North Carolina Babies

Do you think he has dropped a feeding?

I am not sure if this is really happening or if he is going through a growth spurt.

Up until the past few weeks Andrew had a pretty predictable schedule that I told DH not to get used to, bc it will change to fast on us if we get too comfy. But anyway it was to bed at 9, feed at 12, 3, and then 6 and so on.

Now it seems he eats a little earlier btwn 7:30 and 8, stays up until about 9 and then isnt up until 1:30/2. Then he is back up normally btwn 4 and 5. He usually goes back to sleep at the 4 to 5 feeding and I snooze for a little longer and then we get up to get ready for work.

We now have to wake him up to get him dressed for DC etc and we kind of like this right now bc he doesnt eat again until we get him to DC. So that shaves 30 minutes off of us getting ready thus letting us sleep a little longer.

So I am just wondering do you think he has dropped that midnight feeding, or am I just thinking into it too much? There are a couple of times he has gotten up at 12 and only drank like 1oz and DH says he just falls right back to sleep. So now I am wondering if i give that another month of test and then just try to soothe him back to sleep instead of feeding since he really isnt eating and we just "think" he is hungry bc he is up but shows no signs.

I mean if I really look at the pattern it is honestly only getting up once a night since I am due to get up with in an hr anyway.....I know it is not STTN but I am just not sure if I can consider that he dropped a feeding....he always seems to make up for it somewhere. Wink

If you got this far you are brave I am really rambling this morning, prob time to get back in the bed...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you think he has dropped a feeding?

• We started having a similar situation where he would nurse for like 2 min and go back to sleep, so we just started going in & putting his paci back in and that usually put him right back to sleep. Then w/in a few days he wasn't waking up at all during that part of the night - yay!

Enjoy it while it lasts b/c you never know when they will pick up a nighttime feeding again (like what happened to us this week).

• I'd say that for the time being, he may have shifted his feedings around so that he's not eating in the middle of the night.  But like you and BackthePack said, it can change at any time.  Nate used to STTN back when he was AT's age, but he stopped around 3-4 months (and he rarely STTN now). 

I will say that 5 hours is considered STTN for a baby, so AT is technically STTN.  :)

• Loading the player...
  • Sounds like he could have.  I hope it sticks.  Natalie had dropped her midnight/1 a.m. feeding a few weeks ago but picked it back up recently.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sounds like it to me.  The idea is they start trying to eat more during the day and less at night, and it sounds like maybe he's trying to do that.  It's always a little shady when they start dropping a feeding, I still have trouble with it.  I would start offering him a paci instead of a bottle and just see if it works.  How much does he weigh now?  I'm sure you've heard of the magical 12 lb, and it was actually kinda true for us.

• Yeah it is sounding shady to me too. The only thing is we have offered him more oz but he doesnt seem to eat it he just eats more often like exactly every 2 hrs during the day instead of every 3 or 4 but still eats the 4 oz.

I have no idea what he weighs now I think it was close to 10 lbs several weeks ago but we go to the pedi next week so I should know more then. I would say he may be 10 or a little more he has really filled out lately.

• That 12 lb thing always makes me giggle.  DS was 12 pounds at like 3 weeks or a month. 
  • Yay, sounds like he may have dropped it! Maddie went from getting up at 10,12, 2, 4 and 6 to only 2 and 6...then a week later she went to just getting up at 4, and then went back to getting up at 2 and 6. The last couple nights she's only gotten up at 6 though, so my fingers are crossed!

I've heard the 12 lb thing too, and that's why I was so surprised that Maddie sleeps so well already. Maybe once she hits 12lbs she'll be sleeping 12 hours Stick out tongue. I just count myself lucky that she only wakes up when she's hungry and she always goes right back to sleep.

• Eli does the same thing.  He never eats more, he just eats more often.  It is frustrating, since you're hoping to be able to feed him less often.  Even now Eli still eats formula every 3 hours, and he also gets 2 or 3 solid meals a day.  So the kid's just constanly eating!  Supposedly at around 12 lb is when they can start sleeping through the night.  Which ended up being true for us, but Eli was 4.5 months.

• Sounds like he may have dropped a feeding! Yay! Avery dropped a feeding at 6-7 weeks old and began STTN. I don't know about eating more since I BF, but she eats more frequently during the day-like on the dot every 2 hrs. But I can take that vs getting up all night! Since then, she's spaced out her night feedings more to 9 hrs! So she goes down around 10-11, up at 8am.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"