LGBT Parenting
Options

PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

How are the little one's this week?  How are the bump's progressing?  Any new TTC news?

QOTD: Are you concerned with the chemicals in cleaners and their effect on your family's health?  Anything from household cleaners to shampoo, bodywash and toothpaste.

Re: PCP/TTC/ATP Wednesday

• Options

Ky went from arny, to inchworn, and now full fledged crawling! It is so cute to watch her go with some actual speed now! She also now knows she can follow us around the house and has discovered there is more to our house than the living room....which means she knows where the sliding glass door is to the backyard. She likes to sit there when the dogs are outside and bang on the window and "kiss" the dogs through the glass.

Ann hated the color compare strips for OPK so we bought the fancy smiley face ones. Crossing our fingers for this cycle as our KD is hinting he is a no go after this month. We have a back-up but he lives farther away and has a more hectic schedule making it more difficult.

QOTD: I am going to be honest and say I do not give it much thought. I think that sounds terrible but with everything else going on I do not have itme to worry abut my windex or scrubbing bubbles. And quite frankly I think J&J baby products smell like babies....especially the oatmeal one we used on Ky when she first came home from the hospital and switched back to recently for her dry skin.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Last weekend's visit with LO went very well.  This weekend should be our last visitation, the current scheduled move-in date is April 11-12th. 

A went back to school this week after being on spring break, she is happy to be back at school. 

QOTD: In researching products for LO's hair I've found that a lot of moms prefer to use sulfate free products.  I started researching sulfates and was astounded at their effects; skin irritation/skin corrosion, hormone imbalance, eye irritation/eye deformities in children, protein denaturing, and carcenogenicity (potential to cause cancer).  Okay, so yeah, skin irritation and eye irritation aren't so bad but what about hormone imbalance, protein denaturing and carcenogenicity?  I want my kids to be able to have children of their own someday and the sulfates in their bodywashes, handsoaps, and toothpaste could make thier hormones so out of whack that they may not have that chance.  I also don't want to expose my kids to something that could potentially give them cancer.

Once all of our current sulfate laden products are used up I am going sulfate (SLS, SLES, and SCS) free.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DD is really walking now!  It's not just five or six steps anymore.  It's so adorable to watch and yet now she has more bumps and bruises than ever before :-p  She is also saying "bye-bye" waving constantly.  I try to explain that she needs to say "Hi" first but it's always "bye-bye" - lol!  I'm pretty certain her one year molars are trying to work their way out.  She is doing that funny tongue thing, is refusing to nurse, and has been a bit cranky.  Overall though I'm just lovin' this child more and more each day. :-)

QOTD - My moto in everything parenting related is "it's all about balance."  I'm not going to freak out if DD has some J&J lotion but I'll balance it out with other stuff. Most of the stuff I have is stuff given to us at our shower (I'm not kidding - I'm still on our first bottle of shampoo).  As those things disappear I replace them with more health friendly options.  I'm never going to catch everything and she won't ever be 100% protected from potential harm but I'll do what I can within my means to make her world a little less chemical.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Eli is waiving hi and bye now and we think starting to say a few words or at least consistently associate sounds with with objects. It seems like he is saying ma or mama and up and hi. This morning he really wanted Kel to hold him as soon as she got out of the shower and I told him that she was busy but if he said "up ma" she would. so he totally did--it is probably just a coincidence but it was hilarious :) On the bump front, I have a growth ultrasound in about 3 hours. I am excited to see the baby again!

QOTD-- we use a lot of organic and low/no dye/perfume products, but it is definitely a balance thing for us. We also use a lot of stuff that we received as gifts and I definitely haven't done as much research as I could. This is something that we want to be mindful up without obsessing over as our kids grow up.

