Military Families
Options

I miss America! Vent

I have been living in Germany since October 2010 and I thought it was going to be awesome, having visited Europe about 4 years ago. It was for about 10 minutes. The only good thing seems to be that the "water" is different and I finally got pregnant! I miss my family, the food back home, the option to shop in a nice place, friendly people, and English! My hubby is 1/2 German, and knows the language and I've been learning for the past 5 years but these people are plain rude. It makes me not want to interact with them at all, and the funny thing is even hubby is thinking that way after we got a nasty letter from the phone company. They do certain things so different here and I knew it would be, but sometimes it's just ridiculous.There are a few occasions where I've said, "why don't we do that in the states?"  My trashy neighbor doesn't make it easy either. Our biggest mistake was moving from a city to a 3-street town, like we had any real choice what with the housing issue. I love being a military spouse, and knew I might have to move, etc. one day but I'd almost chose living nextdoor to the IL's than live here! I really just wish we could have stayed in America, where I could have craved the foods I am used to and actually gotten them! This is really just a vent and if you feel the need to be nasty in your comments go somewhere else. Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I miss America! Vent

• Options
    I have a food recommendation- check out Netgrocer.com. They were fantastic while I was deployed, and you may be able to find some of the things you are looking for.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that you absolutely dont like Germany. I am German and I know how different and also rude we sometimes seem to Americans. It?s just the culture clash and there is a reason why I like the American mentality much better than the German one sometimes. How much longer you have left here and where are you at if I may ask? Oh and congrats on your pregnancy.Big Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I understand where you're coming from. We lived in Germany for 5.5 years and near the end got very tired of it but all in all we had a very good experience. That said, my husband did want to torch the Deutsche Telekom building before we left. Even Germans hate that company so please don't let that experience taint your time over there. My best advice is to look at your location as a springboard for all the other great places you can visit. Germany is so centrally located that you can go just about anywhere from there. Can I ask what part of Germany you live in? Look into Ryanair and see all the fantastic places they fly for cheap. Lastly, please don't think that all Germans are rude and nasty. I met some very nice people there and still keep in touch with some. You will,of course, run into some craptastic people but you do that here too. Sometimes the people that run into Soldiers frequently get a bad taste because how awful some (certainly not all or even a majority) can act. Basically, your time there is what you make of it and how you react to situations. If you're bound to not let it get you down, then it won't. Good luck!
  • Options

imageArmyQM:
    I understand where you're coming from. We lived in Germany for 5.5 years and near the end got very tired of it but all in all we had a very good experience. That said, my husband did want to torch the Deutsche Telekom building before we left. Even Germans hate that company so please don't let that experience taint your time over there. My best advice is to look at your location as a springboard for all the other great places you can visit. Germany is so centrally located that you can go just about anywhere from there. Can I ask what part of Germany you live in? Look into Ryanair and see all the fantastic places they fly for cheap. Lastly, please don't think that all Germans are rude and nasty. I met some very nice people there and still keep in touch with some. You will,of course, run into some craptastic people but you do that here too. Sometimes the people that run into Soldiers frequently get a bad taste because how awful some (certainly not all or even a majority) can act. Basically, your time there is what you make of it and how you react to situations. If you're bound to not let it get you down, then it won't. Good luck!

That is so true lol This company sucks!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!image
  • Options
    I totally understand.  We've been in Okinawa since Sept 2008.  I can not wait to get out of here.  I miss America SO much.  We were supposed to leave this coming Sept but bc of the baby coming, we were able to get a curtailment and are on our way out soon.  I never ever want to move away from America ever again!
  • Options
    jb2rnjb2rn member
    wow, really? we worked hard to get orders to Germany and are excited to PCS there in June!
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I actually didn't want to see if anyone replied b/c I was expecting a lot of "get over it, you married into the military." My feelings have a lot to do with being pregnant for the first time, having to do it in another country, and the weather! I know it's not fair to judge a whole people, but the people on this street, in this town all talk badly about each other! My neighbor is nasty b/c she smokes like a chimney right outside my open window, and left her Halloween pumpkin out to rot in the back (it's basically an orange and black puddle now). Telekom was a problem b/c of the house phone but we got over it, until H got said letter telling us we need to learn to manage our money so we can pay them for his cell phone, yet have never received a bill or they take the money out of the bank way too late. We live near Ramstein, and were told that this IS the rural part of the country, so be sure to get out and about. I've looked into Ryan Air and it seems like a really good deal, and will have to try it out sometime. I really don't like feeling so homesick and hating where I live, I want to make the best of it, but sometimes it feels like I was dropped in the middle of nowhere. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I mostly lurk here, but I'm living with my parents who are stationed in Germany, in Gielenkirchen.

