D.C. Area Babies

Did you deliver at Shady Grove Adventist?

HI! I'm just curious. If you delivered at Shady Grove Adventist (Rockville) what items did they provide for you - robe? slippers? etc. I'm trying to pack a bag and don't want to bring a ton with me but I also don't want to be uncomfortable!

Thanks 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Did you deliver at Shady Grove Adventist?

• Hi and congrats on expecting.

I was provided a hospital gown and slip-resistant socks and wore those for my stay. They have toiletries but I'd bring your own. If you want slippers or a robe, bring those from home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • ditto pp - but I'll add that the gown they provide after delivery is different than a regular hospital gown, it is still open in the back I think but the sleeves also snap down and it has a sort of pleated front that covers openings for nursing.  I didn't trust that those pleats would stay closed if I moved around and we had visitors so I was glad I brought a robe. I brought slippers but didn't use them much - the socks they gave would have been fine. i was happy to have all my own toiletries, it just felt nice to get cleaned up with my stuff.

rather than bring a ton of stuff in when i was first admitted, I only brought what i thought i needed for labor and left the baby stuff and our other stuff in the car.  then after DS was born and i was switched to my new room DH went and got the other stuff from the car and brought our labor stuff back to the car.

do make sure to bring some food and snacks - even though I delivered in the early afternoon, they forgot to order me dinner and of course there is no food for your DH. DH went out and got pizza which was much tastier anyway!

• Loading the player...
  • I wore the hospital gown, mesh panties, and socks the whole time I was there.  I brought my toiletries.  I had a Csection and didn't have a ton of visitors, so the provided stuff was just easier for me to deal with.  THey provided everything you need for the baby. 

Make sure you post your experience.  I am having twins there this summer and when I delivered DD there were still shared rooms.  I am interested in your twin experience to see if it a lot different. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I brought my robe and slippers, but I used what they gave me, the robe was nice to have since I went to the BF class they have for new moms. The only things I really needed from home were my toiletries and hairbrush/toothbrush etc. I did switch into some sweats with my nursing bra/gown the 2nd day before I went home, I was ready to get into my own clothes. I had a good experience and the rooms are nice and large.

• I just had DS at SGH 3 weeks ago.  I had a c/s, so the first 24hrs. I was in the hospital gown only and the colossal maxi pad/mesh undies they provide.  There was also a stash of those items in my room.  They also had some type of shampoo/body wash in the bathroom and a HAIR DRYER!!  It just made me feel more human to be able to dry my hair.  After the first 24 hrs. I wore my own clothes during the day, but asked for a new hospital gown each night for sleeping.  I also preferred to wear my own undies/maxi pad.  But I didn't have super heavy bleeding.  They also have DVD players in the mother/baby rooms, so bring some movies, if you want.  The food was half decent.  I got to circle the items I wanted on the main menu, but if there wasn't anything I liked, I could also order from the alternate menu too. 
  • Great, thanks for the help!
  • imagekatezta:

Make sure you post your experience.  I am having twins there this summer and when I delivered DD there were still shared rooms.  I am interested in your twin experience to see if it a lot different. 

Hi! I'll definitely try and remember to post afterward.  My DH and I went on the hospital tour but one thing we found to be the most helpful was contacting the Birth Advisor that they advertise now. Our only reason for going was to tour the NICU but it ended up that she took an hour and walked us through everything we could expect about delivering twins there whether vaginal or c-section.  It was very personal and comfortable.   I'd highly recommend contacting her. (Of course I forgot to ask about items provided etc, hence my post!)

• I agree with PPs. They provided non-slip socks, mesh undies, and a hospital gown for me. They also kept a stash of the undies and multiple types of pads in the recovery room. I LOVED the cold pads; I wanted to keep using them even after the swelling went down but they wouldn't replenish those for me. :(

They did provide shampoo and conditioner, and a hair dryer too, along with sheets for the single couch for DH. The room was a private room that was a good size and had a TV and DVD player.  

Good luck! 

Oh, Baby Bean! We will always miss you! With us for 6w3d -- June 9, 2008.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2 years of TTC, Seeing RE Feb 09, 2 medicated TI cycles - BFNs, 3 medicated IUIs - BFNs, back to medicated TI cycles until IVF approval, IVF approved in March 2010. BFP on last medicated TI cycle.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"