• Options

The kids are good. Carter has spring allergies for the first time (he's gotten fall ones for the past few years) which means that he's up several times coughing and me doling out cough meds at all hours. How can L sleep through a kid hacking his head off at 3am? Yawn. Behavior is still a challenge since they seem to be fighting a lot more than usual, narcing on each other ("Moooooom, Grayson just hit me/took my toy/looked at me the wrong way."), and challenging us. They are really good kids, but ohmigoodness.. Big Smile

No, we don't pay much attention to those things. I know I probably should be more aware, but we buy J&J shampoo/baby bath (I love how it smells) from Costco and I haven't looked at anything else. We have a cleaning service and I have no idea what they use. We use Simply Green pray to clean up the kitchen and wipe up the bath - I don't know about the chemicals, but like the way it smells.

Yea, it is all about the smell. :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Bump is progressing each baby weighing a pound now. M is still on bedrest.  I am feeling a lil blue lately and down. Sorry to be a downer.

We found out that we will likely have to cancel our showers in CA. I know this will sound so bratty and narcissistic and just flat out greedy .. But we were hoping to have the major stuff taken care of . We are Buying a house and hopefully buying a car and well fixing minor things in house and moving .. and well we did not plan on buying a ton a of baby stuff for ourselves.   Ack ... overwhelmed. 

I also feel a lil jaded in that these will be our first kids and seems like our moms are saying well you dont really need that and you can wait for that ... and I feel like just because they are not 1st time grandparents somehow we are supposed to take a back seat to things... But even though my kids prolly wont sleep in the nursery for a while we still want to decorate one and have one...

We are so fortunate for the hand-me-downs we are getting though.  I guess we will figure it out as we go I am so not a fly by the seat of my pants person  Melanie and her family as so that way. I have dos babies on the way and I know I need to plan a lil bit and we will need a schedule - time line... something. 

QOTD: we were more conscious about the chemicals when we were TTC .. We try to get stuff that does not Animal test but sulfates and all that I had no clue. I am super allergic to most stuff any how.  Cleaners I just base on how they smell. We used green cleaner and it did not clean for sh**.   Although I am looking for pest control and carpet cleaner and inquiring about chemicals they use- so I am on the fence.

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • Options

Ella is really progressing on her receptive language and I have seen some major leaps in what she understands as well as an increase in the words she has.  She is now pointing to objects in books when I ask her which she has refused to do for ever. The bad thing that happened this week is that she got bit at daycare this week.  It didn't break the skin but all the same it was upsetting and she had a set of teeth marks on her face.  Boo.  I spoke to our dc provider and I think they have a handle on the situation but I just hate that someone hurt her.  She is picking up some behaviors from the other kids that I am not all that happy with but we have started to work on it at home so hopefully it doesn't get too bad.  Other than that I am just counting the days until vacation and then to the summer. 

Oh does anyone have a favorite life vest for a toddler.  We need one for the lake this summer.  We bought her one last year and it was horrible although I don't know if it is because she was just too small for it last year.  The rule is that below 5 if you are down by the water you wear a life vest so I need something comfy that she can play in and be safe.

As for the question of the week.  We try to do a balance too.  We are also still working through some of the stuff we got from our shower!  We try to use as much as possible from whole foods ect but I think some stuff is ok.

• Options

Gwen is doing good. She's been sleeping better since she got over the bronchitis, and since we adjusted her bedtime some. Though last night she woke up at 3am because she had peed through her diaper, and was all wet. She got so woken up by getting her diaper and PJs changed that it took me an hour to settle her again and get her to sleep (with us, since I didn't want to deal with trying to change sheets at 3:30!!). After that she took a little to get comfortable, and kept moving around in her sleep... until she finally found a comfy spot about 30 minutes after that, with her feet by our faces and her head on my leg!! Mama's sleepy this morning!

QOTD: I am, though I try to find a good balance between using more environmentally/health-friendly items, but not breaking the bank in the process or freaking out about the "less important" things. I tried to register for greener items, so we're still working through our green body wash, diaper cream, and lotions... which is nice. (We aren't as picky with our own items.) We use dye and perfume free detergent on all our clothes. I try to get seventh generation diapers as much as possible. I buy some organic foods, although the cost their can be prohibitive. Anything food related that is specifically for Gwen is organic though (her oatmeal, puffs, fruit mash pouches, etc.) and I make sure the whole milk we get her is certified hormone free. We get green cleaners too.

