Washington Babies

Who's had their membranes stripped?

And if so, did it hurt like heck?  And also, how long after that did you go into active labor? 

Trying to make a decision for my OB appt tomorrow...

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Who's had their membranes stripped?

• It was more painful than I thought it would be. It hurt and it did start some contractions, but I did not go into labor.
    photo 2d6f681a-40e8-42e5-a771-5a26c7ad29fe_zpsdce5d654.jpg Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Me! Hurt like heck. Was stripped on a Tue afternoon and Isa was born on Thur evening. Not sure if that had anything to do with it though. My water breaking was my first sign.
  • Loading the player...
  • Had mine stripped at 39 weeks.  It was uncomfortable, but I didn't find it too painful honestly.  All it did for me was give me light contractions that evening - they were gone by morning.  And I ended up getting induced at 40w/1d.  So, it was a bust for me.
  • The more I hear/read about it, the less strongly I feel like it will move things along.  I was 3 cm last Wed and my Dr. wanted me to think about doing it this week (baby is big and DS#1 was big and, well, difficult to get out). 

• Just a little uncomfortable for me, and my water broke on the table.  5 hours later I was holding my baby boy. Good Luck! 
    BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • It hurt but it wasn't bad. In the grand scheme of labor and contractions its hardly worth mentioning. I had mine stripped on Monday late afternoon and by 4:00am on Tuesday morning I was having regular contractions so it worked for me.
  • Hurt bad. Then I took my son, his friend and our dog to the beach for 4 hours. Went into labor that night. I am sure the activity helped. Also, I bled a lot. So, if you do it, bring a real pad, not the Dr. office panty liner.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had mine stripped at 41 weeks and went into labor that evening. I didn't think it hurt that bad.
  • Didn't really hurt but also it did nothing for me. I had mine stripped at like 38.5 weeks and again 2 days before M arrived. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I had mine done twice. It hurt some but was more uncomfortable than anything. It didn't really do anything looking back. I still didn't go into active labor on my own and was induced when I was way late.
  • FWIW, my OB said that it's generally much more effective for 2nd time moms.
  • I had mine done twice, hurt pretty badly and didn't do anything for me.  That said, it didn't stop me from going into labor, so I figured it was worth a try : )
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did it 3 times with Baby #1 and nada. It hurt like he!! too! When the Dr said let me know if you can't take anymore...I got worried! Lol. Again, nothing happened.

Then with baby #2, I was going to be induced on Sat and at my appt on Thurs noon, I opted to have it done again. (by the same Dr) I went into labor that night and the baby was born before breakfast!

As Michelle said, my Dr said it is much more effective with baby #2! So....if you are ready...go for it! I thought no way it would do anything since it didn't all 3 times with #1. Little did I know.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I did a couple times with Marin (once at 38.5 weeks and once at 39 weeks), it didn't hurt much more (if any) than a normal cervix check. It didn't put me into labor, but it definitely gave me some contractions for awhile after. Not sure how much it helped overall though!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had it done on my due date with Max. Not comfortable, but not as terrible as I thought it might be. Almost immediately I felt different, kind of crampy and uncomfortable, and my water broke the next morning, Max was born 16 hours after that. I would do it again.
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • I had it done with Jillian and regretted it ever since.  It send me into sort of a pseudo labor where I was having painful contractions but not really progressing very steadily.  Ultimately I ended up with a c section.

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

• I think it depends on the doctor who does them.  My doctor was very gentle, and to be honest I've had internals that hurt worse (by other doctors). 

Funny story...  Before my 39 week appt, my husband was talking to his boss about the baby and his boss thought that I would go late.  Then I had my membranes stripped at that appt, husband went back to work and told his boss (who is a man) that!!!  His boss then said I would have the baby three days later.  Sure enough, Court came 3 days after having my membranes stripped.

Really though, I would prefer my husband to not talk to his male boss about my girly parts.

• I had mine stripped at 38 weeks with Mia.  It hurt, but nothing compared to contractions and labor.  It also didn't help me go into labor.  I think if your body is ready, it will do it on it's own. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had it done at my 39 week appointment, it hurt, but worth it - I wanted that baby OUT! But I also have a very high pain tolerance. At that point I was 3cm dilated and 50% effaced.

I bled, had cramps and back pain following and 12 hours later I was in active labor - 5 hours after that, I was holding my baby.
  • I had mine stripped too.  It didn't do anything but it did hurt.  I ended up having a foley balloon put in and was induced with pitocin. 
    Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
  • Thanks everyone!  I have a lot to think about.  I wonder if it makes any difference how dialated you are, etc.  My dr. is pretty cool about things, so I'm bringing DH to the appt and we'll talk to her about it and how effective she thinks it might be.  As much as I'm not one to mess with mother nature's timeline, I am ready for this little boy to meet the world. 

With DS#1 my first sign of labor was my water breaking. I went 2 days shy of 40 weeks with DS#1 and that labor and delivery was not pleaant (when is it?) - but my Dr. is hoping to avoid some of the complications I had the first time. 

Thanks again and wish me luck!  :)

• I went into labor the next day. It was one week ahead of my due date.  It definitely hurt more than I thought.
    image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hurts! But it was worth it because I was so tired of being pregnant. Only takes a minute or two but not horrible.

I was cm and they stretched me to 4 during the stripping.. I started contracting right away and thought I was in labor (this was a Monday). DH came home from work, started getting things ready. But nothing happened :o( On Thursday I woke up to leaking fluid and didnt have contractions all day. at 8pm I went to be checked at the birth center and I was already 6cm. I believe I did dilate a bit on Monday with all those contractions but I wasn't quite ready to go into active labor. I also wonder if my annoying MIL stalled labor because she was driving me crazy!!!!! To finish the story, I went back home at 6cm and woke at 330am with contractions, got to BC at 430am and she was born at 6am. So while the membrane stripping didn't start labor, I believed it helped :o)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"