Special Needs

Genetics can be a funny thing

Part of the genetic study we're doing is testing on us. They are trying to see why some people are not affected at all by their deletion or duplication where others, like Chris, are full on affected.

We chose to test us only and if either DH or I were positive then we'd test the kids. DH has the 16p duplication. Part of me is saddened to know that we did find that this wasn't a new thing (de novo) and that it was inherited but on the other hand we wouldn't have changed anything about how we've done things. I am also relieved that it wasn't me. I know that sounds mean but after MIL was as horrible as she has been about this, I'm glad it wasn't me. DH said he is going to talk to his parents about it instead of not. We originally said we weren't going to share. He wants to share and have his parents tested.DH told me he is wishing it was his mom who is the affected one after how horrible she has been to me. As funny as that sounds I don't think I could wish that one on her.

We're going to have Jon and Matthew tested for this duplication as well. We know some people have minor learning disabilities and others are much more affected by these changes. It is important to me to know if any of the boys have this syndrome as they need the information for family planning.

Re: Genetics can be a funny thing

• Wow, that's hard information no matter who has the duplication.  I think you're smart to have your other boys tested, though - they should know if they have it when they get older and think about kids, and you're right, if there are learning disabilities that can come along with it at least you'll know more about how to help them.

Good luck to you! 

•   i'm sorry you're going through this, but i think it's a very wise thing to get the boys tested.  that will be important information for them to know later down the road if they have the gene, and knowing early on if there's any LD is important so you can get a jump on it.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"