Austin Babies

WWYD: Insurance Coverage for Baby

So I called this week and added DD to my insurance and the guy asked me if I wanted to add her to the dental and vision insurance as well. I didn't at the time but was wondering if I should. I can't imagine needing those two during her first year of life. WWYD? Any recommendations or experience with these and your DC?

Re: WWYD: Insurance Coverage for Baby

• I wouldnt think you would need to add her to those right now since she wont even being using it.  If your insurance is like mine, you can just add her during the next open enrollment, when she has teeth.
  • We didn't get dental or vision for DD yet, but we will in a couple of years :)
  • Loading the player...
  • It's recommended that you get your baby's eyes checked at 6 months.  Check out the InfantSEE website for more info.

https://www.infantsee.org/x3445.xml

• I guess I am going to be the oddball here.  I would want to at least have the vision insurance.  If you're in a situation with an eye infection, eye injury, cataract, evidence of vision loss, etc., that is typically not something your regular pediatrician will treat.  I am not comfortable risking the cost of something like that.  :-)  Interestingly enough, DD did get an eye infection about two weeks ago.  My pedi treated it with an antibiotic but said if it didn't start to clear up in three days, she was going to refer her to an eye doctor. 

Now, as far as dental insurance, you are probably fine without that.  I was trying to think of a situation where you would need it with an infant and I am not really coming up with anything.  The only thing I can really think of is if DC has some type of jaw problem or major issue with tooth erruption.  Seems to me these things would be very unlikely to occur.  Having said that, I do actually have dental insurance for DD as well.  It only costs us about $3 per month, so it seems silly to take any risk to save $36.  What can I say, I am very fiscally conservative and taking any monetary risk at all makes me pretty nervous.  :-)

• we added both it wasn't much more a month and better covered and not needed than not and do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm going to agree w/emabend, esp about vision coverage.  Especially if the cost is minimal and definitely if the cost is nothing!  Dental I would wait at least until your next open enrollment.

Having said that, I have no idea if DH put Logan on his vision/dental plans!  Gotta look into that!

• We didn't, but we didn't have the option.  DD did have to go to the eye doctor around 5 months.  It wasn't terribly expensive ($120ish, I think), but there was a chance of her needing surgery, which I'm sure would have been a small fortune.  I honestly don't know if the surgery would have been covered under vision or health, but the original appointment was not covered by her regular health insurance.

I would wait until next year's enrollment to add dental.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"