Babies: 9 - 12 Months

BFing and calorie counting

I was calorie counting (aiming for 1600) and it was working fairly well. Then my supply started to tank. Moved up the cals to 1800 and all has been fine. Except that my weight is staying steady for the most part.

Now that LO is a little over 10 months (and I'm planning on ending bf at 12 mo) I want to go ahead and cut my calories again. Like 1200.

Thoughts? What calorie amount are you aiming for?

I'm being a little selfish, but if I can stick with the 1200 I should be able to meet my goal by LOs birthday (and a week before a wedding that I'm attending).

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: BFing and calorie counting

• Kellymom says not to go below 1500-1800, so I aimed for 1800 when I wanted to lose weight. That plus working out helped me drop some lbs. But, I've heard sometimes your body will hold onto extra weight until you completely wean.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I eat like a horse. I'm way overweight but I've had zero supply issues aside from one or two low days due to stress or not drinking enough. I'm lazy so the only way I diet is a crash diet. I'm not even going to try to diet until he weans.  1200 seems super low to me. Is that's close to the lowest you're supposed to go period, non-BFing, I mean?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • Loading the player...
  • Rather then lowering your cals, try and up your exercise. 1200 cals/day is WAY too low.

After DD was born (before I went back to work) I wanted to lose all the baby weight. I went down to 1800-2000 cals per day as a goal, and ran 3-4 miles every other day. I lost all the weight (around 15-20lbs) in less then 6 weeks. I was also EBF.

imageimage
    Zachary Ryan - 1/13/08 - 6lbs 15oz, 20.5 inches
    Lilia Rose - 5/11/10 - 8lbs 6oz, 21 inches
    imageimage
  • imageStrawberryAlarmClock:
    I eat like a horse. I'm way overweight but I've had zero supply issues aside from one or two low days due to stress or not drinking enough. I'm lazy so the only way I diet is a crash diet. I'm not even going to try to diet until he weans.  1200 seems super low to me. Is that's close to the lowest you're supposed to go period, non-BFing, I mean?

yep, it is. I guess I'm hoping that if it hurts my supply it won't matter much since we'll be weaning soon anyway. Not sure how it'll work out though.

I've never really dieted but I can't lose the weight any other way. I used to be super active but I'm not as much now (the gym isn't an option).

• imageErin&Ryan:

Rather then lowering your cals, try and up your exercise. 1200 cals/day is WAY too low.

After DD was born (before I went back to work) I wanted to lose all the baby weight. I went down to 1800-2000 cals per day as a goal, and ran 3-4 miles every other day. I lost all the weight (around 15-20lbs) in less then 6 weeks. I was also EBF.

it's still cold here and I'm not committed enough to run in snow or even cold rain. I also hate running, so it is hard for me to stick with a running plan-- I had one early on on post-preg. In the gym I love the elliptical and otherwise I love walking and hiking.

excueses, i suppose.  

• I eat what I want, when I want.  I really don't watch calories, I just try not to eat junk all the time.  DH and I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, lean meats and whole grains.  I also do not keep any processed food in our home.  That being said, I will get Chik-fil-a or Chipotle from time to time and I had a milkshake last night.  I just don't want it in my home - too easy to be tempted.

I also run every other day and do yoga, so I am burning calories with exercise.

ETA: I figured I should probably mention that I am in pretty good shape following the above eating/exercise habits.  I was 155 lbs pre-pregnancy, ballooned to an astronomical 210 pounds right before DS was born, and am now down to 134 pounds.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageashnoelle:
    imageErin&Ryan:

Rather then lowering your cals, try and up your exercise. 1200 cals/day is WAY too low.

it's still cold here and I'm not committed enough to run in snow or even cold rain. I also hate running, so it is hard for me to stick with a running plan-- I had one early on on post-preg. In the gym I love the elliptical and otherwise I love walking and hiking.

excueses, i suppose.  

Have you tried C25K or Hal Higdon's 5K plan?  Those might help, but if you really hate running don't push it - you won't keep up with it.  Find something you love - it will be so much easier to stick with it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageashnoelle:
    imageErin&Ryan:

excueses, i suppose.  

