D.C. Area Babies

vomiting/diarrhea with ear infection?

Has your LO ever had those kind of symptoms with an ear infection? J has been cranky and coughing a lot lately (and not eating) - same symptoms as his last ear infection. Then last night, he had diarrhea, and he's had it a couple of times today.

We took him to the doctor, who confirmed the ear infection and thought the stomach issues were related. Then tonight, he threw up (a LOT - so glad I wasn't around!). 

Does this seem normal? Last time he didn't have any tummy issues, and this seems weird (although he honestly seems pretty happy now aside from the health problems  . . .). Ugh. I'm worried.

P.S. Sorry for the totally gross post.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: vomiting/diarrhea with ear infection?

• could it be a stomach bug? the best thing you can do is keep him hydrated but no milk (leads to tummy issues), if he won't take 'no' for an answer with milk, buy Lactaid, it's the lactose that causes stomach issues. 

hope he feels better soon!

• I would think mild stomach issue first.  If he has a productive cough and is not eating it may be the phlegm in his stomach making him sick.  He obviously feels better now!  I wouldn't worry too much.  Like the pp said, keep him hydrated, see if you can't get something easy in his stomach, toast, banana, etc.    
  • Loading the player...
  • I ditto hollace; I think he probably had a bunch of phlegm in his stomach that is no longer a problem. Hopefully he is 100% soon!
  • My kids have had a ton of ear infections and never had vomiting and diarrhea due to the ears.  I suppose he could get sick from extra phlegm getting in the tummy... but it seems like it would have to be a LOT of phlegm.  Stomach bug is my guess.
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • With DS's ear infection a couple weeks ago, the coughing got so bad he started throwing up phlegm, and wasn't able to keep anything else down. We went to the pedi and he had a nebulizer treatment in the office. We treated him for the next week for the breathing issues. So far, he's better, but we have to keep an eye on him every time he gets a runny nose now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • There are so many bugs flying around these days, it's hard to tell.

B had strep/pneumonia recently and because of his previous reflux issues, has no issue coughing so much to the point of vomiting. Yuck.

imageimage
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Blargh. Thanks for the responses, everyone. It looks like it was just a 24-hour stomach bug - he seemed fine this morning (and hungry!) with no gross stomach issues, so fingers crossed he'll be fine since we sent him to daycare.

And sofka - good tip about the lactose causing tummy problems! We only give J Lactaid anyway because he has some lactose intolerance, but good to know for the future.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"