Houston Babies

Lead testing

Have you tested your children? 

I was reading an article in the NYT that says that the AAP recommends that children be tested at least twice before age 2. I reviewed the AAP policy and it says that "Most US children are at sufficient risk that they should have their blood lead concentration measured at least once"  https://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/pediatrics;116/4/1036

My pediatrician has never mentioned this. Have you had your children tested? Should I talk to my pediatrician about this or am I worrying too much?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Lead testing

• No I have never tested her.  My pediatrician asked me if I had any concerns about lead and I said I didn't.  We live in a newer home so I wasn't concerned with lead paint in the home.
  • Our pedi does a full blood work at 12 months to test for lead exposure, anemia, and other things.  That's the only testing she has done in the past 4 years.  But every year, we are required to fill out a survey about lead (how old is our house, anyone in the family work related to so and so, etc..) and also TB. 

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Loading the player...
  • We had talk to Ds's pedi at his 12 month and she said for this area, it's rather pointless. The buildings and houses for the majority are less than 20 years old so there shouldn't be any exposure to lead. She was more that willing to have Ds tested if we wanted, but she didn't see the need.

Now places where the homes are older or if you have given LO hand me down toys that were your or older like that and were painted, yeah, it may be a good idea as well as painted toys from China in particular. I don't think those of us in this area really have to worry. now if we were back in PA, we would definitely have him tested. Our house was over 100 years old and my mom's house was built in '65 and ILs are in an old farmhouse, so the risk is much greater there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRaeAnt:

I don't think those of us in this area really have to worry. now if we were back in PA, we would definitely have him tested. Our house was over 100 years old and my mom's house was built in '65 and ILs are in an old farmhouse, so the risk is much greater there.

I totally agree.  I have a friend who bought an old farmhouse in Massachusetts last year.  Her two youngest children both ended up with lead poisoning.  How they bought the house without thinking to test for lead, I will never know.  (And these are not dumb people-- He's in his second year of medical residency and she's in law school.) 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • We haven't had it done and we live in a 1960's house and just moved from a 1950's house.  However, we don't let our kids lick the base boards Big Smile.  All the old paint is sealed under layers of fresh paint.  Our pedi isn't concerned. 

I do know a family that got lead poisoning from plates..  All their meals were served on pottery with lead in it and they had NO idea.

• imagebpaullo:

I do know a family that got lead poisoning from plates..  All their meals were served on pottery with lead in it and they had NO idea.

In fact, lead in pottery was what got me started reading about lead testing in children. 

This article in the NYT,  talks about how the pretty colors and designs found in some pottery are due to lead 

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/health/29ceramics.html?scp=4&sq=lead&st=cse 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"