Trying to Get Pregnant

*Update on me (saw doc today) (long and ventish)*

2»

Re: *Update on me (saw doc today) (long and ventish)*

• image*blue*flower*:

*I appologize in advance for any major typos, I think my laptop keyboard might be dieing because it has been skipping letters I have typed a lot the last 2 days!* 

I am so sorry!  After comparing my medical care from our previous base, which was 100% on base, to my current medical care that is 100% off base I have decided that the military clinics and their policies/SOAPs on Tricare are complete BS!  Seriously, getting a referral (for anything, not just fertility related) with my civilian provider is a BREEZE!  If there is ANY way you can change to an off base provider I would do it in a heartbeat.  I too dealt with ridiculously long appointment wait times, refusal for referrals (I had SEVERE eczema that was so painful it kept me up at night and they told me they could not refer me to a Dermatologist until I had been treated without relief by my PCM 10 time!  So not acceptable in my book, but I didn't think to voice my complaint the time), and very littleface time with the Dr when I did get an appointment.  I never felt like my Dr cared at all.  I always felt I was just the "next patient they had to rush back out the door because their schedule was already overfilled for the day so here is some 800mg Motrin see ya later."  If I can avoid it, I hope to never have to be seen by a base provider again.

I currently have Tricare Prime remote, we live far enough away from the base for myself and our daughter to be seen off base.  Poor DH still has to be seen on base and his appointment wait time and dealing with emergent issues are really bad sometimes.

I can tell you Tricare definitely does cover early testing before the 12 month mark when there are problems with your cycles that are documented.  I was able to get a referal from my civilian PCM for a RE after having 7 months of anovulatory cycles and some really heavy/long periods.  I am telling you this only because what they are telling you at the base clinic is BS!  You do not HAVE to have been trying for 12 months before getting a referral IF you have problems that can be documented.  For me, I just showed my Dr. my anovulatory charts (which she barely glanced, she took my word on it and was more concerned with wanting to get me the care I needed) and she knew about the bleeding already and the referral lady was able to get my Tricare referral approved that same day! 

Please go into the Tricare office and talk to them about their policy for referrals.  I would also be calling Patient Advocacy to complain about the poor treatment from your PCM.  So many people don't think or know to call and complain with Patient Advocacy and I think that is a major reason for the horrible care *some* military Dr's "provide." 

I hope you can get a referral soon, and I am so sorry about your bad experience! 

I cant not thank you enough for taking the time to respond to this! I feel like Ive learned so much that I didnt know. I think Ill try going up to Tricare after my U/S and seeing what they say about it. If they tell me they will let me go with documented problems then I might just try to get Women's Health doc to take a look at my charts and hopefully they will be more understanding of the situation and give me a referral.

Seriously, thank you so much. 

Also, I know tricare covers initial testing, but after that point do you have any idea what they cover:? Meds? Consults post testing? I assume they dont cover the IUI and IVF procedures but do they cover any or all of the meds that go with them? Thanks so much again girl for your input. I really appreciate it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so glad you saw the reply!  Seeing a civilian PCM has really opened my eyes to how locked down the SOAPs at the miliary clinics are with "Tricare Policies."  Since you are having the bloodwork and u/s results reviewed and explained to you by a Women's Health Dr I would definitely take my charts in with me at that appointment and request the RE referral there.  They might be more understanding with the anovulatory cycles and shrt LP.

As far as what Tricare covers, they cover 100% up to IVF.  So they will cover your consultation appointment, follo-up appointments (my initial authorization is for1 initial consultation and 3 inpatient follow-up appointments), diagnostic tests, IUIs and I believe most/all of your meds (if the base pharmacy doesn't have them, which they probably won't, you can do the mail order service or an off base pharmacy.) your .  I get a lot of my Rx's filled off base and just have to pay a $3-$8 copay at Walgreen's.  Tricare does cover IUI's as well.  They do not cover IVF, BUT there are several military clinics that do offer IVF.  The wait time to get in can be long and there is only a few locations.  I cannot remember all of them off the top of my head, but I know one location is in San Diego and another is in San Antonio.

OK, I just googled and the other two military IVF clinics are Tripler in Hawaii and Walter Reed in Washington D.C.  But the interesting thing that popped up in my google search was that there is a local IVF clinic near me that gives a significant discount on their IVF prices for military families (I am assuming that there are practices nation wide that do the same thing.) 

After almost 3 years of IF and a crazy roadside delivery, we are loving life with our second beautiful daughter! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • P.S.  Congrats on your DH's recent homecoming!  My DH got deployment orders literally while I was AT my initial RE consultation appoitment.  I am doing my testing while he is gone right now and he will have his SA whenever he gets home.  I am pretty confident the problem is mine since I have been anovulatory since I started charting, so I hope we can get my issues resolved before he gets home so we can give another try right away!

