Baby Showers
Options

XP:Big Sister Celebration

My best friend is having her second baby and it's another girl. Her first is my god daughter and I wanted to do something special for her and because I didn't get to participate in the first shower (she only wanted one and had seven hostesses already!)

I offered the idea of a "Big Sister Celebration" for her DD, who will be three in August, and she liked it. But now I'm stuck. WTF do I do now? I'm thinking a tea/lunch but not sure what else to do. Maybe a baby that she can practice/pretend to diaper and feed? Or stuff that she can do that the baby can't? I asked my friend for her guest list so I can have a better idea there. I'm thinking it's mostly ladies with a couple of her DD's friends, but not many children, so I'm stuck on ideas for activities.

Has anyone done this before? Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: XP:Big Sister Celebration

• Options
    I have never heard of such a thing. It sounds like a gift grab, especially since you mentioned a "guest list"  - it it were a very small get together of friends, that would be one thing, but this just sounds kind of ridiculous.
  • Options

I think it's really sweet of you to want to do something for the big sister, but it opens a whole new can of worms. Where does it end? Eventually, you're going to end up with Half-Uncle's Poker Night and Third Cousin's Twice Removed Wine Tastings.

Besides, you don't want to set the older child up for a wicked sense of entitlement. Maybe you can just do a little tea party, a Big Sister shirt, and make sure she knows how very loved she is and how special she is.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagedanilynn17:
    I have never heard of such a thing. It sounds like a gift grab, especially since you mentioned a "guest list"  - it it were a very small get together of friends, that would be one thing, but this just sounds kind of ridiculous.

Actually, it's the opposite of a gift grab. We are even including "no gifts please" on the invite. My point was that I didn't know the number of people she wanted to invite, and if there were going to be more than 2-3 little girls attending. Since there won't be gifts, there isn't that to have as an activity. That's why I was trying to figure out something else to do. 

imagebobmonkey:

I think it's really sweet of you to want to do something for the big sister, but it opens a whole new can of worms. Where does it end? Eventually, you're going to end up with Half-Uncle's Poker Night and Third Cousin's Twice Removed Wine Tastings.

Besides, you don't want to set the older child up for a wicked sense of entitlement. Maybe you can just do a little tea party, a Big Sister shirt, and make sure she knows how very loved she is and how special she is.

Both of those concerns seem a little extreme. The point was not to make it a gift grab (since it is a second daughter and seems unnecessary) but to still celebrate the new baby and include the older one and honor her new role.

All I was looking for was some ideas of games and/or activity ideas. Any help there would be welcome.

• Options

I did something similar when my SIL was due with my 2nd niece.  Super small and no gifts as well.  I had a cute little princess-y tiara (plastic) for my niece.  I made sure to have coloring books and crayons and told the few kids to have at the coloring books.  SIL used a few of them for the scrapbook.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for.  GL!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think this is a hard one, to be honest.  If you are inviting mom's friends, then it's really not a big sis celebration.  If it's a child's party then games that are played at birthday parties would be appropriate, but then I kind of see what bobmonkey was saying, this is creating a sense of entitlement.  The celebration is in the new life, here, not in the oldest being the big one.  The oldest has been celebrated all of her life and now it's time to turn over the baby-reigns so to speak.

I think that it might be more appropriate to do a party in mom's honor to celebrate the new life.  It doesn't need to be a shower.  Part of the new life party (or luncheon) could also be honoring the big sis's new role - but I wouldn't make that the theme.  Games pertaining to being a mentor could be fun to watch her play.

Other ideas include: they could draw pictures of who they think her little sis will be.  Arts and crafts things to make things for sister.  They could do a pin the tale on the belly type of game.  There's also the dirty diaper game - put peanut butter in a diaper and fold it back up.  Put enough diapers (clean and the one dirty one) for each guest in a bag and let each guest choose a diaper.  Whoever has the dirty diaper wins a prize. 

Overall, it really should be a luncheon for mom to celebrate with her friends.

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Can't you just take the big sister-to-be out to a playground or something?  I'm thoroughly confused about what you're trying to do.
  • Options
    imageSareBear30:

imagedanilynn17:

Actually, it's the opposite of a gift grab. We are even including "no gifts please" on the invite. My point was that I didn't know the number of people she wanted to invite, and if there were going to be more than 2-3 little girls attending. Since there won't be gifts, there isn't that to have as an activity. That's why I was trying to figure out something else to do. 

imagebobmonkey:

Both of those concerns seem a little extreme. The point was not to make it a gift grab (since it is a second daughter and seems unnecessary) but to still celebrate the new baby and include the older one and honor her new role.

All I was looking for was some ideas of games and/or activity ideas. Any help there would be welcome.

I based my answer on your OP. Not knowing the extent of your plans was why I said what I did. It doesn't change my opinion though. I would still go with a tea party or a nice lunch, and just celebrate with togetherness.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageRoxyLynn:
    Can't you just take the big sister-to-be out to a playground or something?  .

I agree, it seems like you are mixing events which is why I think it is hard for you to come up with what to do.  I think you should just spend a special day with your goddaughter and call it good.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"