but reminding myself dd is similar to a cavewoman has helped!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options

I'm the opposite.  I can't stand when someone's kid is hitting, screaming, grabbing, running into people and the parent or whoever shrugs and says "Well he's two."

I don't condone yelling at a kid, especially in public, I think that dad's temper tantrum/behavior was as bad as any 2 yr old behavior, but by 2 I absolutely expect my little ones to be respectful of things and people when we''re out of the house.  At home we're one big party and they are free to  touch/play with anything I leave in their reach as long as they are kind to eachother, but I  think my personal freedom to reproduce is not a freedom to infringe on other people's comfort and personal space. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLoveEeyore:

I'm the opposite.  I can't stand when someone's kid is hitting, screaming, grabbing, running into people and the parent or whoever shrugs and says "Well he's two."

I don't condone yelling at a kid, especially in public, I think that dad's temper tantrum/behavior was as bad as any 2 yr old behavior, but by 2 I absolutely expect my little ones to be respectful of things and people when we''re out of the house.  At home we're one big party and they are free to  touch/play with anything I leave in their reach as long as they are kind to eachother, but I  think my personal freedom to reproduce is not a freedom to infringe on other people's comfort and personal space. 

Oh I agree too, I mean that I don't expect that dd is going to sit quietly in her stroller for an hour while I shop or not be expected to protest some limits.  I know people who get all bent out of shape when lo's try to exhibit their independence or other age appropriate behaviors.  Behaviors can and should be addressed but toddlers should not expect to act like little adults, though we should model the behavior we would like to see them develop.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"