Indiana Babies

Possibly moving to Indy

Hello!  My DH is being recruited for a job in Indianapolis.  We currently live in Grand Rapids, MI.  We are currently weighing the pros and cons of moving.  It looks like you guys get about half as much snow as we get, so that's a plus.  I've heard Indy is a very fun town with lots to do.  Please share with me some other great things about your town.  Also, what suburbs/school districts are nice?  I am a dietitian at a large hospital and would like to transition to another large teaching hospital.  What are some of the larger, more renowned hospitals in the area so I can start looking for jobs?  Thanks a ton!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Possibly moving to Indy

• Hi! I'm also a transplant to Indy and love it here!

Towns: Carmel (North), Zionsville (NW), Avon (W), Brownsburg (W) Noblesville (NE), Fishers (NE)

Hospitals: St. Vincent, IU Med, Methodist, Riley and maybe another one or two that I'm forgetting.

GL!

• I agree with the areas listed above. The good neighborhoods/school districts are on the north/northeast side and far west side. If you are looking for a great teaching school it would be one part of IU Health (iuhealth.org). Wishard and some of the Community Hospitals also collaborate with the local schools.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello and welcome! I'm originally from southern Indiana but love living in Indy. I'm a physician in the middle of my residency through the Indiana University School of Medicine. The IUSoM is associated with IU Health (formerly Clarian) which is the biggest health network in Indy and comprises several hospital downtown and in the suburbs including Methodist, Riley Hospital for Children, University Hospital, Wishard, and the outlying IU hospitals. St. Vincent is also considered a teaching hospital and has residency programs as well. The other to major networks in town are St. Francis and Community (both with multiple locations), although they are not teaching-focused.

I've loved living here both as a single person, a married child-free person, and now as a parent. We have great professional and amateur teams (Colts, Pacers, Indians, Butler Bulldogs), lots of parks (Eagle Creek, Fort Benjamin Harrison, Garfield, etc), great museums (Indianapolis Museum of Art, the Eiteljorg, one of the world's best children's museums, NCAA, etc.), lots of community festivals/celebrations (ethnic, brewers, etc), concerts both indoor and out (Murat Centre aka Old National Center, the Lawn at White River, Deer Creek aka Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, the Palladium) - just to name a few of my favorite things about the city. There are several "niche" districs throughout the city, each with their own character - the Canal district, Mass Ave, Fountain Square, Irvington, Meridian Kessler, Broad Ripple (college-town type area) just to name a few. We really enjoy living downtown but a lot of people will recommend moving to one of the suburbs on the northside like Carmel, Fishers, or Zionsville - they each have their own charm as well and the schools in the suburbs seem to be great overall. The Indianapolis public schools in general leave much to be desired but there are several charter schools (even in our own neighborhood) that we will not hesitate to send our kids to.

We'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have. Hope you will stick around our board if you end up in Indy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have lived in Carmel my whole life.  I truly love it here.  The schools are great, we have wonderful parks, and there is lot to do while still being close to the city. It really is a family based area.

I am not much help as far as hospitals.  Around the Carmel area there is Clarian North, St. Vincents Carmel and 86th, and Community North.

Good luck!  Oh, and I LOVE the name Hudson:)

• imagebarrett08:

Oh, and I LOVE the name Hudson:)

Ditto - it was on our short list :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I love living on the north side of Indy - Noblesville, Carmel, Fishers. The communities keep growing, schools are great and the community feel, especially in nice weather is so welcoming. I didn't grow up here and have no desire to live in any other area of Indiana. There are a lot of big health systems around Indy, however they seem to be going through a merge and many hospitals are now either IU Health or St. Vincents.

We do get lots of snow but the weather is still random here. I had flip flops and a tank top on one day this week and then a vest and boots today. :-) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you so much girls!  You have been so helpful.  DH has his phone interview today and we told my parents last night. They are being super supportive even though we all hate the idea of being so far away from each other.  It sounds like IU is similar to Spectrum Health in GR.  They are buying up all the little hospitals and medical groups in the area, which doesn't matter much to me.  Marleysmom or anyone else, does IU have a daycare that you know of?  We currently use our hospital's daycare/preschool and love the proximity to work, etc.  Also, if we found a house in one of these northern suburbs that you suggested, how far of a drive would it be to downtown assuming that's where most of the hospitals are located.  Lastly, what would you say a fairly new, 4-5 bedroom house would cost in one of these suburbs? TIA!
  • I don't think that IU health is buying up little hospitals, they just changed the name from Clarian network to IU Health since they were already affiliated with Indiana University Medical Center and it was a more recognized name.  I believe that some of the IU locations have daycare on-site, but it will depend on the location.  Pretty much any suburb to downtown Indy can be 15-30 minutes away, depending on traffic.  Carmel and Zionsville will be your more expensive suburbs, but you can still find some reasonably priced homes depending on what you are looking for.  I think my parents bought their home in Carmel for $159,000 a few years ago...2 story, 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, large fenced in yard, and that was considered a steal.  Relative to other states, Indy is actually pretty cheap to purchase a home.  Noblesville is a little further out, but it's also an up and coming town.  I live there for about a year, and really enjoyed it.  Right now I live in Lebanon, but if I had the chance I would move somewhere else.  DH grew up here and has all of his family here, and we moved into his family's home.  If we didn't do that we wouldn't live here by choice.  

