High-Risk Pregnancy

WLS=High Risk?

anyone else had WLS, now pregnant and considered high risk?

It appears that this is a common thing because most OBGYNs arent familiar with WLS patients.

I know in my area, the Drs arent so they slap the "high risk" label on post-op women, even tho they are at a much lower risk then they would have been when they were morbidly obese.

Re: WLS=High Risk?

• I have not had WLS but my wife did and she is 4 months out.  I would think they would deem you as high risk because of the amount of calories you are in taking and making sure you get enough for the baby.  My DW was told she had to wait until a year after WLS before trying to conceive.  How far out are you?

You might check out the pregnancy after WLS message boards on obesityhelp.com if you don't find any mommas here.

Melanie 

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • Thank Melanie...I am an avid user/poster on OH.  My name over there is CrazyBeautiful...I'm sure we've run into each other a few times if you post on the "Pregnancy after WLS" board. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • She does not ppost there but i am DW and I do  I am JDUBSKINNY and have avatar of our dog with a tie. 

OB does not work great for me but I will try to add you as a friend and check the Pregnancy after wls board.  

see you there

Jay 

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • I just happen to be lurking and come across this post.  I am 5+ years post op and I have never been labeled high risk.  My first pregnancy I was 3 years out and no problems.  I have been lucky that my OBs have had several patient before me that were post wls and they know the drill.  The only thing different they do for me is give me an extra ultrasound close to 30 weeks to check growth and I don't do the traditional GD test.  As long as the "hight risk" label doesn't affect you, let them call you what ever they want.  I am considered AMA this time because I am 35, it makes no difference to me as long as the quality of care is what I expect it to be, I am fine with it.  

I use to post on OH years ago, the women over there are a great resource.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"