Georgia Babies

5 am again

I seriously am going to lose it.  Why must my children get up so darn early.  And they don't want to go to bed either.  And they want to sleep in our bed and kick our faces during the night.

I even woke Colton up from his nap yesterday after an hour and took them both to Hippo Hopp thinking I would get a good night rest out of them.  Nope.

I'm about to fall over I'm so tired. 19th cup of coffee please.....

Anyone else have this issue?  What should I try?

Re: 5 am again

• have been up at 4:45am for the last three mornings, so i feel your pain. no suggestions, just sympathy!
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • This might not work for Ridge but when Colin was younger and tried getting up at that hr I put toys and milk in his crib and turned the monitor volume so low that all I could see was the lights going. The first few mornings I got up and filled a sippy, made sure he was dry and then left the room He screamed a little the first time but eventually learned to play and would even fall back to sleep. My message was that 5am was an unacceptable time to start the day. I would make him wait until 6:30 or 7. 90% of the time he'd go back to sleep after playing. Maybe I am mean but I refused to let him get up that early. I think it forced him to really self soothe and now if he wakes up and there's nothing wrong he will play and go back to sleep. Sorry they are getting up so early. I hope you can find a solution. 
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel ya.  I probably would not have stayed up until 2 a.m. packing and doing laundry had I known Tess was going to wake up at 5:30.

• Kate did this, still does every once in a while. i know Ridge would get this at least, but we put a digital alarm clock in her room, and I made tent card that said 6:30 on it and set it on top of the card. I told her she couldn't wake up and come into our room until the clock matched the card.

First few mornings, she woke up at her usual 4:45 - 5 a.m. and she'd yell for us, we told her she had to look at the card and the clock and when they matched, she could wake up.  I think staring at the clock and card made her fall back asleep every time :)

After a few days, i guess it "retrained" her internal alarm clock, and she started waking up around 6:30 on her own then!

Even now if she occasionally wakes up before then, we tell her to "look at the clock, it's not time to get up yet" (btw, the Summer video monitor with the "talk" feature is genius!), and she goes back to sleep.

Good luck mama!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What time are they going to bed?

I never had to use it, but what about the thing that has the moon adn sun on it and explain that they can't get up until they see the sun?

You must be feeling like a zombie.

• the sun/moon nightlight has totally worked for us!
  • Bedtime is bedtime.  You might have some work cut out for you but if you establish a time for going to bed and for waking eventually they will get it.  Make it a "rule".
  • Our problem is inconsistency right now.  Gavin is a world class sleeper- he will ask to go to bed/nap almost daily.  Bedtime is rarely a struggle... but some mornings he's up at 5 and others he will sleep till 8-9.  But the 5 am days always seem to land on the weekend!  And then there's Sophie.  Again, she really is a great sleeper- I know I shouldn't complain.  But I can't track a consistent pattern.  Night before last, she slept 9+ hours and I had to wake her to nurse and then she went back to sleep for another 3 hours!  But last night... we followed the exact same schedule and she was up twice during the night and wide awake at 4:30!  I'm home sick w/ strep today, so at least I got to sleep in and DH took them to daycare.  Too bad, those extra zzzzz's didn't make me feel any better.  My only advice is to kick them out of bed.  Easier said than done, I know... but I know I don't get any deep sleep when either kid is in the room- let alone the bed!  I'm still emotional about the fact that Sophie is in her room now and its been 3+ weeks since we moved her.  But I know without a doubt that we are all sleeping better b/c of it.  Good luck!

• You must get them out of your bed ASAP!! First you will never get any sleep with them in there and second they might stay forever. Ben is 4 and still sleeps with us. I have had 2 babies since Ben and they are not in our bed because of the lesson learned and he won't leave!!!LOL The boys have a tv in their room and as awful as it is when Kerwin wakes up at the ungodly hour of 5:30 or 6, he has his cereal bar and then watches tv until we get up. Ben even knows that although he sleeps in our bed when he wakes up he goes back in his room with Kerwin to watch tv and play quietly until we get up. Maybe not the best, but this works for us!!
  • I feel for you. DD woke up between 4:45 and 5:15 for about 13 months.  It super sucked, and nothing I tried worked.  It was like one really long nightmare phase. It's hard to be a good mom when you are sleep deprived. 

A friend of ours  has a son who wakes every day at 5:00.  They found that he really likes listening to Super Fudge audio books in the morning, so they set him up to listen to those until a more reasonable hour of the morning for them to wake up.

I hope this passes for you soon!

• I feel your pain.  Benjamin has been doing the same thing for the past few nights and it has sucked!  We just started using the sun/moon night light and so far, it hasn't worked for us but I know it takes time for it to kick in. Good luck!
  • imagehthomas02:
    the sun/moon nightlight has totally worked for us!

This works for us too. It is set for 7:15 but even if he wakes up early he sits in his bed (for some reason he doesn't even climb out) and talks to his animals or tells stories till the sun is up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh, I didn't know about the Sun/Moon nightlights.  I need to get one.  Thanks for the tip.  He's probably too young for the clock but that is a very good idea if we are still having this battle in a few months.

Ridge usually wakes up at 4 am and comes in our bed.  Colton is the one getting up at 5 am.  We try to bring him in our bed to get him back to sleep ....occasionally it works but mostly he wakes everyone up.

Last night Colton would not go to sleep.  We put him down at 8 pm and he was back  up at 9 pm.  Finally at 10 pm I just put him in my bed and tried to get him to sleep.  I put him in his bed around 1 am.

We try to get them both down between 8 and 8:30.  I love sleep. I wish Colton did too.  I'm a night owl and Rick use to be an early riser.  I think Colton got both of those traits which doesn't work out for me so well.

• imageMrsL1022:
    This might not work for Ridge but when Colin was younger and tried getting up at that hr I put toys and milk in his crib and turned the monitor volume so low that all I could see was the lights going. The first few mornings I got up and filled a sippy, made sure he was dry and then left the room He screamed a little the first time but eventually learned to play and would even fall back to sleep. My message was that 5am was an unacceptable time to start the day. I would make him wait until 6:30 or 7. 90% of the time he'd go back to sleep after playing. Maybe I am mean but I refused to let him get up that early. I think it forced him to really self soothe and now if he wakes up and there's nothing wrong he will play and go back to sleep. Sorry they are getting up so early. I hope you can find a solution. 

DITTO THIS!!!

Natalie wakes up @ 5:30am most mornings.  She has learned to play with her stuff animals until we get her @ 7 - 7:30am.  Most of the time she falls back asleep.  We can see her playing on the video monitor. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"