High-Risk Pregnancy

Trying to avoid insulin

Over the last couple of weeks my fasting levels have creeped up.  They are still USUALLY under the 95 that my doc wants, but I've had too many above that.  I have an appt. on Monday and am hoping I can come up with a solution before then and avoid insulin.  My other levels are great.  I'm taking 1.25 mg of glyburide at bedtime.  I've tried upping that to 2.5, but overnight my levels get too low and it ends up raising my fasting level.  I've tried more carbs at bedtime, less carbs, more protein....help.  Any suggestions?  I'm willing to try anything.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Trying to avoid insulin

• I'm not sure what your Dr. will say but for mine I was able to go up to 20 mg before they put me on insulin. I was struggling with my levels though so I ended up on Insulin as of this week. as for what to do with food, I'm not sure what to tell you, for me it was just that my body wasn't doing what it needed to do.  Good luck! I understand wanting to avoid the insulin. I still can't inject myself, DH has to do it for me. =( its sad lol! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The only other things I can think is to try a later snack or eating a snack in the middle of the night.  Good luck!  They gave me a good 2-3 weeks when my fasting numbers started getting higher to try things.  Unfortunately- I couldn't do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Dont know if this will help or not... my numers are going up this week to and I cant figure out why.  I am just on diet right now, but totally scared of insulin.  I just started walking on the treadmill ( we have one in the basement) after breakfast for 15 min.  I plan on doing it again when my daughter naps and after I put herr to bed for the night.  I am hoping that the little bit of extra exercise will bring my numbers down a bit.  Just started this morning so I dont have any results to share yet.
  • i'm not sure what you can do that you haven't tried yet, but i just wanted to chime in and say that going on insulin isn't horrible.  if your body needs it, it needs it.

it's really not a horrible thing, and honestly, i found checking my sugars way more painful than the insulin injections!  i had my insulin in pen form, similar to an epi pen.  it was super easy to adjust my insulin amounts.

just wanted to let you know that it's really not scary or horrible if you do end up needing insulin.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"