When I first moved here, I sort of felt the same way, it's pretty rural, and I spent a lot of time at home. Is there any activities you can join? I joined a parents group, I go to the gym, I just really work at keeping myself busy.

My situation is different since I'm moving back to Canada this summer, and I was only here temporarily, but it did get better.

• Options
    I know what you mean. I've lived in Italy since December 08.. We don't leave til 2012.. Blah.. While I LOVE being able to travel... I hate how limited we are to certian things.
  • Options

I can totally relate.  We PCSed to Italy in May 2010 and the culture shock has been epic!  I had totally romanticized what living in Italy was going to be like.  But the reality is not at all like the movies!  And "Eat Pray Love" is full of crap.  When Julia Roberts meets Sophie in Rome and Sophie is practically fluent after just being there 6 weeks and navigates the culture like a pro - WHATEVER lol.  I've been here nearly a year and we live on the economy and I'm still learning the language and still have days where I get nervous navigating the culture (not to mention navigating the roads - Italians drive like insane people)!

I do however agree with the pp who said your overseas tour is what you make of it.  If you try to have a good attitude and accept that things are different - not wrong, just different - it'll really help.  And the travel opportunities really are one of the best perks!  We've been to Germany, Rome, England, and Scotland already and are taking a babymoon to Prague at the end of May!  There are definite benefits - try to focus on those more than focusing on the things your missing (like Target!  Oh man, when we visited family in the States for New Year's, I walked into Target and it was just plain glorious).  And stock up on a handful of great cookbooks that focus on American cuisine - they can really help when you get a hankering for a juicy, restaurant quality burger (this is so important here in Italy because they don't have anything but Italian restaurants and pizzerias - you can't just go out for a burger, and even if you could, the dinner hour in Italy starts at 8.  So our son is in bed before any restaurants are open for dinner anyway)! 

• Options

I completely understand where you are coming from, but want to assure you that it gets better.  I left AD in December 2009, and followed my husband to Grafenwohr - now, THIS is the rural part of Germany.  I am still in the Reserves, and am attached to Ramstein.  I got pregnant in January 2010, and between the weather, the hormones, our crappy little German house, and trying to adjust to not working anymore, I was miserable.  Unfortunately, I miscarried in March, so I didn't have to go through the entire pregnancy, and was able to take some time to learn to love where I live.

I am now 10 wks 1 day pregnant again, and have a much different outlook.  However, I crave lots of things from home . . . it's NEVER schnitzel!  I know it's hard because I've been in the same position, but it will get better.  It takes a while to get comfortable being out and about on your own.  Just try to keep in the back of your mind that this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and you'll regret it later if you don't take advantage now.  I have to remind myself of that still.  Ramstein is so close to so many wonderful places to tour, and if you really get out and explore, you'll find some great food.  Start planning some short trips so that you have something to look forward to and get excited about.  Paris is only a short train ride away!

Good luck!  I hope you settle in, and learn to like where you are even if you can't love it.  I promise it gets better.

Melissa 

• Options

OMG, I would totally switch places with you right now if I could. Wink

DH and I have been living in the US for almost 3 years now and we are both more than ready to leave! We are hoping to get orders to Europe soon. Germany, Italy, Spain, Great Britain - we would take anything... Wink Before DH got orders to the US he was stationed in Italy - we both loved it there. As I was born and raised in Europe I just feel at home there, and I would love to have my family close again!

But, as PP said, in the end it depends on what you make out of it. There are good things and bad things everywhere you go.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Me too!  I move to Italy in October of 2008.  I am so over it.  Everything here is so much harder.  The gas stations close mid-day, I have to have my heating fuel delivered to my house and have to check it regularly with a stick (very high tech), my internet sucks.  Add trying to get everything I need for my coming baby and I'm about to lose my mind.  I miss my family and feel a little guilty that I am making it so hard for them to meet this new little one.  My sister will not even meet him until he is 6 months old.  We will PCS in October and I can't wait.  I loved the chance to travel and had some good experiences, but now that I'm going to have a baby I just want to be home.
  • Options

Too bad...we were at Spangdahlem for 3 years and loved it (now that's rural!).  We missed little things about America, but since we've been back it all seems a little overrated.  We never actually go to Walmart at 2 am and don't need a 64 oz coke with every meal.

Hope you start enjoying yourself soon...the summers in that part of the country are beautiful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"