Preemies

Tell me all about your 31 weeker please!

My 33 weeker is now a healthy, happy three year old and you would NEVER guess he'd been a preemie. Now my brother and his wife are likely to have a 31 weeker (she's hospitalized, the baby's heartbeat is erratic on the monitors and they're tryign to wait on at least one steriod shot to take full effect before taking him).

So:

1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy?

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver?

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long?

4. How long was your NICU stay?

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)?

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up?

7. Anything else I can pass along to them?

8. How big (height and weight) was your dc?

9. Why did you deliver early?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tell me all about your 31 weeker please!

• ayramayram member
    imageMrs Manners:

My 33 weeker is now a healthy, happy three year old and you would NEVER guess he'd been a preemie. Now my brother and his wife are likely to have a 31 weeker (she's hospitalized, the baby's heartbeat is erratic on the monitors and they're tryign to wait on at least one steriod shot to take full effect before taking him).

So:

1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy? Boy

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver? 2 shots around 26 weeks, delivered at 31 weeks 2 days

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long?  C-Pap for 4 days, oxygen through nasal prongs for about 5 days

4. How long was your NICU stay?  5 weeks

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)?  Breastfeeding went surprisingly well.  Under the lights for a few days.   No major issues.

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up?  He was a little slower to talk,  but now talks non-stop.  He was later to walk (19 mo or so).  He is now almost 4 - happy and healthy,

7. Anything else I can pass along to them? It's greatthat you're doing this for them - it's always encouraging  to hear success stories. Hope that all goes well for them!

ETA: 3lbs 14 oz, spontaneous preterm labour

Mom to 4 boys under age 6 Evan, Darren, Liam & Isaac
  • 1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy?  Boy

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver?  Yes, delivered DS 48 hours after receiving them.

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long?  No

4. How long was your NICU stay? 6 weeks

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)?  Level 3 brain bleed, spinal tap, feeding issues (spit up green stuff, sleepy feeder), jaundice

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up?  DS is 2 years old, he's ahead of age in verbal, but is a little behind in fine motor and gross motor.  He didn't start walking totally on his own until 21 months.  But now he's running like a champ and learning to climb stairs independently.

7. Anything else I can pass along to them?  As you know, each child will do things at their own pace.  It was nerve racking that DS didn't walk until so late when everyone else's child was, but once he did he really took off! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • My 31.5 weeker is a month old today and still in the NICU. 1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy? Boy2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver? I had one round of steroids and delivered 12 hours later, so I don't think there was sufficient time for the them to help all that much initially.3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long? He was on CPAP for his first night, then on oxygen for a few days, then room air4. How long was your NICU stay? Today is day 28. We are looking at another week probably.5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)? Feeding is by far the biggest issue. We have been very fortunate to have an uncomplicated NICU stay so far. For the past two weeks or so, we have just been working on feeding issues, which is the only thing at this point keeping him from being home. He did not have any jaundice issues. Since he was less than 32 weeks, he automatically got a head ultrasound to rule out any hemorrhage, and automatically gets an eye exam to evaluate for retinopathy.6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up?Can't assess this yet. 7. Anything else I can pass along to them?Every baby is different- try not to compare babies in the NICU (easier said than done). Be patient (also easier said than done)- its so hard not to have the baby home, but the baby is in a safe place being in the NICU. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • 1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy?Ella was 30w 5d and a girl

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver? Yes but I did not get to beta complete she was born about 4 hours after the second shot (they were hoping for 24 hours after second shot)

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long?Yes, she was intubated for 12 hrs, cpap for 4 days, high flow nasal canula for 2 weeks.  Always on room air no additional oxygen

4. How long was your NICU stay? 69 days

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)? She was under the billi lights for a few days, pda which closed after 2 rounds of meds, nec scare.  She had apnea and bradys which where her biggest problem.  She was slow to gain weight and took a long time to get to an open crib.  She had all the typical problems and took her sweet time growing out of them.  Feeding was not a huge issue although it took her a very long time to get it.  Since she was still spelling multiple times per day it didn't cause me as much stress as it does for some since I knew we were not going anywhere.

