Oregon Babies

What to pack for the hospital?

I'm going to be delivering at St. Vincent's in the next few weeks, and was wondering if any of you ladies had any suggestions for what to take with us. The list on The Bump isn't really that helpful as it basically says everything will get ruined that I wear anyway.

Any tips for general items or that might be specifically nice to have at St. V's would be appreciated!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What to pack for the hospital?

• I ended up having a c-section, so nothing I had got ruined.  Things that I would suggest:

- your own pillow(s) and one for DH

- change of clothes for DH

- high protien snacks for DH (we were at the hospital from 3 am until my c section at 8 pm and I would not have been too excited about DH leaving to get something to eat)

- newborn outfit and a 0-3 outfit for baby...DD was 6lbs 3 oz, but only 5 lbs 9 oz when we left the hospital - DH had to go home and get another outfit b/c the one we brought was huge

- boppy or breast friend pillow if you plan on BF (I have both and totally prefer the breast friend)

Those were the main things I was really glad to have - I am sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now! 

• I had a c-section at StV's...here's what I brought:

Video and digital camera & chargers/extra batteries, phone & charger, book, iPod, dvds (they have players in the rooms) a robe, a nightgown, my bathroom stuff (shampoo/cond, soap, brush etc) clothes for me to go home in, thick socks (the hospital ones annoy me because they cut off in a weird place) change of clothes for DH, Boppy pillow, go home outfit for DD, make up remover wipes (I couldn't get out of bed for a day so it was nice to use them since I couldn't get to the sink) toothbrush, tooth paste, laptop (my DH used it).

I think that's it. I can't remember anything else. Good luck with your delivery! Hope it goes very smooth for you. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • One thing I wouldn't have thought to bring is moist feminine wipes.  A friend told me she took them & I think it's a great idea; much more comfortable than toilet paper.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I recommend taking your own pads with you, like the Always long overnights with wings, unless you are okay wearing their huge diaper pads. Also, I brought some cheap full butt underwear from Target to wear in the hospital because their meshy ones I didn't like in the least bit. Slippers are a necessity as well as a bathrobe. (I had a c-section so I was in there for 5 days) Comfy clothes for you if you don't want to wear a hospital gown, I brought some loose sweats and a nursing tank. I suppose a lot of what you take depends on how long you are staying...don't forget the camera!! Snack for DH is a good idea, as well as a change of clothes for him too. Take a CD with you if you want some music to listen to. Some people use it as a focus while in labor. Anyway, that's off the top of my head. Hope some of that helps.
  • I say less is more with this one! I totally agree with big ol' granny panties because the mesh ones really are not ideal. Comfy clothes like yoga pants and a sweatshirt is what I wore for the two days. I was out of the hospital gown asap. You feel especially ugly in that thing when visitors are around. A thin robe is good for when you do have to wear the gown prior to birth. 2 different sizes of clothes for baby. Mini shampoo/conditioner/soap/loofah. We brought our camera and video camera but the doctor told us we couldnt use either. We took pics anyways but she was super strict with not using the video cam. Slippers and a change of close for DH as well as toiletries for him. BRING YOUR OWN BABY WIPES!!! They give you these awful paper towel type things to get wet for the baby. They suck, just use your own wipes. I would also pack in a bag with extra space, or bring an extra duffle bag because you accumulate alot of extras, so it's easier to carry out.
  • I would just add to bring a breast pump if you have one.  I have heard it can help your labor if you aren't progressing (the nipple stimulation releases hormones)  and it can be helpful afterwards if you get engorged like I did with my first.  I didn't have it with me, but wished I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"