Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Anyone not doing cake at party?

Where did the tradition of sitting a whole b-day cake in front of a 1yr old begin? You try your best to give your child the healthiest food you can, but then you want them to shove themselves full of cake for a photo op? I just find it interesting...

Anyone out there not giving cake to baby on b-day?

I think I will put it in front of him & let him have a taste, but I see some parents let their kids devour them- that is going to give baby a tummy ache for sure! I also thought of a cupcake instead of a cake.

Re: Anyone not doing cake at party?

• I did a sugar free cupcake, sweatened with applesauce and apple juice concentrate.  The "icing" was plain cream chease with apple juice concentrate.  I actually thought it was good.  More like a muffin, but plenty sweet for him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have always done cupcakes, I don't think many 1 year olds eat an entire cake, its probably just there for the photo op.  DD didn't even eat her cupcake at her party, she just kind of poked at it.  Knowing DS, he will eat it, but one cupcake won't hurt him.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagewtiger9:
    I did a sugar free cupcake, sweatened with applesauce and apple juice concentrate.  The "icing" was plain cream chease with apple juice concentrate.  I actually thought it was good.  More like a muffin, but plenty sweet for him.

This is what we are planning to do also. 

• I'll be giving DS a slice of regular, full sugar cake. I think it's silly to do a healthy cake at a bday party. Everything in moderation and it's his bday, so let there be cake! I'm pretty sure when a whole cake is given, it's more for the smashing photo op. I highly doubt any baby actually eats too much of it.
    My big boy image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageCassie730:

Oh FFS lady...strap that kid to the bumbo and give that baby some cake ;-)

We're doing a cupcake cake but it's about the size of 6 cupcakes. My Mom spent like $20 on the special pan so we have to use it somehow ;-)

Also- You could find a lower sugar recipe made with bananas and what not if the sugar tummy ache is what you're worried about. Just a thought.

This is however coming from the Mommy who gave her baby a cupcake on Valentines Day. I don't think there's anything wrong with a treat on a holiday. He knows that's not every day food.

Yes ma'am

• There are healthy options out there...

Applesauce Spice Cake 

3 eggs
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 1/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
    2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg
    1/2 cup chopped dates
    1 1/2 cups ground almonds (optional)
    2 Macintosh apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 inch square baking pan.

Beat the eggs until they drop like ribbons from the beaters. Continue beating and add the oil in a thin stream. Beat in the 1 cup applesauce and the 1 cup unsweetened apple juice concentrate then mix in the flour gradually until well blended. Add the baking soda, ground ginger, ground almonds and apples. Fold together until well mixed.
    Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F about 40 minutes or until the cake tests clean with a knife or toothpick. Cool completely before frosting.

Sugar-Free Cream Cheese Frosting

Frosts one 2-layer cake

? cup apple juice concentrate
    1 pound light cream cheese
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    ? cup finely chopped raisins
    1 ? tsp unflavored gelatin

1. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the juice concentrate.
    2. Process the remaining juice concentrate, the cream cheese, vanilla, and raisins in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
    3. Stir the gelatin into the 2 tablespoons juice concentrate in a small saucepan; let stand 1 minute to soften. Heat to boiling and stir to dissolve gelatin.
    4. Beat the gelatin mixture into the cream cheese mixture until well blended. Refrigerate just until the frosting begins to set, about 30-60 minutes. Frost the cake

https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipFirstBDay.htm

• Anyone know an healthy alternate to food coloring? I need red & blue
  • imagewtiger9:
    I did a sugar free cupcake, sweatened with applesauce and apple juice concentrate.  The "icing" was plain cream chease with apple juice concentrate.  I actually thought it was good.  More like a muffin, but plenty sweet for him.

I'd like to do something like this! 

• We're doing a some sort of jazzed up muffin, we'll probably get it from Big Apple Bagels - and simply use a tasty cream cheese as frosting.

As cute as the photos are of kids eating/playing with their smash cake - I really wouldn't want to be taking care of a kid with a stomach ache from eating a butt load of sugar they don't normally have. And as much as PP want to say that usually the kids don't eat a ton of the cake, I've been to a few parties where the 1 year old DID eat a ton of their smash cake, if not their entire XL cupcakes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It would not be a birthday without a b-day cake!!  We always do it, but they really hardly eat any of it.
  • imagemm&m2010:
    Anyone know an healthy alternate to food coloring? I need red & blue

Beets and blueberries. a little juice will go a long way with coloring. 

• We are doing a regular, full sugar, homemade banana cake with regular, full sugar, homemade cream cheese frosting.  The big Hungry Caterpillar cake will be for the adults and Liam will get a much smaller smash cake for photos (but it will still be large by his standards).  

I'm the parent and I will decide when he's had enough cake.  Just because I put a whole slab of cake in front of him doesn't mean that I have to let him to eat the whole thing.  I see nothing wrong with enjoying a treat on a special occasion.  

image image
  • As far back as I can remember in my family a "smash cake" has always been done for a baby on their first bday. Usually shaped like a little teddy bear or duck or some other small animal.  Really they aren't going to sit there and eat the whole thing it's more of a fun rite of passage to let them get good and messy and experiment with the texture of it.   As others said if the idea of that much sugar bothers you then give them a low sugar cake or cupcake but personally I think it's one day not every week so it's fine. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"