Washington Babies

? for mom's pregnant at 35 or over

I am 35, will be 36 when this LO is born.  I had a short discussion with my nurse yesterday about this, and she gave me some info.  I am wondering if anyone had an amnio, or just did the screening instead?  I am little nervous about the risks being higher, and I had the quad screening when I was pregnant with Austin.

Thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ? for mom's pregnant at 35 or over

• I was close enough to 35 that I had the discussion with my OB.  We agreed that I would do the genetic screening (BW and US) and based off the results would decide if an amnio was necessary.  The results of the screening were so low that I did not even have to consider it.
    DH-NOA confirmed with TESE, ME-Unexplained After 1 Miscarriage, 6 IUI's, our little miracles are here. Proud Parents of Twins. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    We're Finally Three
  • imageMrs.Kiltlifter:
    I was close enough to 35 that I had the discussion with my OB.  We agreed that I would do the genetic screening (BW and US) and based off the results would decide if an amnio was necessary.  The results of the screening were so low that I did not even have to consider it.

This. I too was a "geriatric pregnancy" - LOL (2/10 are nowadays). I was 34 but would be 35 when I delivered (by 2 weeks!) so I had a lot of extra check-in's and ultrasounds, which actually turned out to be really nice. I too went by the measurements (which were fine) and decided the 1% risk of miscarriage due to amnio was not worth it. I think if the #'s were questionable or borderline I would have...

• Loading the player...
  • I'm WAY over 35 - 42 actually.  And I had the NT scan - measurement at my 12 week ultrasound combined with blood test. The results were given to me as odds - 1:861 of downs, which are "good enough" odds for me.  20 week ultrasound confirmed great development and no worries. 

It's a very personal decision which tests you go through.  Which answers will allow you to enjoy your pregnancy and not worry?  are "odds" enough or do you need conclusive answers?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was 39 when I was pregnant. We had the discussion with my OB and decided against any testing. The ultrasound looked all right and it took us 5 years to get pregnant (we finally had to go IVF) so we decided that we wouldn't have done anything should there have been a problem with the baby. It would have just caused more worry for me during the pregnancy. That was just our thoughts on the subject. Decide what you would do with the information if there is a problem and weigh your testing options in that light. Especially since amnio can potentially cause problems (miscarriage) in a small percent of pregnancies.

BTW - we have a lovely, healthy baby girl.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo
  • I was 35 and 5/6ths :)  It worked out with timing that I missed the window of opportunity because of a miscalculation by the receptionist.  It took us two and a half years to get pregnant, with a miscarriage, so the results would not have changed my mind either.  It worked out ok for us.  I have also heard of too many false "positives" and that I know would have freaked me out even more than knowing nothing at all.

Good luck!

• While I was not 35 when I was pregnant, I did have a CVS (similar to an amnio, but done earlier in pregnancy).

It is a very personal decision because it does carry some risk of miscarriage.  I would say, think about what you'll do with the information once you have it.  For us, the risk of DS or Tri-18 was WAY higher than the risk of miscarriage, so, we went forward with the CVS.  Also, we'd determined that if baby had Tri-18 we would terminate, but if baby had DS we would continue the pregnancy and use the time until her birth to prepare for a special needs baby.

The test is expensive, painful, and very emotional.  I would say if your risk of a genetic abnormality is deemed low by non-invasive tests, I personally would not do a CVS or amnio.

• imageMrs.Kiltlifter:
    We agreed that I would do the genetic screening (BW and US) and based off the results would decide if an amnio was necessary.  The results of the screening were so low that I did not even have to consider it.

This!

imageAlli923:
    I would say, think about what you'll do with the information once you have it.  For us, the risk of DS or Tri-18 was WAY higher than the risk of miscarriage, so, we went forward with the CVS.  Also, we'd determined that if baby had Tri-18 we would terminate, but if baby had DS we would continue the pregnancy and use the time until her birth to prepare for a special needs baby.

I would say if your risk of a genetic abnormality is deemed low by non-invasive tests, I personally would not do a CVS or amnio.

And all of this!

I'm 39 and we did the NT scan and b/w, and quad screening.  We had decided that we would use those results to decide if an amnio was necessary.  We were going to do an amnio if our risk of Tri-18 was higher than the risk of m/c from amnio.  We would have terminated for Tri-18, also, but not DS.  Luckily, our numbers all came back very low.  We're still planning to try for baby #2 and we'll use the same reasoning for testing, again.

Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • I was 37 and 40 when my guys were born. I did all of the screening bit didn't feel the need for an amnio based on the results. I am high risk for non age related reasons too.
  • I was 35 when pregnant and when I gave birth. I had the NT scan done with all the blood tests. Had anything abnormal come back, I would have opted for an amnio. However, everything looked great and was also great at our 20 week ultrasound, so we were happy with that.

Side note: Why didn't anyone tell me how much harder sleep deprivation is when you're not in your 20's anymore?  Stick out tongue

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"