March 2011 Moms

Am I irrational

I know Google is full of websites with misinformation, biased information, and ignorance of facts but I was an idiot and googled anyway ... (something I try not to do) I called DH upset and told him that I'm not sure I want to be induced anymore, that I want to give my body atleast another week.  I'm just not sure if I'm worried because I have valid concerns or because I'm just nervous.  I know if I were to call my doctor and ask if we could wait another week, I'd have a pretty upset family/friends which itself stresses me out, as though my decision to have an induction is something I can't take away from them.  I can't let them down and change plans - stupid I know. 

I've been through test after test after test in my life and generally don't get overly concerned before any of them.  I don't even have a history of getting worried before surgeries.  I'm just not sure if I should trust my gut and ask for another week or assume that I'm freaking out because come Monday or Tuesday I'll have a baby somewhere in this house.  And to be honest, I'd be rather embarassed to call my doctor and ask if I can wait another week.  I feel stupid...

image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Am I irrational

• You have to do what is right for you, your body and your baby.  If you don't feel comfortable being induced and there is no medical reason stating that you need/have to, then postpone it.  My friend just gave birth to her baby at 42 weeks because she didn't want an induction and he came out perfectly healthy.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You are not irrational. No matter what you decide to do, trust your gut.

I chose to wait until 41 weeks because I wanted to give my body every opportunity to do this on it's own. But that could all be for nothing and I could end up induced next weds anyway. You just never know. But I know that I wanted to give it a shot to happen on it's own.

Don't worry about upsetting family or feeling stupid in front of your doctor. This is your birth experience.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I just called and left a message for my doctor to call me.  Maybe it's that I need reassurance or I need to be told more specifics... sigh
  • Personally I would hold off until 41 wks at least if possible. I've been facing induction for weeks bc of PIH and thankfully it's stayed stable so I was able to stretch my Dr to letting me go to 41 weeks in the hopes of a) going into labor on my own, or at least b) being a better candidate for induction if it has to happen. Your family can wait if you think your delivery will be healthier by waiting - they're the last people to worry about for a decision like this. Do what feels best for you and baby. Also, do you know your Bishop's score? Have you had any progress at all yet?
  • I don't know my Bishop's score but I know I dilated from 0 to 1cm from the 25th to the 29th.  I've had spotting, an insane amount of mucus discharge and cramping in the past two days.

I know a lot of people hit 39 wks or 40 wks and can't wait to go into labor.  While I'm anxious, my mind and body aren't screaming "get this baby out of me" yet - which I feel is kind of odd.  Shouldn't I be at that point by now?

• my doc offered to induce me on my due date because it was her last day in office and the next week she was on vaca.  i was not mentally prepared for it quite yet, i was sure she would come on her own so we chose to wait til 41 weeks, the closer it got the more nervous i got and i tried every home induction technique in the book.  none worked.  my doctors office doesn't let you go longer than 41 weeks and i didn't really want to because i was afraid of her getting too big.  well the day of the induction, that morning i asked DH if he could call the hospital and see if we could delay it a couple days, i had barely slept that night and was soooo nervous.  but looking back i'm glad i did it, if i waited it would have made me more nervous.  also i ended up with a c section cause DD's head was too big and he doc on call was the only doc that does stitches, all others do staples, so you can't even tell i got a c section.  do whats right for you , but thought i would let you know i was scared out of my mind for an induction and it turned out just fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTwinkz:

I don't know my Bishop's score but I know I dilated from 0 to 1cm from the 25th to the 29th.  I've had spotting, an insane amount of mucus discharge and cramping in the past two days.

I know a lot of people hit 39 wks or 40 wks and can't wait to go into labor.  While I'm anxious, my mind and body aren't screaming "get this baby out of me" yet - which I feel is kind of odd.  Shouldn't I be at that point by now?

I'm only at that point because I have been thinking I'd be delivered any day for the last six weeks, so kinda over bedrest and holding my breath. However, aside from the mental game, I feel great and could patiently wait another 10 days if I had that option. But it sounds like you're getting really close on your own - you have more symptoms than I do! Not sure when your induction is, but will your Dr push the date to 41 weeks since it sounds like you might go on your own in the next few days anyway?

• I updated above -- I talked to my doctor and we cancelled my induction. He said my symptoms sound good and while they don't necessarily mean I'll go on my own there's no medical reason for me to be induced, he only offered and scheduled because most woman don't want to go past their due date
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"