October 2011 Moms

Blood Cord Registry/Banking

Anyone planning on doing this? Feelings/opinions about it...

Re: Blood Cord Registry/Banking

• We'll be donating it.  I heard that the chances of a family member actually being able to use it are quite slim (despite what the private banking companies say... and they are a business, after all), so I'd rather donate it knowing that there's a good chance it will actually be used, either for an individual or for research purposes.  And it's free!

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Several years ago, upon finding out I was adopted, my gynocologist at the time recommended that I look into it. I guess now is the time to do so! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We are undecided. Most likely it will get donated. But I also heard at a friend's baby shower about the pros/cons of not cutting the cord until it is done pulsing....so now that is another thing I need to look up.

Researching stuff for babies is ENDLESS!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Funny, just thought I'd look into the topic a few hours ago and here's your post.

This article has some clear points:

https://www.health.com/health/library/mdp/0,,zx1634,00.html

I know its way to early to really think about this but I'm feeling like I'd like to donate.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • would love to be able to donate but can't. so we won't be doing either. I think donating sounds really cool though I'm more of sharing/donate it so someone defiantly benefits that save it in case something happens where it might be useful ( if there was a high rate of cancer or something like that in the family I might consider saving it)
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Our son died at 16weeks 6days on September 22, 2010 The greatest thing you?ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return" ~ Moulin Rouge My Blog
  • The hospital I will be delivering at does not participate in the cord blood bank... so I will be donating mine directly to a researcher I work with.  We tried last time, but I didn't have the collection kit by the time I went into labor. They assumed the hospital carried the kits and they don't... so make sure that if you are planning on donating that you get a collection kit.
    Photobucket "...let's rewrite an ending that fits" Mom to DS 6/1999 and DD 1/2008 TTC #3 8/2010 M/C 10/2010 BFP 2/2/11 EDD 10/17/11 On our way to Baby #3 Stick Baby Stick!
  • Donating it.  The chances of someone in your family actually needing it are extremely slim and it's not a guaranteed match anyway. 
  • Donating is what I'm considering too. When I got my "bag of goodies" from my OB the majority of the info was on this and I was thinking it was awfully expensive for something you may never need, but someone else could use...
  • I wanted to donate, but because of my time spent in the UK prior to 1981, I can't.  Thanks to MAD COW.  I wish more people would donate, it just seems like such magical stuff can happen with it.

Moo.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We're donating it. I've actually worked on cases where it was needed, and the situations where it has come up have been absolutely unexpected, no family history and ridiculously rare forms of cancer. I would want to help families in those situations.
  • I would hate to think back to this moment in 10 yrs and know that $1000 could have saved my childs life.

but then again, $1000 will buy a lot of formula

• I haven't read much about it, just knew we wouldn't be able to afford.  Did not know that donating was an option, so I'm DEFINITELY going to check into that.  I love helping when possible and this seems like a great opportunity.  I often can't donate blood due to having typically low iron, so this would make me feel really great, knowing that someone, somewhere might have their life saved because I had these babies!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"