Natural Birth

2 weeks overdue...best approach to induction?

hi everyone.  i am approaching two weeks overdue and need to face the reality of a possible induction. i would like to avoid pitocin and drugs in general and plan to have a med free birth like i did with my daughter.

does anyone have tips on the best way to approach induction if it becomes necessary. i am three to four centimeters and am hoping they can induce by just breaking my water. has anyone tried this approach. 

any tips or advice would be great. in the meantime im crossing my fingers i progress on my own very soon.

...sorry about punctuation and capitalization, my phone is not letting me use them. 

Re: 2 weeks overdue...best approach to induction?

• are you contracting at all? you could try nipple stimulation or sex!
  • What about acupuncture?

• Loading the player...
  • waves of contractions here and there but they fizzle off before they really turn inro anything. trying sex but hasnt helped so far.
  • imagesports965:
    waves of contractions here and there but they fizzle off before they really turn inro anything. trying sex but hasnt helped so far.

Find some stairs, and take wide steps ( like lunges ) up them slowly so you widen your pelvix and allow baby to come down more. Do it a couple of times. Reeeallly focus on widening up down there. Look up pressure points and work on those in between, and most of all, drink a ton of water.

Physically that are some tips to get you ready for birth, reguardless of induction or not, you gotta encourage the baby to move down. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's how I was induced last time.  It worked great coupled with some occasional nipple stimulation early on.  That is how I will choose to be induced this time, as well.  I would much rather be on the clock with an amniotomy than spend any amount of time hooked up to the fetal monitor continuously, as well as an IV.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • what type of provider do you have, MW, CNM or OB?

where are you birthing?  hosp, bc or home.

i would recommend talking to them to see what their protocols are.  have you had a BPP? 

how long would you feel comfortable waiting?

i would reco breast pump, if you have one.  5 mins on each breast for 20 mins, then rest for 30-45 mins and repeat a few times a day. 

also if you are using someone who is comfortable with herbs and homeopathics see what they recommend.  i like to use blue and black cohosh and gelsenium, along with cell salts. 

• oh, i forgot to approach the water breaking idea.  i would strongly discourage you from choosing this option at this point.  well, i guess without knowing more info it is hard to really say what is best.  the reason i would discourage it is:

~ it puts you on a clock to have a baby and increases chances for infection.

~ what is your GBS status?

~ if the baby is too high up it is not recommended due to risk of cord prolapse. 

~ most places will want to monitor you more closely after the water has broken.  more monitoring = more chance for other interventions and c/s. 

• Thanks for all of the responses so far. Here are answers to some of the questions in case it helps:
    -My provider is a regular OB and I will deliver at the hospital. My OB would normally induce at 42 weeks starting with pitocin.
    -I had a BPP today and I don't have the exact score yet but everything looked great and there were no issues.
    -I only feel comfortable waiting until 42 weeks - so we are planning the induction at 42 weeks (which is Monday)
    -GBS negative
    -Currently 3-4 centimeters

Texas77: You mentioned that you'd discourage choosing the option of having my water broken - how would you approach the induction? Would starting with pitocin be a 'safer' option?

Thanks for any advice you all have! I am really torn on this whole idea of being induced... but I feel like I am running out of days! And I don't want to just go along with the doctors recommendation of starting with pitocin if it is not necessary.

• I went two weeks over and finally had to be medically induced.  It doesn't necessarily mean you won't have a med-free (almost) birth.  I tried everything to induce:  acupuncture, sex, pumping (nipple stimulation), and walking.  There was absolutely no progress when I was admitted.  The nurse inserted cervadil at 7pm and I started having contractions a few hours later and gave birth at 11am.  I did not have to have anymore medical intervention besides the cervadil.  I also spent most of my time laboring on a yoga ball.  Maybe that helped the baby get into position. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagecaruso_60:
    I went two weeks over and finally had to be medically induced.  It doesn't necessarily mean you won't have a med-free (almost) birth.  I tried everything to induce:  acupuncture, sex, pumping (nipple stimulation), and walking.  There was absolutely no progress when I was admitted.  The nurse inserted cervadil at 7pm and I started having contractions a few hours later and gave birth at 11am.  I did not have to have anymore medical intervention besides the cervadil.  I also spent most of my time laboring on a yoga ball.  Maybe that helped the baby get into position. 

I'm glad you mentioned cervadil. I will have to ask my dr about this... as she only mentioned pitocin.

• I'm a week overdue and wondering the same question. Have you (or has anyone) tried pumping to induce?
  • imagemlkrsthrnr:
    I'm a week overdue and wondering the same question. Have you (or has anyone) tried pumping to induce?

did you read the responses here?  Lol, it's mentioned above.  I have seen pumping work wonders, I have seen it do nothing.  In general, natural induction methods work when the body is ready to go into labor. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"