Adoption

How to find a pediatrician

Since getting a call this morning, I realized that I need to get a move-on on this.

I am usually not this inept, but I feel overwhelmed and it probably is just this situation doing it as I usually take my time.  But, I need to get on this so any help would be most helpful.  I am gathering a list now of peds on our plan, but without a situation (if that is the case today) or known DOB, is that something I should concern myself with?  Are there any good questions I should be asking in the interview (given they complete one?)?

TIA!

*Tef*

Re: How to find a pediatrician

• Pediatricians are use to have new parent consults with pregnant families.  Your consult should be no different.  Most offices will schedule the appt for you.  You need to go armed with questions.  Things that you may want to ask about would be how they cover after hour calls, philosophy of such things are vaccines, breast feeding, parenting styles, etc.  Figure out what's important to you.  You can google a list of questions that will help you prepare for your visits.

An additional question I would ask is if the ped is open to a phone consult should you get a potential placement or have a baby born with some sort of complications.  For example, if you thought the birth mom was clean but the baby is born exposed to drugs, will the ped walk you through the process and help you understand what's going on. 

Lastly, ask friends and family, coworkers, even FB friends, who they like in your area. 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • I'd ask for recommendations from someone in your area. We ended up just sticking with our family practice (who we got from a local rec when we first moved here) because he sees a lot of kids and was open to looking at our profile key and discussing medical/drug exposure issues at any time.

Questions you might want to ask are where they stand on certain issues that are important to you, whether that be CIO, BLW, attachment parenting, co-sleeping, etc. If you're into co-sleeping and your pedi is going to give you grief about it at every visit, it's not a good match.

GL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"