Military Families
Options

Thoughts needed ladies....

Hello  :)

I know I've got a while, but the SO will be home around the due date of our daughter and he has to go back overseas for another few months after she is born.  I wanted to get him something that will remind him of her and I when he leaves again... something maybe he can keep with him or keep on him?  I know he's going to have an even harder time saying goodbye this time around.  (I would give it to him in the hospital.  All things considered....hopefully she waits until Daddy gets home) 

Any thoughts/ideas or what you ladies may have gotten for daddy?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thoughts needed ladies....

• Options
    My base offers something where you can take in a picture and have it put on a pillow case or you could make a scrap book or even a dvd with a lot of pictures.

• Options
    I am in the excact same situation as you and to be honest I havent even thought of something like that yetEmbarrassed but it is really nice and maybe I should give DH something as well. So spill it out ladies :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mom bought my husband and I each a tiny keychain that store pictures and plays them in a slideshow. It's cute and small and you can dowload pictures right on it from your computer and change them at any time. Just a thought. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemunchkin513:
    My mom bought my husband and I each a tiny keychain that store pictures and plays them in a slideshow. It's cute and small and you can dowload pictures right on it from your computer and change them at any time. Just a thought. :)

This is such a good idea!  

I bought my husband a St Christopher's medal and had it engraved on the back.  It says "Papa, stay safe for me"

It might not be everyone's style, but he loved it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPhotobucket
  • Options
    Thanks! I love the St. Christopher medal idea. I think I will do that for his next deployment. Did you have it put on a chain or did you just give him the medal?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemunchkin513:
    Thanks! I love the St. Christopher medal idea. I think I will do that for his next deployment. Did you have it put on a chain or did you just give him the medal?

I put it on a chain, or he'd lose it haha!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPhotobucket
  • Options

Some things we did for our daughter when we would be gone for extended periods of time (we were dual military):

Record parent reading stories, play them at night before bed. Have picture of parent nearby and reinforce voice to photo.
    Stuffed creature that the parent sleeps with so that the scnet is ingrained in the toy, place it nearby (attached to cribworks) so baby can smell parent.  As an infant, a "Mommy Bear" works well because it has a strap to attach it plus it has the in-utero box inside, dual purpose!

Some things that we did for each other:
    Photos (nothing HUGE) Because it goes in your PC, boonie cap, Kevlar or inside pocket close to your heart. It keeps you going regardless of what is going on around you, pulling it out, seeing the two people you love the most in this world...gives you strength to keep moving.  Laminate it so that it doesn't get destroyed by elements...or tears.
    Recorded letters or just daily events, kind of like an e-blog I guess. My husband said that just hearing my voice or me and our daughter talk to him like he was with us made his days bearable and his nights lonely.  I felt the same way when I would plug the little tape into my mini-recorder and plug in my headphones. I know that she is going to be a newborn, but they coo and giggle and maybe when you are feeding her, just record it and talk about what you are doing, what you did that day, what she did that day...it helps you feel like you are sharing with him and he is not so behind when he gets home.
    The photo pillows and bears are a good idea as well, I have seen others do it but we never did. IDK why, we just didn't. 

Good luck to all three of you. It is hard from all aspects.  Believe me, I have been on both sides.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"