Ideally, I'd love us all to use/eat/be as organic, locally-grown, environmentally friendly as possible... but realistically, we're going to keep shopping sales, because unfortunately money makes the world go round, and we have to make ours go as far as possible. And the green stuff just doesn't go on sale as much! 

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • Options

2moms2twins-

I know how you feel about the shower.  My shower was 3 weeks after E was born and it was really hard because it just was not the same and I felt like I missed out on this wonderful part of pregancy.  We went but I must say I got strange stuff.  At that point people just didn't know what to do so we didn't get a ton of thing that I thought we would get (like socks and spit cloths).  It was fine everyone was very genorous (including some wonderful women on the board) but it wasn't the same.  You are allowed to feel sad about missing out on some things. My work never gave me a shower (even though everyone gets one) because people didn't know what to do (I am still pretty upset about that one).  Anyway could your families do a long distance shower?  You could skype in or something.  Or perhaps the people who would have hosted the showers can send out an "invite" for a virtual shower.  I am sure your friends and family would still love to shower you with love (and some gear!)  I think sometimes when there are complications with a pregnacy or premature birth in my case people kind of don't know what to do.  Do we proceed as usual do we hold off???  Anothe idea is that you hold the shower after the babies are home.  A good friend of mine who also had a preemie chose to hold off on the shower until  the baby came home.  That worked out will too.

• Options
    imagessg73:

Oh does anyone have a favorite life vest for a toddler.  We need one for the lake this summer.  We bought her one last year and it was horrible although I don't know if it is because she was just too small for it last year.  The rule is that below 5 if you are down by the water you wear a life vest so I need something comfy that she can play in and be safe.

It is going to be hard to find one that is comfortable since below 30lbs, all approved vests are required to have the collar that keeps their head up. Both of my kids HATED those things. I know she isn't big enough yet, but when she is, we LOVE Stearns Puddlejumpers. - Both kids have them and they really keep them upright and floating in the water while allowing them to freely move their hands/legs.https://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Puddle-Jumper-Deluxe-Jacket/dp/B00364E1DE/ref=pd_sbs_a_2

What about this?

https://www.amazon.com/Pool-Flotation-Swimsuit-Infants-Toddlers/dp/B0017HRXL4/ref=pd_sim_sg_11 It isn't a approved life jacket, but would keep her upright and floating.

• Options

We got puddlejumpers for Sprout and RB to use this summer.  RB is only about 25lbs, but I know a bunch of moms who've used them for that size toddler with success.

• Options
    image2brides:

Behavior is still a challenge since they seem to be fighting a lot more than usual, narcing on each other ("Moooooom, Grayson just hit me/took my toy/looked at me the wrong way."), and challenging us. They are really good kids, but ohmigoodness.. Big Smile

am i completely out of the loop that i had no idea what that meant until you gave the example? Maybe its a regional thing Wink

but it must be the age.  Sprout gets about a thousand warnings a day (at home and school) about tattling.  I'm about to make a sign that says "Just worry about yourself!!!" to save some breath.

• Options
    Gray was probably just shy of 30lbs last summer when we got them last summer and it was fine. Carter is 42lbs now and when we used them a few weeks ago, it was pretty tight. I am praying they either make it through the summer or learn to swim ASAP! :)
  • Options

My bump is progressing.. or maybe it is fat.. K walked in the room this morning when I was getting dressed and laughed, saying 'Are you kidding me?!'  It's noticeable when I look straight down.. and then I am surprised when I look in the mirror, thinking EVERYONE must know ('cause everyone cares..right?) and all I see is a thick waist = awesome.  

