School-Aged Children

Clicky Poll Question:

Did your preschool suggest holding back your child in pre-k?

I am asking this because recently DD's teachers suggested holding her back in pre-k.  In talking to others and a few educators, they say this is common.  I was wondering how common.

[Poll]

Re: Clicky Poll Question:

• No, they told me she was ready for KG despite being an August baby.  She's done awesome this year, top reading group.   I also don't live in an area with a lot of redshirting.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nathan was in preschool due to an IEP, I wish they had kept him out of Kindergarten for another year.  Instead he did Kindergarten, then 1/2 day kindergarten and 1/2 1st grade and then all first grade.  Basically all of those little friends he made when he started in kindy the first time, moved along while he didn't.  That was and has been hard. 

So they did not, but I wish they had.

• Loading the player...
  • I voted no.  My DS is Autistic and verbally Apraxic (so he is difficult to understand) has social/emotional delays and is entering a typical Kindie class in the fall.  June birthday.  I have talked to everyone that works with him (school district and private therapists) none think I should hold him back.
    DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • imageshopgirl78:
    No, they told me she was ready for KG despite being an August baby.  She's done awesome this year, top reading group.   I also don't live in an area with a lot of redshirting.

Ditto the first part but I do live in an area with a lot of redshirting. 

• I voted yes but the suggestion wasn't posed as "DS needs to wait. Period". He is an August baby and academically advanced. However, he is also an only child and a bit emotionally immature. PS teacher went over pros and cons of sending him forward with me. We decided to have him start kg right after he turned five. He does well - in 3rd grade reading at a 7th grade level but most of his friends are younger than him. It's a tough call.
    Weigh In #7 -Fat and Sassy Em

Welcome to the dark side
  • My DD#1 is in a PreK program this year that she is going to repeat.  She was born with a brain injury although is totally fine other than a sever speech delay.  She has an IEP, is in speech therapy through the school district and is making great strides with her speech class.  SHe is  mid-June birthday with a Sept 1 cut-off, is tiny compared to her friends.  She is also very young acting and just not ready to start kindergarten socially and honestly academically.  a lof the social and acdemic reasons are related to the whole speech delay.  Her current prek teachers (who she will have again next year) and her speech teachers all recommened holding her back which DH and I had already been thinking about.  We just feel that given all of her speech challenges, the extra year will do her some good.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"