What about a workout video?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagetomkat35728:

I eat what I want, when I want.  I really don't watch calories, I just try not to eat junk all the time.  DH and I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, lean meats and whole grains.  I also do not keep any processed food in our home.  That being said, I will get Chik-fil-a or Chipotle from time to time and I had a milkshake last night.  I just don't want it in my home - too easy to be tempted.

ETA: I figured I should probably mention that I am in pretty good shape following the above eating/exercise habits.  I was 155 lbs pre-pregnancy, ballooned to an astronomical 210 pounds right before DS was born, and am now down to 134 pounds.

wow we have very similar numbers. I had gained 10lbs just before pregnancy and was at 160 and went up to 220 i think. I'm at 166 now, and I want to lose 16lbs as my first goal.

Like I said earlier, I've never dieted before. I've never needed to.

I try to eat healthy too. My problems are that I love sweets, SO is a chef (and a chef that loves to cook everything with butter), and SO likes to keep sweets in the house so it's up to my non-existant will power to say no.

I also love yoga but am very much out of the habit. I'd have to start over at foundation level.

• imageashnoelle:
    imagetomkat35728:

I eat what I want, when I want.  I really don't watch calories, I just try not to eat junk all the time.  DH and I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, lean meats and whole grains.  I also do not keep any processed food in our home.  That being said, I will get Chik-fil-a or Chipotle from time to time and I had a milkshake last night.  I just don't want it in my home - too easy to be tempted.

wow we have very similar numbers. I had gained 10lbs just before pregnancy and was at 160 and went up to 220 i think. I'm at 166 now, and I want to lose 16lbs as my first goal.

Like I said earlier, I've never dieted before. I've never needed to.

I try to eat healthy too. My problems are that I love sweets, SO is a chef (and a chef that loves to cook everything with butter), and SO likes to keep sweets in the house so it's up to my non-existant will power to say no.

I also love yoga but am very much out of the habit. I'd have to start over at foundation level.

Hmmm...that is really hard when the sweets are right there.  I would be eating them too!

I would try to amp up the exercise to make up for any extra calories - don't deprive yourself!  You'll binge on those sweets.  Do you have access to a pool - maybe a local Y?  Swimming is great cardio.  That might be something to consider for calorie burning if you aren't into running.

Also, some people hang on to weight when BFing.  My sister and I had babies around the same time and were the EXACT opposite.  I dropped weight really fast, but she seemed to keep hanging on to about 10 extra pounds.  She is starting to wean now and the weight is coming off without changes to her exercise schedule or diet.

• I never lost weight doing 1200, it wasn't enough for my body. There's no way I'd be able to support BFing that way, for sure! I started calorie counting on My Fitness Pal....for my goal they gave me a target intake of 1450 plus I add 300 extra for BFing so 1750 daily. I also eat back any calories I burn working out so most days I eat 2000 or more. I have been losing 1-2 lbs a week consistently, though. It makes sense for me since I lost weight the fastest consuming about 1500-1700 before getting pregnant.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageWildcatPrincess:
    I never lost weight doing 1200, it wasn't enough for my body. There's no way I'd be able to support BFing that way, for sure! I started calorie counting on My Fitness Pal....for my goal they gave me a target intake of 1450 plus I add 300 extra for BFing so 1750 daily. I also eat back any calories I burn working out so most days I eat 2000 or more. I have been losing 1-2 lbs a week consistently, though. It makes sense for me since I lost weight the fastest consuming about 1500-1700 before getting pregnant.

hmm... interesting. I was losing weight doing a similar method. I was working out some in a gym since my old job allowed me to go for free. I would add abck the cals too. I guess I'll take a closer look at lifestyle stuff and see what I can trim and what I can do to increase activity.

• imagetomkat35728:
    imageashnoelle:
    imageErin&Ryan:

excueses, i suppose.  

Have you tried C25K or Hal Higdon's 5K plan?  Those might help, but if you really hate running don't push it - you won't keep up with it.  Find something you love - it will be so much easier to stick with it.

I just checked these out and I'll read over them tonight and see which one I wanna try. I'll give running one more try before I give up on it entirely. Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"