Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

RP: ? about pg and depression

Do you know of anybody who was diagnosed with depression during pregnancy? I don't have any previous experience with depression, but think that what I am experiencing may be more than just PG hormones. Just curious. Thanks.

Re: RP: ? about pg and depression

• Options
    No but I know of people that had issues before that carried over into pg.  I would talk to your dr.
  • Options

I had ppd after dd was born (I had a bad case of pree and then bf'ing problems and it was just a crazy period of time)... then when I got pregnant with ds, I started seeing spots as early as 14 wks... stoped me in my tracks, spots where I couldn't respond to dh and I was just frozen for a couple of very long seconds.  the nurse practitioner thought I was just being anxious over my past pree pregnancy and told me "it is not preeclampsia" .  Pree was the only time I had experienced anything like that... but I was thinking maybe migraines (had she only let me ask my question)... anyhoo... so as the pregnancy progressed I got more and more anxious even though I felt good aside from these episodes... so they put me on prozac.  didn't help b/c I do think it was pregnancy related and I did end up with labile pressures and probably pree again (they didn't do the labs, just induced labor).  I didn't have ppd afterwards... stayed on prozac for the first 2 months pp. 

if you think it's more than just pregnancy hormones, speak up.  they can get you into a therapist or offer meds considered safe in the second half of pregnancy.  don't torture yourself by not saying anything.  I didn't accept meds when my dd (1st baby) was 4 wks old... I had ppd for over 6 months pp and was just miserable.  I had moved and by the time I got a gyn here, she said she wouldn't prescribe anything b/c I was breastfeeding (which there are meds okay for when bf'ing)  I wish I could have enjoyed that time more.  but shoulda, woulda, coulda.  

good luck.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I treat pregnant women all the time for depression.  Definately talk to your OB and ask for a referral to a psychiatrist.
  • Options
    thanks everyone. It's just tought because I've never had any issues like this. It's definitely more than just PG hormones because I never went through anything like this with my first pregnancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"