Good luck to your DH on the interview, and happy house hunting! 

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DH is from EGR. We love GR and EGR but the activities available to families in Indy are far more prevalent than in GR. Carmel is similar to EGR, minus the older homes factor. There's a lot of newer neighborhoods there, but school wise it is top notch. Also, IU Health system is definitely like Spectrum Health, probably better since it is tied with the IU School of Medicine. My husband is in med school so we bought a house closer to town in Washington Township school district, which is also a great school district if you want to live closer to downtown. The best elementary schools in the district are Allisonville Elementary and Crooked Creek. The commute from the suburbs can get fairly long when traffic is bad. Good luck!
  • imageBeetleLinz1125:

I don't think that IU health is buying up little hospitals, they just changed the name from Clarian network to IU Health since they were already affiliated with Indiana University Medical Center and it was a more recognized name.  I believe that some of the IU locations have daycare on-site, but it will depend on the location.  Pretty much any suburb to downtown Indy can be 15-30 minutes away, depending on traffic.  Carmel and Zionsville will be your more expensive suburbs, but you can still find some reasonably priced homes depending on what you are looking for.  I think my parents bought their home in Carmel for $159,000 a few years ago...2 story, 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, large fenced in yard, and that was considered a steal.  Relative to other states, Indy is actually pretty cheap to purchase a home.  Noblesville is a little further out, but it's also an up and coming town.  I live there for about a year, and really enjoyed it.  Right now I live in Lebanon, but if I had the chance I would move somewhere else.  DH grew up here and has all of his family here, and we moved into his family's home.  If we didn't do that we wouldn't live here by choice.  

Good luck to your DH on the interview, and happy house hunting! 

Wow, that's a great price!  The cost of living is relatively inexpensive in GR, so I'm glad we're considering moving somewhere of equal caliber.  DH is driving down for an interview with HR on Tuesday, so we will see!  AND, his office would be on the north side of town, so it really couldn't be more perfect.  All the signs are encouraging us that this is the right decision for us.  Thanks! 

• imagekelclay724:
    My DH is from EGR. We love GR and EGR but the activities available to families in Indy are far more prevalent than in GR. Carmel is similar to EGR, minus the older homes factor. There's a lot of newer neighborhoods there, but school wise it is top notch. Also, IU Health system is definitely like Spectrum Health, probably better since it is tied with the IU School of Medicine. My husband is in med school so we bought a house closer to town in Washington Township school district, which is also a great school district if you want to live closer to downtown. The best elementary schools in the district are Allisonville Elementary and Crooked Creek. The commute from the suburbs can get fairly long when traffic is bad. Good luck!

No way, that is hilarious!  Does he think the weather is significantly better in Indy?  That is what I'm most looking forward to. What year did he graduate from EGR?  Ask him if he knows Elizabeth Baio.  She's one of the closest friends.  We love the EGR community, but not the home prices or property taxes (or lack of back yards).  Hopefully Carmel is not quite as expensive as this is looking like the closest suburb to DH's prospective office building.  Of course, we are open to all the nice suburbs but Carmel really is sounding very nice.  Thank you so much for your input! 

• imagekelclay724:
    My DH is from EGR. We love GR and EGR but the activities available to families in Indy are far more prevalent than in GR. Carmel is similar to EGR, minus the older homes factor. There's a lot of newer neighborhoods there, but school wise it is top notch. Also, IU Health system is definitely like Spectrum Health, probably better since it is tied with the IU School of Medicine. My husband is in med school so we bought a house closer to town in Washington Township school district, which is also a great school district if you want to live closer to downtown. The best elementary schools in the district are Allisonville Elementary and Crooked Creek. The commute from the suburbs can get fairly long when traffic is bad. Good luck!

Oh, and what district are these elementary schools in? 

• If you want to check out house prices/areas go to www.mibor.com.  You can search by townships within the counties. 
  • He graduated from EGR in 2004, I'll definitely ask him!

Those elementary schools are in Washington Township. Washington Twnp. is basically like a U and covers both the northwest and northeast sides of town. We live maybe 5-10 minutes from downtown depending on traffic and still live in Washington Township schools. Here's a map:  https://www.msdwt.k12.in.us/about/elem.html

• imagekelclay724:

He graduated from EGR in 2004, I'll definitely ask him!

Those elementary schools are in Washington Township. Washington Twnp. is basically like a U and covers both the northwest and northeast sides of town. We live maybe 5-10 minutes from downtown depending on traffic and still live in Washington Township schools. Here's a map:  https://www.msdwt.k12.in.us/about/elem.html

Thanks!  I think Liz is a little older than that, but maybe he knows of her.  =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"