Preemies

Weight Gain issues...

Both girls have been home for over a month (sophia for 2) and they are having issues with weight gain the past 2 weeks. We have switched to straight Neosure 22 cal for Sophia and Ella has always done 22 cal but special recipe to make it 28. I am terrified at every little bump and concern. Anyone had issues with this?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Weight Gain issues...

• Yup, we did. DD was born at 34 weeks at 3lb12oz, so she was already considered IUGR. After birth, she was doing fine, but then my BM supply tanked and we didn't fully realize it...once we figured it out, we put her on Enfagrow mixed to 24-26, and she was on that until her first birthday. Once we got her on it, she stopped falling away from the curve, but she has always, and likely will always be, tiny. We just went in for her 18mos appt today and she is finally on the weight chart in the 3rd percentile and 20lbs. Unfortunately, once you're doing the extra-cal formula, there isn't much else you can do. Some kids are just small! FWIW, DD doesn't care in the least how tiny she is, sometimes she has to work a little harder, but she just does it :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • My girls were born @ 32weeks 1 day... did fine in the NICU with feeding tubes (they were 4.5lbs @ birth), once home stopped gaining weight and had a lot of difficulty with bottle feeding. We have had many a pedi visit to discuss weight gain, and there was some talk of using feeding tubes at home to help them gain. 

They are nearly 7 months now. We continue to fortify their breast milk with formula to boost the calories. We have found that they have a super hard time with any bottles or nipples other than the ones we used in the NICU Iwe buy disposable bottles and nipples on Ebay, and reuse them until they wear out). We have also noticed a bit of improvement as we increase their reflux medication.

I spent a lot of time obsessing over their weights. We rented a scale to use at home, and I pretty much drove myself insane with worrying.

Good luck to you and your little ones!

Daisypath imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I should mention they are about 11.5 lbs at nearly 7 months.
    Daisypath imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"