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up?Ella met her milestones around her adjusted age or a little behind.  She is still behind on speech but does not qualify for services at this time.  In most other areas she is at her actual age or ahead (she scored at 26 months for social emotional at 19 months).

7. Anything else I can pass along to them? Live day by day and remember to laugh and enjoy your family.  Even if it is stuck in the nicu.  I had a preemie book which was helpful but tell her not to read the whole thing (you do not want to know all the things that could go wrong).  Oh and I wish I kept a better journal or record on the blog of milestones in the nicu.  I have to go back and look at pictures to figure out what happened when.

8. How big (height and weight) was your dc? 2lb 5 oz 14 in

9. Why did you deliver early? hellp
  • Thanks for your responses. They are taking him within the hour. The cord is wrapped around his neck and he's measuring behind at 29 weeks. Thoughts and prayers appreciated.
  • imageMrs Manners:

So:

1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy? My 30 week twins are boys.

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver? I had asked for the steroid shot ALL DAY (I was in labor for 21 hours total) and the doctor refused to give it to me. He kept saying "Oh you won't deliver soon" Yeah... right. Anyway, I got one shot right before I was put in the ambulance to be transfered to a bigger hospital. So, it was in for an hour and a half before I delivered.

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long? Yes they needed assistance. They were on CPAP and nasal cannulas. Taylen was on a nasal cannula until he was about 40 days old or so and Tage until he was about 50 days old.

4. How long was your NICU stay? Taylen was there for 48 days and Tage for 58 days.

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)? all of the mentioned. They were on the bili lights for a couple days, but not long. They had issues with temp until they were about a month old at least. They had to learn how to eat so they were feed through a tube (first down month, then down nose) until about a week before they went home. We had issues with bradys/apneas as well. Tage came home on an apnea monitor. He was on it until he was 4 months old. He had his last apnea when he was 3 months old, but we kept it on for a month after to make sure he was done having them.

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up? They are meeting the milestones closer to their adjusted age.

7. Anything else I can pass along to them? Ask questions. Our nurses were amazing in the NICU. When the doctors would do rounds, the nurses would stand by us and "translate" into normal talk so we could understand exactly what was going on.

Also, try to take time for yourself. I wanted to be in the NICU 24/7 but it eventually wore me down. Hard. I live about an hour away from the NICU where the boys were so it got exhausting to be there all the time. A night away can make a world of a difference.

8. How big (height and weight) was your dc? Taylen (BabyA) was 3 lbs 3 oz 14 inches long and Tage (BabyB) was 3 lbs 8 oz 15 inches long

Long story short-I was put on bedrest at 28 weeks because my cervix was shortening. At 29w6d I went into PTL. Was in labor for 21 hours while they tried to stop it. I delivered when I was 30w exactly. We found out after delivery that Taylen's (BabyA) umbilical cord and placenta were infected. It is called Chorioamnionitis (sp?). Even if they could have stopped the PTL, we would've had to deliver anyway because of this. It can be fatal and the only option is to deliver the baby.

GL to your brother, wife, and baby!

• 1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy? Boy

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver? No

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long?  I am thinking CPAP and oxygen at the beginning, not very long though. 

4. How long was your NICU/ISCU stay? 35 daus

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)?  Jaundice, little bit of blood in stool, learning to feed by bottle, gaining weight

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up?  I honestly go by adjusted age when looking at milestones.  It is just easier. 

7. Anything else I can pass along to them? I visited my baby every day.  And I tried to learn as much as possible on taking care of the baby from the nurses.  I also went to a NICU parent support group.  And I talked to the social work about how I was feeling and about government assistance. 

