Georgia Babies

daycare situation...WWYD...clicky poll included

We use an in-home daycare and last week the assistant (there are 2 teachers) just up and quit with no notice.

The parent of one of the kids has expressed interest in wanting to be the new assistant. This parent currently manages a store working long hours and weekends and would like to spend more time with their son.

The owner of the daycare emailed the parents to get their thoughts but she is comfortable hiring this parent as the assistant.

The parent is a dad...WWYD? Would you be comfortable with a male working in the daycare? The owner stated in the email that she will be the only one changing diapers. Also, the owner leaves the daycare on MWF to take her daughter to/from pre-school. The male would be alone with the children during this time (not sure what would happen if someone needs a diaper change during this time).

Thanks for your suggestions!

[poll]

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: daycare situation...WWYD...clicky poll included

• I guess I am not sure what your concerns are in relation to the parent being male.  Unless there are are some incidents with this person that you have left out, I don't think the gender of the parent would cause me any special level of concern.
  • we have one male teacher in our daycare.  I was a little concerned when Alec was in his class, but the teacher was and is absolutely wonderful. 

Also in our babysitting co-op, a lot of the dads come over to babysit and I don't have any issues with this (everyone has had background checks done).

I would give the parent the benefit of the doubt provided he is qualified and passes all background checks.  If you have any concerns go with your gut.

• Loading the player...
  • The director of our daycare is male and I have absolutely no issue with him. He interacts with all the classes on a day-to-day basis, even occasionally changing diapers.
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There have not been any incidents with this person that I'm aware of and I do trust the owner and her judgment however I just have an off feeling about it. Maybe it is because the owner already mentioned him not changing diapers.

Also, as far as I know he has no qualifications other than he has a kid and the owner knows him and his family. 

• I would have no concerns with a male daycare provider.  I do have a son but I would have no problems even if I had a daughter.  It actually struck me as odd that the owner said he would not change diapers.  Is this really feasible?  When the owner is not there then no diapers will be changed?  What if it is an emergency or a blowout?  In my opinion, if the owner feels this man is qualified to perform the role of assistant then he should be allowed to change diapers.  That's just my 2 cents, though..
    Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
    my blog
  • imageMrsKLB:
    I would have no concerns with a male daycare provider.  I do have a son but I would have no problems even if I had a daughter.  It actually struck me as odd that the owner said he would not change diapers.  Is this really feasible?  When the owner is not there then no diapers will be changed?  What if it is an emergency or a blowout?  In my opinion, if the owner feels this man is qualified to perform the role of assistant then he should be allowed to change diapers.  That's just my 2 cents, though..

I do agree with the diaper changing part. That's a little weird. If she feels he's qualified to be an assistant, he should be able to change diapers. But other than that, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I feel like the owner is putting unnecessary worries into people's heads by stating that he will not change diapers. That makes it seem like something has happened in the past... I would not feel odd about it at all. I think its cool that the kids would have a male care giver. I would be more concerned whether he has proper credentials to care for kids- then his gender. But this is just my opinion.. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagescarlet115:
    I feel like the owner is putting unnecessary worries into people's heads by stating that he will not change diapers. That makes it seem like something has happened in the past... I would not feel odd about it at all. I think its cool that the kids would have a male care giver. I would be more concerned whether he has proper credentials to care for kids- then his gender. But this is just my opinion.. 

I agree that it the owners approach was off.  I would not be opposed to a male caregiver for my girls but I would be a little skeptical about the situation.  I realize this is completely sexist and judgemental of me but honestly, I don't know very many men that would do as good of a job in a daycare setting as most of the women I know.  That isn't to say this guy isn't great, and that there aren't fully competent men out there.  I just don't know any of them :) 

So I guess my choice would be to give it a chance but start getting a back up plan in place.  I would probably get a back up plan in place regardless if she hires this guy or someone else.  You just never know how change is going to affect your child so I would like to be prepared in case it isn't a good fit for you guys.

• I just don't think it's realistic that 1 or only two teachers at the daycare can change a child's diaper.  Not only is this an issue when the owner is taking her daughter to/from school, but what if she's feeding a child or comforting a child--she has to drop what she's doing to change a diaper? 

I would be concerned about the owner's failure to have thought this through and her willingness to hire someone without daycare experience without first seeking out other options. 

As for a male teacher, there are no male teacher's at Harlie's daycare so I hadn't really thought about it but I don't think I would feel that comfortable about it with a baby girl.  I may feel differently with a little boy.  If that makes me biased, so be it.  A clean background doesn't mean everything.  I was involved in a case involving abuse at a well-known daycare a few years ago and the teacher in question had a clean record.

• The asst. director at our daycare is male and is about to leave... he rocks and I'm so sad to see him leave.  Yes, we thought it was odd at first to see a guy working at daycare but then the more we thought about it, the more we realized that it didn't matter (we both had male teachers in elementary school and had great experiences) Ultimately, we opened our minds enough to realize how cool this guy was and now we see what an awesome impact he has had on Gavin.  Anyway, the fact that its a guy wouldn't bother me.  The comment about him not changing diapers DOES bother me so for that reason alone, I would stay put for a while and see how it goes but also start looking for other/better alternatives in case I decided this one was no longer the right fit. 

• Thank you so much for your thoughts and opinions! I agree with most of you that it didn't seem that odd until she brought up the diaper changing issue.

Also, feel free to label me a sexist but I'm also wondering how long the dad will stick it out. I think this is a much more difficult job than he is envisioning.

I'll keep everyone updated on what we decide and feel free to rec your daycare in the Sandy Plains area.

• One of the assistant directors at P's daycare/preschool is male.  He is awesome and I don't even think he is a Dad.  I just think he likes kids.  (He is a young man, probably early 20s).  I am just not sure why you think a male caretaker would be an issue - except that the director is making a BFD about him changing diapers.
  • i just find it odd she would make an issue of diaper changes. those of us with boys don't balk at female caregivers....
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think it's a cool thing that a guy would be ok with working in a daycare.  He should be able to do diaper changes though.  Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean that I can get away with not doing my job completely.  KWIM?
  • imageMrsKLB:
    I would have no concerns with a male daycare provider.  I do have a son but I would have no problems even if I had a daughter.  It actually struck me as odd that the owner said he would not change diapers.  Is this really feasible?  When the owner is not there then no diapers will be changed?  What if it is an emergency or a blowout?  In my opinion, if the owner feels this man is qualified to perform the role of assistant then he should be allowed to change diapers.  That's just my 2 cents, though..

this but some females feel hairy about it. i guess she thought she'd go ahead and address the genital issue. i personally believe women to be as capable as men of sexual abuses.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"