I have already been told I am at risk for bed rest and preterm labor (I am getting u/s every 2-4 weeks) so my sister is already planning my shower.  Not anytime soon!  But she wants to be sure I will be able to be there so she is thinking somewhere in weeks 26-28.  Do you think anyone will think this is weird?  SSG, I totally thought of you (well, your blog) when my sister brought it up to me as an option.  I am into the idea, I just don't want people to think I am (or she is) being gauche. 

QOTD:  I only use organic soap, shampoo, face wash, toothpaste (ick.), lotion, and cleaning products and laundry 'stuff'.  K is a little more lax than me, she uses drug store shampoo and toothpaste but she knows I have my heels dug in when it comes to what we use on the baby.  I won't be a freak about it but when I can control the situation, i.e. bath time, hand wipes, etc. we will only use organic.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagectbride08:
    image2brides:

Behavior is still a challenge since they seem to be fighting a lot more than usual, narcing on each other ("Moooooom, Grayson just hit me/took my toy/looked at me the wrong way."), and challenging us. They are really good kids, but ohmigoodness.. Big Smile

am i completely out of the loop that i had no idea what that meant until you gave the example? Maybe its a regional thing Wink

but it must be the age.  Sprout gets about a thousand warnings a day (at home and school) about tattling.  I'm about to make a sign that says "Just worry about yourself!!!" to save some breath.

See example 4. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=narc maybe you don't hang out in the right crowd. Stick out tongue I am totally going to use the 'just worry about yourself' line.

• Options
    imagessg73:

2moms2twins-

I know how you feel about the shower.  My shower was 3 weeks after E was born and it was really hard because it just was not the same and I felt like I missed out on this wonderful part of pregnancy.  We went but I must say I got strange stuff.  At that point people just didn't know what to do so we didn't get a ton of thing that I thought we would get (like socks and spit cloths).  It was fine everyone was very generous (including some wonderful women on the board) but it wasn't the same.  You are allowed to feel sad about missing out on some things. My work never gave me a shower (even though everyone gets one) because people didn't know what to do (I am still pretty upset about that one).  Anyway could your families do a long distance shower?  You could skype in or something.  Or perhaps the people who would have hosted the showers can send out an "invite" for a virtual shower.  I am sure your friends and family would still love to shower you with love (and some gear!)  I think sometimes when there are complications with a pregnacy or premature birth in my case people kind of don't know what to do.  Do we proceed as usual do we hold off???  Anothe idea is that you hold the shower after the babies are home.  A good friend of mine who also had a preemie chose to hold off on the shower until  the baby came home.  That worked out will too.

Thank you for the validation. SO funny you mentioned skype our Dr also said the same thing about skyping in  and one of my moms friends said I should come to shower and Melanie stay home...seems a lil odd but good ideas.   We will figure something out maybe have a shower in NV and invite everyone form CA- this seems tacky to me. 

I am glad to here you had a similar feeling - I do feel terrible for feeling this way- I was thinking about a meet the baby  after they are here  but we would have to wait till they have all their shots n stuff right.   I also feel like an ass because i should just be focusing on healthy babies right now and all that gear is secondary ...ahh what a A-hole i am ... and now we got the results of the GD test and she has to go back for the 3hr test ... I am not superstitious usually but is ll this a sign of some sort.  Seems hurdle after hurdle.

E was 10 weeks early? How long was her NICU stay?  The Dr told us had we not done the cerclage he is pretty sure we would have delivered at 20weeks ..Yikes. but they still worry about preterm labor- we take it week by week.

Thanks 

J

• Options

My little E is still struggling with her fear of bad dreams every night. This weekend I think we will try the spray bottle approach that themommymonster suggested. My girlfriend also suggested one of those net things that hang over the bed (I so don't know what these are called) to keep the bad dreams out. I'm debating it, but also worried that any change in her environment right now may not help. A coworker told me this morning that she has an extra at home, so maybe we will give it a try. What's one more night? Aside from that, E is growing like a weed and learning lots in school.

