2nd Trimester

Bridesmaid Dress

Okay so I am not super skinny but not plus size. I have larger hips and wear a size 32d chest pre pregnancy. I order my dress for my best friends wedding in Sept. Found out I was pregnant in November so I had to go back to get a bigger size. Pre pregnancy she ordered me a 14 and we were gonna take in waist but my chest needed a bigger size. When I told the dress lady I was pregnant she said o hunny we need to order you a 26!!! This is your first pregnancy you might be huge. I will be 32 weeks at her wedding. She kept telling you do not wanna be uncomfortable or it to be to small. I cried so hard over this dress. This past weekend I went to dress place to try on my dress cause it came in and it fell off me completely. The seamstress says wow this is really big and a lot of work needs done. I felt like house in it. I am just really annoyed I am gonna pay double now and I feel like the lady knew I was not going to grow 12 sizes! I wish I would have taken my mom with me because when I got home and called her she said she did it on purpose to get you to order the more expensive dress! Any one else have this problem? I am not one bit excited for her wedding n feel horrible about it:(

Re: Bridesmaid Dress

• Wow, that is a huge size difference. I'll be a bridesmaid when I'm about 31 weeks and I ordered 2 or 3 sizes larger (I don't remember now).

Hopefully you have a good seamstress because they will pretty much have to completely redo the dress.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • i'll be a maid of honor in a good friend's wedding in the beginning of august. i'm due at the end of august/beginning of september.
    i'm a size 8/10 pre pregnancy, and ordered a size 22. and i came up with that number based on the weight i gained with DS/how big i was.
    we also got a dress that will be favorable to pregnant women..meaning the dress has "panels" that you can add to, or take out.

i guess it's hard for you because you've never been pregnant before. and altough i know every pregnancy is different, at least i had something to go off of.

hopefully they have a good seamstress to make ur dress fit right!! GL!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Me too! She just said like wow this is really big..I know it is I should not have ordered that much bigger. I just do not want the dress to not be able to be completely taken in to fit nicely. I am going to big enough, I do not want to look like I am wearing a blanket with no form!
  • imagepanucci1314:
    Okay so I am not super skinny but not plus size. I have larger hips and wear a size 32d chest pre pregnancy. I order my dress for my best friends wedding in Sept. Found out I was pregnant in November so I had to go back to get a bigger size. Pre-pregnancy she ordered me a 14 and we were gonna take in waist but my chest needed a bigger size. When I told the dress lady I was pregnant she said o hunny we need to order you a 26!!! This is your first pregnancy you might be huge. I will be 32 weeks at her wedding. She kept telling you do not wanna be uncomfortable or it to be to small. I cried so hard over this dress. This past weekend I went to dress place to try on my dress cause it came in and it fell off me completely. The seamstress says wow this is really big and a lot of work needs done. I felt like house in it. I am just really annoyed I am gonna pay double now and I feel like the lady knew I was not going to grow 12 sizes! I wish I would have taken my mom with me because when I got home and called her she said she did it on purpose to get you to order the more expensive dress! Any one else have this problem? I am not one bit excited for her wedding n feel horrible about it:(

I just went through this last month for my cousins wedding.  I tried on the dress before I got pregnant and the size 4 was big on me, but the closes size to fit me.  I argued with the store about what size to order since the dress was super expensive even before alterations.  The store convinced me to buy a size 6.  Thank goodness I did, because between the time I ordered the dress in Novemeber to the wedding in March I couldn't even fit into my size 6 and I have not gained much weight at all!  Most bridesmaids dresses are not your normal sizes and since you have no clue how big or little you will be at the time of the wedding I'd wait and get alterations no more than 2 weeks before the wedding...keep the size you ordered.  The dress ended up looking awful on me,  Since I change shape and size so easily nowadays I couldnt' have them alter it to a snug fit just in case.  In the long run, its not your wedding and you won't have to look at the pictures of yourself for the rest ofyour life, the bride will.  I looked awful in all the pictures at the wedding, but it is what it is.

I ended up spending $350 for the bridesmaids dress I wore for the wedding and hated every second of wearing it.  I feel for you, but in the end you suck it up or tell her you can't be in the wedding. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one going through this panic. I ordered my dress for my best friends wedding in November and in January found out I was pregnant. She's getting married in May and I popped at 10 weeks, this being my first pregnancy. So the dress that fit me beautifully at a size 12 in November now no longer goes over my tummy AT ALL. That said the blessing was the dress is full length with a flowy outside of chiffon, the under material is the issue, it's forming fitting satin, and the dress in pink. I'm going to look like a pregnant salmon if it doesn't get altered correctly. The best idea I cam up with was this. Simply slitting the dress up the sides and adding material. The wedding colors are pink and black and if we add some black material on the sides in an upside down "V" just at the bust line to the floor it will give me room for the baby bump but keep my boobs roughly the same size (the cup size was big to begin with because of the measurements of a size 12, I had junk in the trunk before pregnancy but hardly any boobage). My best advice, find a really good seamstress, or tell the owner of the shop where you got the dress that you will be returning the original product and ordering something smaller and you will be doing so at HER expense, since HER expertise failed to help YOU as the customer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This might make me awful, but eh whatever. 

I just declined being a bridesmaid in my only sisters wedding (which went from July 2012 to May 2011...so yeah, HUGE change in plans) because I didn't want to deal with not knowing how big I'd be at 28 weeks and having to buy a dress.

She was disappointed, but understood.  I have zero desire to even own a dress I'll never wear again, much less be immortalized in a bunch of pictures of her special day while huge and swollen. 

I commend you ladies for even dealing with this...it sounds awful.  :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"