Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Transitioning to Cow's Milk

Did you start right at the 12 mos mark? Did you stick with the bottle at first or move to a sippy?

And how often a day? 

Re: Transitioning to Cow's Milk

• i just came on to ask basically the same question!  i'm interested to hear at what age people introduced cow's milk during the weaning process.  our pedi told us we could give LO cow's milk 2 weeks before her bday (we're going out of town) but if i want to wean her completely before then i'm going to need to give her some next week or the week after (going to run out of freezer stash and LO won't take formula).  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Fellow Iowan Stick out tongue

We have been giving DD 2 oz. milk in her morning/nighttime bottles. She will only drink it if it's warmed up. I plan to slowly up the milk ounces until it replaces the formula, then will gradually take away the bottle.

I don't really anticipate this happening right at her one year mark but gradually over a few months. I hope to have the bottle gone by summer.  

• Loading the player...
  • oh and we're trying to wean right to a sippy since i've read/heard (?) pedi's recommend giving up the bottle around 12-15 months anyway.  but i feel like the feeding right before bed is going to be particularly difficult and we might need to use a bottle for that.  if we can get her to take it!
  • We were done with bottle by 12mo!! With my first I dropped her afternoon bottle and gave her a sippy cup of milk. Then the second day, I started giving her milk at meals, then the third we just went cold turkey and dropped all bottles and straight to milk at meals. She didn't really like it but after a couple of fussy days she was fine and never looked back. I plan to do the same with my second one in the next few weeks. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO just turned 1 this past Monday, and I started the transition about 3 weeks ago. 

I did gradually. I started by adding 2 oz at a time of WM and decreasing formula, until it was a full bottle of WM only.  He did really well with the transition.

GL

• We started introducing cow's milk with DD1 at meals in a sippy instead of water at a year old and she slowly weaned off of bfing. She weaned herself at 14 months and before that it was only in the morning and at bedtime.
    Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • we where told at our 9 month appoint me that once she turned 11 months to start mixing milk in with her formula, and decreasing the amount of formula and giving more milk and by the time shes a year old she will be on milk only.
  • At my DD's 9 month appt, the dr told me to start transitioning her now.  He believes a slow gradual transition is better for them.  This way their stomachs can get used to the whole milk.  So now that she is 10 months I have been trying to give her a little a day so I can replace one bottle with the milk.  So far she doesn't like it. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagenwagner1:
    At my DD's 9 month appt, the dr told me to start transitioning her now.  He believes a slow gradual transition is better for them.  This way their stomachs can get used to the whole milk.  So now that she is 10 months I have been trying to give her a little a day so I can replace one bottle with the milk.  So far she doesn't like it. 

This. We started at 10 months as well, simply because he got pneumonia & RSV right after his 9 month check-up and I wanted him to be in a healthy state before the transition, so his body didn't have to deal with the change. Pedi said he wanted a slow transition of 1-2 ounces more a week. He was on Similac Sensitive formula, and the pedi said it should be okay to do whole milk. So we did, but once we started trying any more then 2 ounces of whole milk to 6 ounces formula, his belly would bloat up and he would scream constantly during the night because of gas. We figured that he has lactose sensitivity, like his daddy, and switched to lactaid. He now just gets the lactaid whole milk, but also gets one bottle of almond or rice milk because the whole milk constipates him. Pedi said it's okay to be doing all whole milk since he is a good eater and eats a variety of foods.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"