Special Needs

Question for parents of children with corpus callosum issues

Hi,

Does your child have issues with bilateral coordination (esp. if each hand has to do a different thing), hand-eye corrdination, or visual processing issues?  My son (hypoplasia of the cc) sometimes has problems with tasks that require judging distance or spatial relationships (like when he first learned to stack blocks, he would often put the second block on the edge of the first). Also (and I don't know whether this is just a function of his age), he has problems with copying certain ASL signs (some of the signs he does are kind of off; for example, instead of doing please by circling 1 hand on his chest, he kind of brushes his shoulders with both hands).

What types of issues do your children have, and what therapies address the issues?  Also, who diagnosed a visual processing disorder (a therapist, or did you see some type of doctor)?

Thanks,

Melissa

Re: Question for parents of children with corpus callosum issues

• Nate is not stacking blocks yet.

His ASL signs are a bit off too, but I think I read somewhere that most kids don't get them correct and eventually their fine motor will catch up. You just need to keep modeling the correct sign back at him. However, I have noticed Nate's signs getting a bit more refined. More and Clean look different now where a couple of months ago they were just claps. He does apple on the side of his head instead of at his cheek. All Done is just a toss of both hands to the side. He doesn't twist and flap them correctly yet.

I think both Please and Sorry would be kind of hard to do. It reminds me of the "tap your head and rub your tummy" thing. Especially since your hand is doing one thing (being open or in a fist) while then also making a circle on your chest. It is a lot to coordinate. (ETA-I had a Senior Moment when I originally replied and describe the sign for 'please' as the sign for 'sorry'-I still think both signs are harder to do) ;P

I am just so happy that Nate is communicating! I am more worried about getting him walking. He seems really off balance. I am hoping once that last gross motor skill is acheived that he will start getting his fine motor in gear, get the speech going and start calling me Mama. I can't wait. Is Owen talking at all yet?

I am not sure who woudl dx visual processing. I would think you may have to be older to be able to describe or react to a stimulus (?)

Again, I am just so pleased so far with how he is doing compared to what kind of child we thought we would end up with. I know that he will catch up eventually. It is super hard to be patient.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• I think it's very difficult at this age to really identify the cause of this stuff and you may want to see how Owen develops over time.  The problem with Izzy is she is delayed in fine motor and has hypertonia, so it's difficult to know whether she hasn't figured it out yet, whether she has trouble stacking because her muscles are stiff or because of an eye problem.  She had findings of an underdeveloped optic nerve and optic chiasm on her MRI so we've been to an eye doctor several times and her vision is ok.  She may have an astigmatism which could also contribute if her vision is a little blurry but also our dev ped indicated that vision isn't 100% clear until about age 4 or 5 and the opthamologist doesn't think her astigmatism is bad enough to require correction at this time and it's difficult to measure because it requires her to have drops and then wait a half hour and that makes her a miserable wreck.  In addition, she didn't see evidence of an underdeveloped optic nerve, which would make her eyes shake as they try to focus - so they don't think this is a contributor.  In any case, our OT recommended that we continue to work with Izzy and see how it goes.  I think it's common - especially at a young age to do ASL incorrectly and her OT and teacher have noted that as long as she understands the sign she is making, that is the important thing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"