South Florida Babies

infant swim instructor recs

Hi girls,

I want to set up some swimming (survival skills) lessons for Elise at our house during summer vacation.  A coworker mentioned that she gives lessons.  However, others told me not to count on her =(

Do you have any recs?  I would prefer someone that comes to our house and I could get a small group of friends with their babies so the instructor would have a group.  (If anyone is interested in joining us, let me know.)

TIA

Re: infant swim instructor recs

• We'd come :)

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • AlbahAlbah member
    We would love to join in as well! No recs though...interested to see what others say! 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Nadia learned to swim last year with Little Swimmers. We'll be using them again this summer. They are great & I believe they'll come to your home.
  • imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

Hi girls,

I want to set up some swimming (survival skills) lessons for Elise at our house during summer vacation.  A coworker mentioned that she gives lessons.  However, others told me not to count on her =(

Do you have any recs?  I would prefer someone that comes to our house and I could get a small group of friends with their babies so the instructor would have a group.  (If anyone is interested in joining us, let me know.)

TIA

i don't know if my girls would be too old, but count us in if they ok it!  

• Wow!  I see we have a lot of people interested, but not enough recs.  The same thing happened when I spoke with some mommy friends.  I have a few more interested, but none have any recs. 

Mari, thx for the rec.  I like that the Little Swimmers offers a Mommy and Me Class.  I'll call and see if they do in-home classes.

Jen, according to my coworker, the age difference is not such a big deal but the experience in the water is.  She wouldn't mind taking toddlers with babies if the toddlers are at the same level with regards to the water.

Here's my dilemma with my coworker:  She said she would charge $20 per baby per week for a 45 min lesson with a minimum of 3 babies.  Sounds great!  However, when I did a little research, what I would really like my baby to learn to do is to float on her back and breathe (survival skills).  Here's a video:  https://www.infantaquatics.com/infant-survival-swim-videos.htm 

My coworker told me this would take several months and what she would do is just get the babies comfortable in the water (from what she described, it would be more like a mommy and me class).  The other problem is that the places/people I spoke to that offer the infant self-rescue techniques charge about $150 per week and the classes are 10-15 min daily from Monday through Friday.  The course would be 4-6 weeks depending on how fast the baby acquires the skill.  You're looking at $1,000!

After seeing the videos, DH is convinced that we need to enroll Elise in these types of classes.  I agree as well, but the price is a little steep!  After he did the math, he's not sure what to do either.  Also, in this scenario, you do not participate.  The instructor teaches the child the technique and you can watch, but the child cannot see you.  I assume there would be a lot of crying in the beginning. 

So, as you can see, now I don't know what to do.  Do I just get a little group together with my coworker as the instructor and just look at it as a fun class?  Or, do I invest the money in the self-rescue techniques? 

FYI, we have a pool AND a canal in our backyard so you can see why I would prefer the self-rescue techniques. 

What do you think?

• Abby and Sarah have experience in the water... but just by holding on to us!  lol  

We want to do little swimmers this year (the one Mari did with nadia.)  We were supposed to put Abby in last summer, but we had some money issues, so we couldn't afford it.  This summer we're making it a priority since my mom and sister both have pools and I want to feel safe when we go visit! 

• I did little swimmers for 3 weeks last summer. It was $130 a week (teacher price- ask about it). This summer I'm putting her in for atleast 5-6 weeks if I can work it in my schedule this summer. She did learn to swim. Each week she got stronger & stronger & they started working on new skills (falling in, diving for something, flipping on back, etc). I've got YouTube videos you can see. There was a lot Of crying on week 1, but it's for their own good. It's 5, 30 minute sessions a week one on one with the parent out of sight.
  • That didn't work. I'll email you. I think I still have your email from the playdate.
  • I know of a lady that goes to houses!! But I have the info at home lol. I'll give it to you later. I'm planning on putting Abraham in lessons this summer as well, but the kid is scared of the water so we have big issues lol.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrs.ClariC:
    I know of a lady that goes to houses!! But I have the info at home lol. I'll give it to you later. I'm planning on putting Abraham in lessons this summer as well, but the kid is scared of the water so we have big issues lol.

Let me know b/c so far Little Swimmers seems like the best option.  The in-home classes I've looked into are super expensive.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"