Adoption
Options

Hi! New To Adoption and I have many questions

Hi everyone!

We are now pursuing domestic adoption.  We are 44 and 45 respectively.  I want to know which agencies work with older couples and how everyone decided on whether to go privately or through an agency.  Where do I start?  I thought going to a seminar or something like that would be helpful for us but where to start?  We live in Long Island, NY.  I had a really great conversation with an attorney who gave me the 411 in a general way but feel I need to know more and DH has no knowledge right now.

Thanks

Re: Hi! New To Adoption and I have many questions

• Options

Welcome!

We chose to work with an agency because I was clueless on where and how to start and about the whole process in general. I just did a google search for agencies in my area. I contacted about 8 agencies and requested information and asked about requirements (length of marriage, etc - age could be one) . We reviewed all the packets and narrowed it to 2. I then called the two agencies and asked a long list of questions I had compiled.

Some agencies have introduction seminars for prospective adoptive parents, which you could find out from contacting the different agencies.

Also, the FAQ link at the top of this board has some great starter information.

Good Luck to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Welcome, I also live on Long Island. We went to an info session with one agency a few weeks ago and really liked them. I have one more to go to in a few weeks before we make the final decision, but most likely will be going with the first agency. I also took out a bunch of books from the library on adoption and bought the book adoption for dummies which was helpful.

Jenn

image 3 IUI's all BFN

IVF#1 BFN IVF#2 BFP, loss at 19 weeks FET#1 BFN IVF#3 BFP, m/c FET#2 BFN

Missing our twins Zachary and Madison, lost at 19 weeks on 11/13/09, edd 4/9/10

BFP 7/17/10, m/c 7/25/10, edd 3/25/11

Ectopic, lost left tube 4/20/11, edd 12/6/11

my blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"