QOTD: I haven't paid as much attention to these things as I would like to, but it's something I would like to be more cognizant of. I do try to buy organic when it comes to produce, particularly those that are culprits of carrying chemicals like strawberries, tomatoes, etc.

• Options

SSG our Kiddos try to bite each other (and have gotten us a couple of times). I pray that they never bite another child or adult and they stop biting altogether.

Kiddos are good on this end. As I mentioned Tuesday, Little Man has had a rough week and Peanut smashed her finger pretty bad...poor Baby, the tip of her middle finger is really purple. They are starting to talk more and seem to have developed a language only they can understand *smile.* Sometimes they play really well together...other times they make me dread when the day comes that we will go through what 2brides is experiencing now.

QOTD: C tries hard to use organic and eco-friendly cleaners...that is one reason I clean when they are all gone. Give me some comet and tilex and I am happy. Though I love the smell of Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion, we use some baby-friendly one that has no smell. I feel the biggest loss when it comes to laundry detergent. Like 2brides says, it is all about the smell...sadly that has been replaced by no dyes and no odor *sigh.*

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    2moms2twins-Sorry to all of you who have heard this whole story before.  Ella was born at 30w5d due to pre-e/hellp syndrome.  I had a very normal pregnancy until it went to crap one day.  I went from being fine on the couch at 7pm, to throwing up at 9pm to ER at 10 to being told after being in L&D for 5 min that I was having E in the next 48 hours.  I was in an ambulance taking a quick trip to a larger hospital by 12am.  I became very sick very quickly and ended up with liver and kidney failure so E was born about 30 hours after my initial symptoms.  E was in the hospital for 69 days (she came home about 3 days after my due date).  She had typical problems that 30 weekers have plus some additional ones because she was very small for her gestational age.  E was barely 2lbs at almost 31 weeks and your babies are both over a pound which are very good size for 22 weeks to give you a little perspective.  She dropped under 2 pounds after birth and was a slow gainer.  She only gained 15g/day (yup in the nicu you count every gosh darn gram!) not the 30g/day that most preemies do.  She had a pda, jaudice, a nec scare, anemia (needing blood transfusion), feeding difficulties, problems maitaining her body temp, apnea and bradicardia (forgetting to breath and heart rate dropping) and reflux.  The apnea and bradys are what kept her in the hospital for about 2 additional weeks.  Was it a fun time...not really but we made some amazing friends and well the alternative would have been really bad.  Plus I got this great kid in the end.  She rocks and it has been tough but I don't know if I would do it any other way!  I hope you guys avoid any nicu time as I have said before I know several people who have had amazing success with cerclage and delivered either full term or very close to term babies!  The general rule is that for every day in you knock 2 days off the nicu so keep those babies cooking!  You all are doing a great job.  If you want any more detailed info about the nicu be sure to let me know.  If I can't answer my preemie mafia will be able to help I am sure.
  • Options

imagessg73:
    2moms2twins-Sorry to all of you who have heard this whole story before.  Ella was born at 30w5d due to pre-e/hellp syndrome.  I had a very normal pregnancy until it went to crap one day.  I went from being fine on the couch at 7pm, to throwing up at 9pm to ER at 10 to being told after being in L&D for 5 min that I was having E in the next 48 hours.  I was in an ambulance taking a quick trip to a larger hospital by 12am.  I became very sick very quickly and ended up with liver and kidney failure so E was born about 30 hours after my initial symptoms.  E was in the hospital for 69 days (she came home about 3 days after my due date).  She had typical problems that 30 weekers have plus some additional ones because she was very small for her gestational age.  E was barely 2lbs at almost 31 weeks and your babies are both over a pound which are very good size for 22 weeks to give you a little perspective.  She dropped under 2 pounds after birth and was a slow gainer.  She only gained 15g/day (yup in the nicu you count every gosh darn gram!) not the 30g/day that most preemies do.  She had a pda, jaudice, a nec scare, anemia (needing blood transfusion), feeding difficulties, problems maitaining her body temp, apnea and bradicardia (forgetting to breath and heart rate dropping) and reflux.  The apnea and bradys are what kept her in the hospital for about 2 additional weeks.  Was it a fun time...not really but we made some amazing friends and well the alternative would have been really bad.  Plus I got this great kid in the end.  She rocks and it has been tough but I don't know if I would do it any other way!  I hope you guys avoid any nicu time as I have said before I know several people who have had amazing success with cerclage and delivered either full term or very close to term babies!  The general rule is that for every day in you knock 2 days off the nicu so keep those babies cooking!  You all are doing a great job.  If you want any more detailed info about the nicu be sure to let me know.  If I can't answer my preemie mafia will be able to help I am sure.

