Preemies
Options

Making progress with feedings!

My 31 weeker is now 36 weeks adjusted and has just started making progress with eating. He is now taking every other feed by bottle! But he just gets too tired to take everything by bottle, so we are alternating between the gavage feeds. Please tell me its not too much longer now?! I am so anxious to take him home and I feel like we have been working on feeding forever, even though I know it really hasn't been that long.
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Making progress with feedings!

• Options
    That is so exciting! It won't be long now! Once my guys started taking their feedings from the bottle it was only a matter of days. At our NICU they had to do all bottle feedings for 48 hours in order to be discharged. It only took them a couple of days to get there. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Unfortunatly this is one thing that you just can not rush them on.  They just wake up and get it one day.  Ella was 30w5d and did not get rid of her gavage tube until about 38 weeks.   She was slow at everything though.  I hope you get home soon.  The last month for me was the hardest.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! I have a feeling it will be a little while longer, because it did take a while for LO to get to where he is, and it seems he has stalled at this point for the past few days. He has also been having occasional desats when he bottle feeds. But hopefully he progresses quickly from here.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I hope it's not long!!!

Unfortunately for us it was.  He was doing pretty well eating but wasn't progressing.  They finally figured out it was due to silent reflux and he came home 3 weeks after his due date.  I'm only telling you because I totally had my hopes up that he'd be home way sooner than that :( 

T&P!

• Options

When Nolan got like this - I brought in my own bottles (Dr. Browns preemie ones that I had planned on using at home) our NICU bottles sucked & wore him out. Upon switching bottles he went up on his bottle feeds from 50% to 75% to 100% it was pretty outstanding. I do credit this to switching bottles.

I hope your LO one continues on a good path & comes home soon! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"