8. How big (height and weight) was your dc? He was 4lbs 9oz when he was born, he is over 22 lbs now.

9. Why did you deliver early?  My water broke close to 31 weeks. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • ijackijack member

I actually had a 29.5 weeker, but I'll play :) 

1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy? girl

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver? 2 - 6w before she was born

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long? she was on cpap for 6 hours, no other breathing help

4. How long was your NICU stay? 50 days

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)? horrible jaundice (3 weeks under the lights), feeding has always been an issue

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up? gross was caught up by 1, speech by 2, weight by 3

8. How big (height and weight) was your dc? 2lbs 12oz, 15.5"

9. Why did you deliver early?abruption causing PTL
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • imageMrs Manners:

1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy? BOY, 31 weeks 5 days

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver? Only had time for 1 shot, but not effective b/c delivered within 4 hours of it

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long? Miraculously no.  

4. How long was your NICU stay? 47 days

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)? Bili lights for 2 weeks, apnea, and very slow in feeding

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up?  Never was behind on gross motor and actually started walking ahead of his actual age.  Fine motor more in line with adjusted age.  But has feeding delays.  

7. Anything else I can pass along to them?  I wish I would have done a blog or kept a journal while in NICU.  At the time everything just seemed too scary but that soon passes.

8. How big (height and weight) was your dc?  3lbs 13ozs

water unexpectedly broke
  • 1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy? Boy

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver? yes. I was put on Mag so I could get in both doses, given 24 hours apart. I delivered 24 hours after the last does.

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long? He was on CPAP for a day, then moved to forced air for a day, room air for a few days, and then Oxygen for the remainder of his stay.

4. How long was your NICU stay? 7 weeks

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)? My DS had several NEC scares with blood in his stool, not tolerating feedings, bloated belly. It ended up being an allergy to breast milk, dairy and soy due to an inmature pancreas. He was put on special formula until just a few days ago.

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up? He didn't do anything but roll until he was 9 months (actual) then he took off and within a few weeks was doing everything but walking. He walked shortly after his first birthday. Now his weight is in the 4th percentile for his actual age, but we are just glad he is on the growth charts.

7. Anything else I can pass along to them? NICU is tough! It's good to talk about what you're going thru and it's okay to be sad and angry at what has happened to get you there. Everyone in NICU has a roller coaster. lots of ups and downs. they also need to make sure they take care of themselves...get lots of sleep, eat properly, ask for help. Because it is a very difficult thing to go thru NICU.

8. How big (height and weight) was your dc? He was born at exactly 31 weeks and was 4 lbs and 17 in. He dropped down to 3 lbs 8 oz at his smallest and was discharged at 6lbs 15 oz.

9. Why did you deliver early? Partial Placental Abruption

Gl to them!

• 1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy?

Girl-- (now 10 months old)

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver?

2 shots at 30 weeks (1 week prior to delivery).

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long?  She needed the lowest level of CPAP for 2 weeks or so and then she got a breathing tube for 2 weeks and then for 1 week she had no tubes and we took her home.  Also needed feeding tube for 3 weeks.

4. How long was your NICU stay? 5 weeks

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)? 

Baby couldn't tolerate Human Milk Fortifier.  We gave her pumped breast milk only.  She was under the bili lights for two days, off them and then under them again for another 2 days.  It was an emotional roller coaster for us but in retrospect so typical that we really shouldn't have worried.

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up?  I really never felt she was far behind.  She is now cruising around and babbling and ahead of some kids her age (10 months).  Also, she weighs more than a lot of full term babies--I just kept feeding her.

7. Anything else I can pass along to them?  Tell them to be strong and stay focused on getting baby healthy and home.  31 weeks is great.  My docs were all super-positive about the outcome.  I remember we were not fully informed about what it would be like initially when we first saw her.  We panicked when her heart stopped beating.  No one warned us that their hearts stop ALL THE TIME.  They just have to rub her feet or something and she'll start up again immediately.  Meanwhile, we thought we lost her.  Horrible.  Also, they recommended that we stick a tape recorder in the incubator so that she could hear our voices--that was a mistake!  It was totally overstimulating and too loud in there.  They need a break more than they need constant reminders of you.  I didn't really care too much about dressing her up in outfits and stuff like that, but the nurses really like to see that you are invested in your child, so take the time to be there as often as possible and make the incubator a cute homie place.  We hung up our Christmas card and a nameplate with cute stuff on it.  I eventually dressed her in hand-me-down preemie clothes from other moms.  I just think it makes a difference for the nurses.

