Preemies

advice on gifts or support?

I posted on this on AP, and thought some mamas here might have suggestions.

My closest friend just had her 1st baby (32 wks) today. They are new to the city they're in, and weren't expecting an early birth. So they don't have much support out there. Fortunately, her parents are en route and will stay with them as long as needed.

What are some things that those of us far away could send to help support her, her new LO, her husband, and parents during their time in the NICU?

Thanks so much!

Re: advice on gifts or support?

• It's so nice of you to think of your friends.... here are just some ideas...  

Gift cards for gas is a great gift. There is an unbelievable amount of driving back and forth to the hospital when you have a child in the NICU. 

Gift cards for restaurants that are along the way to and from their house to the hospital and/or have take out options for them so that they can grab and go but get away from the hospital food for a little while.

Just let them know that you are there for them. It is hard to understand what it's like, unless you have been there... but just knowing that there is someone there for them whether its on the phone, chat, e-mail etc.

Preemie clothes... it was so nice when I could actually put clothes on my LO... it was great to feel like a real mom "dressing" my son (picking out the outfit, putting it on them, washing them etc). 

Also, a great book is the Dr. Sears Preemie book. It's a great thing for people to read so that they know that their feelings are validated and ok to have. Plus recommend this site... I know I have been grateful to have this to talk to other preemie mom's! 

GL! 

• pp had great ideas.  I also was allowed to use our own blankets in her isolette even before she could wear clothes so some cute recieving blankets would be nice too.  We also were sent our diaper bag(we had not had our shower) which we used to lug all our stuff back and forth to the nicu everyday.  I also had my best friend pick up pumping things for me.  I did not have any nursing bras/tanks and it was so nice to send my bff to get them for me.  Also your friend will be pumping all the time.   I eventually smarted up and bought multiple parts for the pump so that I didn't need to wash them each time.  It was wonderful and I swear life changing to have the multiple sets.  Also the micro sterilizers were awesome.  A little pumping care package could be so helpful. 

Also send you friend over here or to thepreemiepalace.com so that she can get some support while she is going through this difficult time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • thank you both! it is just really hard knowing they're so far from friends right now, and these are wonderful ideas.

i know she's very worried about breastfeeding. i know the joy of multiple pump kits myself, but i wouldn't have thought of that! gas cards too!

• One of my friends who lives many states away sent a care package which included Bag Balm (your hands get incredibly dried out with all the scrubbing in you do at the NICU), breakfast cookies for on the go, and a book.

Another friend follows my blog and sends text messages on a regular basis. I appreciate that so much because she doesn't try to call me, especially when I post about bad news and will not want to talk about it yet. She sends words of encouragement, prayers, etc. I appreciate it so much. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"