Special Needs

How do you even answer a question like this?

Oh dear, at 4 almost 5, my ds asked me, after telling him which therapists would be coming to see him today (3 total), "why do they all have to come see me?" I didn't even know how to answer that, that would be remotely understandable for him. All I could say was that they all want to come see him because he is their friend. Probably totally wrong, but I was just thrown for a loop.

And hey Auntie, ready for April yet? Big Smile 

Re: How do you even answer a question like this?

• I think that's the perfect (and really only) answer to give a 4-almost-5 year old kid. 

When my DD is older, I know we'll have to have the conversation about why she goes to therapy, why her schoolwork is modified, etc.  I'm thinking I'll handle it something like "well, everybody has something that challenges them, and for you [insert focus of therapy here] is challenging.  So we've asked [insert therapist name here] to help you learn how to do it."  But that's for waaay down the road.  For now, her therapists are her friends, and we tell her she gets to play with Miss Bea today, or Miss Elizabeth, etc.

• Auntie, you're a wise lady.  I like your approach better.  :)

Thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, as soon as I said that, I knew I probably shouldn't have said that about them being friends. I guess that conversation probably needs to happen, just didn't realize it would be so soon.
  • I had to address this too recently, though it is my typical DD that is wondering why her brother gets to "play" with therapists.  For speech I've told them that DS has trouble saying some words so Ms. Jen helps him to talk better.  For OT I tell them that Ms. Rebecca helps DS to be more focused.  That is really enough for both of them.  I've also started working "Autistic" into it a bit, like "W is Autistic so saying some words is hard for him."  They are happy with that for now.
    DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"