8. How big (height and weight) was your dc? 3 lbs 2 oz

9. Why did you deliver early? Water broke unexpectedly.
    I chose my name back when I was a lurker in 2005--it was true then, but I'd like to change it now... I have a 16-month-old who was born at 31 weeks due to PROM and doing awesome--walking, talking and nice and chunky. I am currently 37 weeks pregnant with number 2 and being really cautious.
  • 1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy? 2 girls

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver? Yes, I recieved them at 26 weeks and again at 30 weeks

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long? Kayla was on a vent for a few weeks while Rebecca was only on nasal cannula. Rebecca was on room air after about 3 days.

4. How long was your NICU stay? Kayla was there for 97 days and Rebecca was there for 36 days

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)? Both had jaundice. Kayla needed 2 intestinal surgeries due to having 2 perforations. Kayla also had feeding issues and weight gain issues. Kayla also got a bone infection thanks to an infiltrated IV (yeah, I was pissed!). Rebecca was just there to feed and grow.

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up? They have been on target for thier adjusted age from the begining. They are starting to catch up to thier chronological age. Currently we are still dealing with them not walking yet and some oral motor/speech delays.

7. Anything else I can pass along to them? Stay strong and know that this is only temporary. Baby will be home soon and the NICU will soon be a memory. That is what I kept telling myself everyday.

8. How big (height and weight) was your dc? Kayla was 3 lb 2 oz (got down to 2 lb) and 16 inches long. Rebecca was 3lb 6 oz and was 16.5 inches long.

9. Why did you deliver early? PTL and unexpected water break.
  • my lo was 30w1d.1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy? boy2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver? had the shot the day before csection3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long? yes for the first day. he was intubated for a few hrs. 4. How long was your NICU stay? 8 weeks.5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)? apnea and feeding kept us there. He was on bili lights for about 2 weeks.6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? i have found out this varies greatly. My LO is 9.5 months/7adjusted. I haven't really noticed a delay in milestones that would stand out. My niece was born 5 days after LO and nephew a month before, and my LO does some things before them, or is a few weeks behind, nothing stands out w/ him as being behind. Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up? technically aren't considered caught up til age 2. 7. Anything else I can pass along to them? The nicu stay is long, stressful, and seems never-ending, it is a roller coaster that no one else will understand unless they lived it, so just stay positive, and do as much w/ the baby as they can there to feel connected. Don't think twice about calling the nicu (anytime of day/night) when they are not there to get updates on LO. Just when they think they can't handle much more, the baby will be ready to come home :)
    8. How big (height and weight) was your dc? 2.4 lb and 15 in.

9. Why did you deliver early? Severe HELLP
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image noah joined us 10 weeks early.
  • 1. Was your 31 weeker a girl or a boy? BOY

2. Did you have steroid shots? If so, how many and how long afterwards did you deliver? i had two steriod shots in a 48 hours period

3. Did your baby need respiratory assistance? If so, what type and for how long? he was on oxygen for about a day and a half

4. How long was your NICU stay? 5 weeks

5. What challenges did your preemie face in the NICU (feeding, growing, temp regulation, bili lights, etc)? he had alot of apena issues they had to give him caffene to help keep him alert

6. How far behind on milestones was your preemie typically? Were they met by adjusted age? If your preemie is older now, at what age was he/she fully caught up? my son is almost 3 months old now so adjusted age is almost 4 weeks he still hasnt social smiled yet so he just acting like a normal newborn now

8. How big (height and weight) was your dc? he was a biggin for 31.4 weeks he was 3.5 pounds and 17 inches

9. Why did you deliver early? i developed preclamsica and they couldnt control my blood pressure
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"