After almost 3 years of IF and a crazy roadside delivery, we are loving life with our second beautiful daughter! Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• image*blue*flower*:

I'm so glad you saw the reply!  Seeing a civilian PCM has really opened my eyes to how locked down the SOAPs at the miliary clinics are with "Tricare Policies."  Since you are having the bloodwork and u/s results reviewed and explained to you by a Women's Health Dr I would definitely take my charts in with me at that appointment and request the RE referral there.  They might be more understanding with the anovulatory cycles and shrt LP.

That is what I am hoping. Im definitely going to give it a try in any case.

As far as what Tricare covers, they cover 100% up to IVF.  So they will cover your consultation appointment, follo-up appointments (my initial authorization is for1 initial consultation and 3 inpatient follow-up appointments), diagnostic tests, IUIs and I believe most/all of your meds (if the base pharmacy doesn't have them, which they probably won't, you can do the mail order service or an off base pharmacy.) your .  I get a lot of my Rx's filled off base and just have to pay a $3-$8 copay at Walgreen's.  Tricare does cover IUI's as well.  They do not cover IVF, BUT there are several military clinics that do offer IVF.  The wait time to get in can be long and there is only a few locations.  I cannot remember all of them off the top of my head, but I know one location is in San Diego and another is in San Antonio.

I am SOOO glad to hear this!!! I wasnt sure what they did or didnt cover. I knew they covered more IF treatment then most insurances, but hearing this makes me a bit less irritated with the poor medical treatment Ive received lately. Also in the hopefully unlikely case that I will need IVF, we are assuming we will be stationed back in San Antonio (close by anyhow) within the next year. I do know that Brooks Army Medical Center does IVF procedures so that would be awesome.  This information is exactly what ive been looking for and unable to find so thankyouthankyouthankyou!

OK, I just googled and the other two military IVF clinics are Tripler in Hawaii and Walter Reed in Washington D.C.  But the interesting thing that popped up in my google search was that there is a local IVF clinic near me that gives a significant discount on their IVF prices for military families (I am assuming that there are practices nation wide that do the same thing.)

So awesome that they would give us a discount for that! Again, hopefully we wont have to go there but the option is nice to have.

Thank you again girl! I really appreciate all your knowledge and input. I feel like a weight has been lifted haha.Im sorry about YH's recent deployment:( Im assuming that by the time we get finished with testing and actually get in for an apt with an RE MH will be gone again so Ill be testing without him as well. I hope things turn out well for you soon and you guys are able to get KU very quickly as soon as he gets home! Please keep me updated. It's been nice getting to 'know' you better!

I know how lonely deployments are especially when you have to put TTC on hold for them. Let me know if you ever need to vent!

• I am so happy the information helped and was able to take a weight off.  I know how stressful it all is, and I know how relived I was when I found the info on what exactly Tricare is willing to cover if it got to that point. 

Deployments can suck for sure.  When I found out it was just extra emotional impact on my less than great RE consult.  We will be PCSing at the end of the year as well, thankfully we will be close to one of the IVF clinics if it comes down to that which is definitely a relief.  DH and I had vaguely discussed plans if we got all the wa to that stage of treatment, and being closer to one of the military clinics is a plus. 

Are you heading to Randolph?  You said San Antonioish area so that and Lackland  are the first bases that pop into my head.  That was DH's first base.  I had a great time visiting him out there over the few years he was there.

• image*blue*flower*:

I am so happy the information helped and was able to take a weight off.  I know how stressful it all is, and I know how relived I was when I found the info on what exactly Tricare is willing to cover if it got to that point. 

Deployments can suck for sure.  When I found out it was just extra emotional impact on my less than great RE consult.  We will be PCSing at the end of the year as well, thankfully we will be close to one of the IVF clinics if it comes down to that which is definitely a relief.  DH and I had vaguely discussed plans if we got all the wa to that stage of treatment, and being closer to one of the military clinics is a plus. 

Are you heading to Randolph?  You said San Antonioish area so that and Lackland  are the first bases that pop into my head.  That was DH's first base.  I had a great time visiting him out there over the few years he was there.

Im glad youll be close to an IVF clinic as well though I certainly hope it doesnt get to that.

We would potentially be headed to Laughlin AFB in Del Rio for a year long stint of training, but it's up in the air still so Im not totally sure, but we WERE stationed at Randolph AFB for about a year and a half for MH's training. We LOVED it there! I wish we could go back to SA but idk if that will be in the cards for us in the future. I think the closest we will get is Del Rio.

Thank you again for helping me out! I hope all works out for both of us!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"