Postpartum Depression

Very worried! Will pre-pd=post pd

Ok well, here goes... Before I got pregnant I had spent many years dealing with a wide spectrum of depression/anxiety issues. I was on medication until late October (about 17weeks pregnant) when hormone changes causes it to stop being effective. In fact, it was working against me. So, I quit taking it and have actually felt really great ever since. However, I'm really worried about it coming back. I'm worried that I've been caught up in all the wonders of pregnancy and the idea of something new and exciting, etc... and that once I have the baby and I'm taking care of it every day and getting no sleep that my depression will come creeping back. 

I guess my question here would be, how many of you dealt with depression pre-pregnancy and how quickly did it come back? Is it/was it worse afterwards? did you get back on the meds you were on before or did you have to start something new?  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
I Bump from my phone 90% of the time, with a baby in my lap, so please excuse my bad format and poor spelling and/or punctuation.

Re: Very worried! Will pre-pd=post pd

• Before I got pregnant, I too had depression/anxiety on and off for years.  I didnt take medication during my pregnancy.  My depression/anxiety came back about 2 months after having LO.  I think the sleep deprivation makes it a lot worse.  Depression and anxiety are worsened by lack of sleep, lack of a healthy diet/exercise (which is difficult with a newborn/young baby), life changes, body changes (birth, labor, delivery).  Mine started off moderate but then I didnt get help until just this week, I let it go too far and it has definitely been the worst it has even been.  Not to scare you, just make sure you get help as soon as you think you need it.  I have started Zoloft because we are nursing, I used to be on Citalopram (not sure of the brand name, maybe Celexa?)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"