School-Aged Children
Options

Follow up to my poll and another question

I know I am being annoying, but this is a big decision for us, and we want to do the best thing for her.  Did your child have a kindergarten readiness test?  I have given several to DD and she has done well on them, yet her preschool suggest keeping her back, mostly because of her ability to write and recognize letters.  They have not tested her.

On the test, she does well in all areas except this area.  I am going to take her to the school she will be going to next year to request an evaluation, as well.  I am curious if others were ask to hold back or not, even if the child does well on the test overall, but has one area that needs improvement?

Re: Follow up to my poll and another question

• Options
    In MN, all kids need to have a childhood screening when they are 4 but they can get this as early as 3.  This really helps the school determine if a child needs anything special to be ready for school, my DD has her IEP this way - we had her tested at 3 and a few months due to her speech delay.  I would really suggest you talk to your school district rather than to your preschool.  I'm not really understanding why the preschool is telling you to hold her back unless there is something big that is a red flag to her being ready - being ready for kindy is not all book smarts (for lack of a better term) but very social and many kids are ready to start educationally but lack the social skills needed.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    DS's preschool didn't provide a readiness test. However, we met with his kindy teacher a few weeks before school started and she asked him a few questions about himself and "quizzed" him to see if he could recognize letters, numbers, colors, etc. but it wasn't formal at all and she met with each student. I think it was more so she could gauge where everyone was at.
    Weigh In #7 -Fat and Sassy Em

Welcome to the dark side
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We didn't have any readiness tests, but the school did a few evaluations to see where he stacked up in the class.  Mostly, they did this for their benefit to try to spread out the kids that did/didn't need extra help.  DS did fine on all of the readiness tests.  His issues have never been academically related.  If her issues are recognizing and writing letters, I'd probably send her.  But, it also depends on who she is going to school with.  if redshirting is popular where you live, sending her could be harmful.  if it's not, then I think she'll be fine.  I think that at 5-7 y/o, there is still a wide range of normal and the gap closes in abilities as they get older.  There are kids reading in DS's class and kids who still don't know all of their ABCs.  But, redshirting isn't too popular at our school and for some kids, this is their first school experience.  They'll all catch up eventually.

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

My DD took the Texas Primary Reading Inventory at the beginning of KG after I had already decided to send with (with her Prek4 teacher's blessing @ the same public school); not sure if that is what you are looking for but:

Beginning of the year:

She did well at :

blending word parts

rhyming

blending phonemes

letter recognition

letter to sound recoginition 

She needed help with:

deleting initial sounds (?)

deleting final sounds (?)

During the middle of the year:  

All was "developed"

DD learned to read a month after K started and just this last 6 weeks moved up to the top reading group.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  I took her to the school she will be attending and talked to them about my concerns.  They felt like they could meet her at her level and if necessary help her with any issues that she may end up having.  They did not feel that with the issues she has, she would have trouble adjusting to being in the classroom.  If she does require additional help by the end of kinder, we will send her to private school for pre-1st, rather than just giving her another year of the same stuff she has already had.  I also talked to a friend who knows DD well who taught Kinder at the same school for many years, she said she would send her, as did my friend who is the Headmaster at a private school and knows DD well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"