North Carolina Babies

***jenhum & BackthePack***

Sorry I had to run so soon after you posted this morning.  Kira was really cranky today and later I discovered tooth #4, so at least that explains it.  (Normally she's happy to terrorize our dog if I need to type for a few minutes!) And I got my hair cut this evening so I was gone for a bit too.

Again, I loved meeting both of you yesterday!  I'm sorry that the conversation was so focused, but maybe you can come back again and we can talk about other things AND CDs. :)

The other two moms were indeed from TriadMommies.  They had asked questions, so I invited them to attend.  I had actually invited 2 others as well, but one had to vote (it was the only day she and her DH could) and one's due date was yesterday. ;) The two who were there were both young moms with young babies and they wanted a little extra guidance, I think. :)

I think the others below did a good job of giving you a range of places to begin.  It's a bit harder for me since I started with a newborn stash and that has slowly grown and grown and, yes, exploded!  But...I would decide a type of two that you'd like to focus on.  I liked that fitteds plus covers had that double level of containment/backup, so I focused on those.  I also had prefolds to fill in the gaps since they're so much cheaper, and as I told you I liked using those in g diaper covers.  And I like having just a couple AIOs on hand too.

I'm guessing that Jeremiah might be peeing about 20 times a day at his age?  Kira strted at 24+, then gradually decreased until 6 months when she got down to 15, and now it's only about 12.  (That number goes the wrong direction, since now I have more diapers!) In that case, if you want to do laundry every other day, plus have enough for him to wear while the laundry is running, you'll probably want about 42-44 diapers total.  If I were starting now -- and you need to do what works for your family -- I'd choose about 16-20 fitteds (and I'd get about half one-size diapers), about 20-24 prefolds, 3-4 PUL covers, 1 wool cover (if you want -- that can wait), plus 2-4 AIOs.  And like I said on the handout, I'd buy a regular trash can with a lid, 2 pail liners (I like WAHMies brand), and 1-2 wet bags for your diaper bag.  Then you'll want good detergent too; check out the links on the handout or you can try Crunchy Clean that mrsmikey loves.  We've used dryer balls for a long time on our clothes, but if you don't have them already I'd recommend them, plus a drying rack.  If you want to try cloth wipes, there are quite a few places to buy those, or if you have more talent than I do, you can make them yourself.  (If you want more specifics, let me know and I'll send you a few names.  Mine are from katedanzer on DiaperSwappers that kateland3 mentioned.) I prefer cloth "wipes" to washcloths, but washcloths work too.  I recommend 12-16 or so.  Wipes solution isn't necessary but you can buy some of that; last night I passed around "Ribbits" from London Frogg.  It lasts forever!

Hopefully this combined with the "resources" handout is enough to get you started!  I'll have to get back to you both about what I have for sale.  Honestly I don't have much left since I sold a bunch this summer, but I do have a few fitteds, covers, and a couple AIOs left. And I have a a lot of brand new goodmamas, the $ ones we mentioned; those may not be the best place to start, but they are one-size and they'd be an amazing investment. We still use the monkey Nana's Bottoms but you can contact Denise and have her make an identical one for you and it'll not cost much more than buying mine would since mine has hardly been used! :)  (DH loves monkeys, so I keep his satisfied with my CD habit by buying "him" a diaper every now and then.  He even has a couple t-shirts that he wears proudly!)

Again, sorry for the delay!  Feel free to ask away, but often I can't get back on until DH and Kira are asleep!!!  And HAVE FUN SHOPPING!!! :)

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
Our early Christmas present 12/9/10

Re: ***jenhum & BackthePack***

• Thanks for all this info! I sent you an email, so if you just want to reply if there's anything in there that you didn't cover in here (although I think you hit all the high points).

I think I will contact her to make me a Monkey diaper - it was so adorable! I actually did order one diaper from her tonight (just to try out). Then I noticed she has a 40% off sale going on through tomorrow (10-31). I'm thinking about ordering more since they are on sale. Any suggestions on fabrics?

You made me think of another question - how often do you change Kira? I usually only change J every 2.5 - 3 hrs. Do I have to change him as soon as he pees b/c that's ALL THE TIME!

• back-

I think alchris pretty much does change Kira every time she pees, which is alot.  I don't change Eli that much.  In his CDs, I change him about every 2 hours, unless of course he poops.  I go longer in disposables, but I learned you have to change them a little more often in cloth. 

