San Diego Babies

Are Sharp Mary Birch or Scripps La Jolla worth a switch?

This is my husband and my first baby, we are due in September.  I am currently going to an OBGYN whom I really, really like (Dr. Kamali) but I think he only delivers in Chula Vista. We've done hospital tours of Scripps La Jolla, Sharp Mary Birch and Sharp Chula Vista (where my dr. delivers).  I really preffered what SLJ and SMB had to offer patients such as their rooms (more are private and the ones that are not give enough space between patients areas of the room), the little extra amenities such as SMB had birthing balls in the rooms for patients (you dont need to bring your own), and the #1 thing that mattered to me is that SLJ and SMB keep their vaginal birth patients 48hrs / C-section patients 72 hrs, where as SCV only keeps you 24hrs for vag. birth / 48 hrs. for C-section.  The staff at SCV was very nice and very accomodating to us on our tour and where very honest with us and explained that since they service all of southbay San Diego and have a  lot of patients from Mexico that they have to shorten the stay in order to service the number of patients.  As a "first time mom" I don't want to feel rushed on my hospital stay, especially since I don't know what to expect as far as how I will feel, etc.  But as I first stated, I really, really like my doctor and don't know if I should switch in order to go to a hospital I prefer!?  Any help/suggestions? Thank you! 

Re: Are Sharp Mary Birch or Scripps La Jolla worth a switch?

• Will your doctor actually be the one to deliver your baby at SCV? If not, then I would say it is worth the switch since most of the time it is not your doctor who does the actual delivery.

I delivered at SMB last August and had a wonderful experience!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, it was my first baby and I thought it was important to have my doctor deliver my baby but in the end it really doesn't matter. It is the nurses who are with you the entire time...so make sure you like them. The doctor just checks periodically towards the end of labor and is there to catch the baby. At least that was my experience. HTH
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered my last at UCSD Hillcrest and loved it and this time will be delivering at Kiaser-Zion. And personally I would see abotu switching. I think those hospital times are way to short.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree that you don't want to be rushed on your hopsital stay. If your doc isn't the one who will deliver your baby I would agree you should see about switching. I delivered at Scripps La Jolla in June and had a great experience.
  • I had my DD at SLJ via c/s and loved it. They took great care of us and the nursing staff was so helpful. Almost all of the nurses I had were also LC which is great if you want to BF.
  • i delivered 3 of my kids at smb, the first one was an attempt at natural, but turned into a c section, the other two were scheduled c sections.

i love smb, it was always quiet, the nurses were great, the room were comfortable and i didn't feel rushed at all. they took great care of me with all my c sections and the nurses did a lot to make sure that i was up and walking around so i could get home.

if i were still living in sd, i'd be going back to smb for my 4th baby. without a doubt, i would switch from chula vista to smb.

• I love SLJ, it is a really great hospital and the rooms/nurses/doctors are great. It is hard to know who is going to be your doctor on the day you go into labor, so it is really important to love the facility and nurses.
  • imagenewmommytobe081610:
    Also, it was my first baby and I thought it was important to have my doctor deliver my baby but in the end it really doesn't matter. It is the nurses who are with you the entire time...so make sure you like them. The doctor just checks periodically towards the end of labor and is there to catch the baby. At least that was my experience. HTH

This!

I'm a little late to this thread, but thought it was important to let you know my thoughts on SCV... 2 things about their nurses. My mom has worked there for about 20 years, not as a nurse, but she interacts with them a lot.  From her experience... they're not nice.  Just, plain, not nice.  One of my best friends did a rotation there in nursing school, and she has horror stories of how unfriendly they were.  Maybe they just save up their "nice" for their patients, but for some reason I doubt it...

FWIW, I had a great experience at SMB!

• I agree with the first response about the delivery process. Most facilities have a rotation (and also delivered at SMB in August), and you never know when you'll be delivering. If that's the case, it's worth it to switch. My experience was great-so much that my father raves about the care our family received! My cousin delivered at Scripps LJ and she said it was great, except for the fact the doctor that delivered. She had a birth plan that explicitly stated not to cut for the epiziotomy unless it was medically necessary. All the nurses that had assisted and the desk had this plan. The doc that was there at time of delivery is one that is semi-retired and does rotation once in a blue moon. He came in and performed it without consulting anyone. Needless to say, that was very disturbing to her.  
  • I delivered at SLJ and loved it.  The nurses were extremely nice and supportive.  Just as the first poster noted, the doctor really only catches the baby so feeling comfortable with the staff is hugely important.  I would also recommend switching.  I can't image having gone home 24 hours after delivering...
    Aubrey's Mom
  • Scripps La Jolla is where I am delivering in September and am so thrilled with this hospital.  I have had many friends deliver there, the rooms are wonderful, nurses are wonderful and would not deliver anywhere else
  • I am an RN an had my labor and delivery rotation at SMB and loved it. The person that said that most of your time in the hospital will be spent with the nursing staff is right, all the nurses I cam across during those weeks were great with their patients. I will be delivering at SMB, this will be my first baby as well. I think it's very important to feel comfortable in the place where you will be delivering.  Good luck with your decision.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"