Oh my goodness.... Ugg and oddly I do understand how you say you would not have it any other way.  Well so far so good with the cerclage.. but The gestational diabetes test came back so M has to do the 3hr one this Friday and they are also checking her BP as it is slightly elevated.  Ugg Gestational diabetes and pre-e. I have no idea about pre-e other than what i read on line but somehow its not making a connection. 

This may sound odd but from reading your experience it sounds like a positive one and so glad that you are both doing well.  

We are gonna try to keep cooking as long as we can !!!!

Thank you for sharing your story

Jay and Melanie 

• Options
    image2brides:
    imagessg73:

It is going to be hard to find one that is comfortable since below 30lbs, all approved vests are required to have the collar that keeps their head up. Both of my kids HATED those things. I know she isn't big enough yet, but when she is, we LOVE Stearns Puddlejumpers. - Both kids have them and they really keep them upright and floating in the water while allowing them to freely move their hands/legs.https://www.amazon.com/Stearns-Puddle-Jumper-Deluxe-Jacket/dp/B00364E1DE/ref=pd_sbs_a_2

What about this?

https://www.amazon.com/Pool-Flotation-Swimsuit-Infants-Toddlers/dp/B0017HRXL4/ref=pd_sim_sg_11 It isn't a approved life jacket, but would keep her upright and floating.

I love the puddle jumpers but I don't know if she will still be too little for them (maybe next summer they look awesome)  I have been looking at similar suits to the second one you showed I think that is the way we might go for just playing by the water and then a real pfd for the boat.  Thanks

• Options
    image2moms2twins:

Well so far so good with the cerclage.. but The gestational diabetes test came back so M has to do the 3hr one this Friday and they are also checking her BP as it is slightly elevated.  Ugg Gestational diabetes and pre-e. I have no idea about pre-e other than what i read on line but somehow its not making a connection. 

Jay and Melanie 

I ended up with GD and it was not as terrible as I first imagined it! Also I know a lot of women who failed the one hour but passed the three hour. If she does not end up passing and you/she wants to talk or has any questions feel free to ask. I kind of had the head's up on it since my I grew up with a type 1 diabetic mom.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was one of those people who failed the one hour and passed the 3hr. I know of at least 10 other women who have done the same. Good luck! :)  Bring something to do in the waiting room (I had a laptop and movies) and something with protein to eat ASAP after the last blood draw (I had a PB&J in my bag.)
  • Options

my baby got a fever of 103.6 last night out of nowhere (nothing when we brought him home from daycare, but didn't eat his dinner and then crashed out on mommy's lap at 7, and we took his temp). we gave him a little tylenol around 7:30 just to try to get it down a little, and put him in his crib. I checked again around 11:30 to make sure it hadn't gone back up and it was at 102 so I let it go since he was still out and we don't like to give him meds if we don't have to. he slept through until this morning and it was around 100 when I checked on him, so we kept him home from daycare. my wife called to tell me he woke up at 8:30 and has been running around and playing and the fever is just gone, which is good.

also I think I'm out for this cycle. I've been feeling like I was going to start for the last 3 days, and I was spotting a little this morning. I still haven't actually started, but I'm 99% sure it's over. so, more injectables and hoping for a better result next time. sigh.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"