Question-how much was the diaper you got?  I was a little confused looking at her prices.  I was also overwhelmed with all the fabrics. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I got a diaper that was on sale (brown M/L AIO w/ snaps) for $13 which includes shipping (it's already been shipped - super fast!). I didn't see the code for 40% off until after I ordered it. BTW - the 40% off is just for the ones that are already made & in-stock.

I was also really confused by all the fabrics, so I figured I would just get one that was already made so I didn't have to make those choices (not until I learn more about the fabrics). You can email her - Denise - mdpdtrayler@juno.com. She was really helpful & quick to respond to an email I sent her.

I'm glad to know I don't have to change him everytime he pees. That would be ridiculous! Remind me again what diapers you have? How does he do in them at night? Do they leak?

• I'll definitely have to look at what she's got.  I told DH we were done buying diapers, but I may not be able to pass that up!

We currently only use BG3.0s.  They are the one size pockets.  They work great for us.  We haven't had any problems with leaks, until one time when they started repelling.  So I stripped them and haven't had any problems since.  They work great for us at night.  We use the extra doubler that comes with them, and he's in them for about 12 hours every night with no leaks.  And he sleeps every which way, back, side, tummy.  I really love them.  But I am interested in getting some AIOs for occassional use.  BG also makes a good AIO, but I have no personal experience with them.  I think Evans has some.

If I were a SAHM, I'd probably go the fitted/covers route.  But I figured with both of us working FT, we needed something quick and easy.

• I just ordered 2 small AIO's from Nana's Bottoms, I'm excited to get them :). I got one with suedecloth inner (I think that's what the BG's have, right?) and one with velour inner.

Alchris, definitely let me know what GM patterns you have...I may have to try one just to see what all the hype is about :).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yes, the BGs have a suedecloth inner.  It's super soft!

Oh, and if you are interested in cloth wipes, I really like mine from WAHMies.  They are really thick and absorbant.  They're fleece on one side, and terry sherpa on the other.  I rarely need more than one.  I'd like to wipe my own butt with them!  I tried just using washcloths, but for me they weren't as good.

• Oh yes, I always change as soon as she pees, at least when we're home.  I see it as my job as Mommy.  I don't understand why anyone would knowingly leave a wet diaper on their baby.  Sposies' costs add up so I guess it makes sense that parents wouldn't want to change any more than they "need" to, but with sposies it'd concern me even more because of the chemicals and because of the smell.  We wash them every other day regardless, so why not change them when they're wet?  They can absorb more pee than that, but I don't want them to have to; it just seems uncomfortable, even if it's a stay-dry fabric.  Except when we're gone in an inconvenient location, and overnight. ;)

I don't think that fitteds take a second longer to use than pockets.  If anything, I think pockets take more time because you have to unstuff and restuff them each time.  And you have to wash the entire pocket diaper each time, whereas with fitteds you only wash the fitted each time.  I recommend going coverless as much as possible at home (heck, they're cute, I want to see them :)), use a PUL or wool cover when you're out, and wool at night. (And there's fleece too, but it doesn't stretch as well as wool, so I prefer wool.  But the benefit of fleece is that you can wash right with your clothes.)   Pockets don't give you those options, but that doesn't mean that fitteds take more time, IMO. :)  And I never had her go coverless as a newborn, BTW; those tiny dipes tend to get saturated immediately when they don't have a soaker in there like most fitteds come with (snap-in, lay-in, or sewn-in), plus you never know when you're going to need that outer layer of protection in the legs from runny poop. :)

In other words, if you use a cover, I'd say that fitteds/covers and pockets are about the same amount of effort, with prefolds being slightly more effort and AIOs slightly less.  Laundry-wise, prefold and fitteds are easiest, and pockets and AIOs require more to be washed.  None of it's hard -- just relatively speaking here!

I agree that Denise at Nana's Bottoms is always super quick!   I ordered the nb AIOs before Kira was born and these three mediums from her this spring.  They're not that much cheaper to buy used since they tend to be such a good deal new.  And often she'll run a 20% off coupon on all orders, incl. customs.  In a nutshell, microfleece and suedecloth are "stay dry," and the rest aren't.  Then choose whichever fabrics you think are cute! And the bamboo velour is definitely worth it -- SO soft. :)

Sorry again for the delay.  My computer maxed out on me last night and wouldn't restart this morning, then, thanks to mrsmikey, Kira had her Halloween picture taken!  (Thanks, mikey -- they were really sweet!)

I'll e-mail you later on about the ones I can sell you guys!!! :)

THANK YOU!!! :)

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"